If you had the money would you educate your kids privately?

paddy

Would you put your kids into private education if you had the money?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Would you put your kids into private education if you had the money?

• Yes
    • No
    • I already do

In my case hypothetical kids, in yours maybe not.

I came through the state system and did very well out of it. A lot (but not all) private school kids I meet at uni are so stuck up it's untrue. But they have surely had a better education. It's a tough one. Suppose it depends on the standard of the state schools where I lived but I'd like to send them to a state school I reckon.

I'd consider it, but I think state schools are perfectly good. I went to a state grammar school and like to think i did pretty well out of it.

And I agree Paddy, most private school people can be very stuck up. I'm not surprised you feel that way being in Leeds, the amount of "Rahs" at that uni is amazing!

I went to state school and had absolutely the time of my life. I'm happy with who I am, I wouldnt have minded a private education with public school people. At at Uni I met alot of public schoolers who so up their own arses it was unreal. However it does work both ways, there were state schoolers who refused to be friends with 'snobs'.

I went to state schhols and have no kids atm, but I'd love them. I'd judge it on the merits of the school I guess; private schools aren't necessarily better; I have friends from private and state schools, although I admit that when I was at Uni I really found many private school pupils way too up themselves, but most have mellowed over time, the ones who haven't would've been pricks anyway.

I know some of the most left wing leaning people who were so anti private school until they had kids and then they had something of a rethink. I live in Hackney and whilst my local primary school is fantastic (no I don't hang around the playground) I'd not want them to go to a secondary round here.

I don't think I'd like my kids to board - it's important to be around your parents and besides, I'm not going through all that effort to bring up children only to miss a huge part of their upbringing.

Additionally, when I came to do my A levels I went for an assisted place at our local private school Gresham's in Norfolk. I got through so I'd have recieved free tuition, but I'd have had to board (not THAT local) and even when they offered to waive 75% of the boarding fees we still couldn't affford it. My dad's response? "good, they turn out right little shits those places." Gee, thanks dad.

And I agree Paddy, most private school people can be very stuck up. I'm not surprised you feel that way being in Leeds, the amount of "Rahs" at that uni is amazing!

I've heard similar about Leeds Uni.

Got to love the 'Rah' girls tho. If Uni has taught me anything, it that 'Rah' girls are always the dirtiest.

I've heard similar about Leeds Uni.

Got to love the 'Rah' girls tho. If Uni has taught me anything, it that 'Rah' girls are always the dirtiest.

:nod:

Id definitely consider it. But given that I dont have the money, I havent really given it any thought. Difficult question to answer.

No way would I say no just on sheer principle though.

Agree with that Rev. I think I'd be more inclined to do it if I felt like my child needed it. i think in most cases it is a better education, so if my child wasn't as bright as some I'd consider it as they may need a better education. If my child was a clever one though, and I felt he would do well regardless of what school he went to, I'd still look for a good school but I think i would steer clear of Private school

I'd consider it, but I think state schools are perfectly good. I went to a state grammar school and like to think i did pretty well out of it

If everywhere had state grammar schools I suspect the private sector of education would be very limited. I think getting rid of grammar schools was one of the most short sighted things that Labour have ever done, and was counter productive.

In the end its what is the best education (and dare I say extra cirriculum activities; i.e. sport) available to you as parent and for your child.

Yes and I do currently. Why? because if you're an atheist like me, its really hard to find a decent school that isn't CofE or Cathlolic in Liverpool. All the no-dom schools are shit, they are the dumping grounds. And there was no way I was playing the pretend to go to church regularly to get my child into a school that my tax money pays for. Even the CofE schools required a letter from your vicar / priest stating that you regularly attended church and that was defined as 3 weeks in 4. Bugger that I'D RATHER PAY especially as my daughter has always been very bright and now at the age of 12 has an IQ in excess of 130

I'm with Bicks, there's no way on earth that I'd send my kids to a school that was aligned with a particular religion. My wife's sister has just had their eleven year old christened so he could get into a god bothering school, sheer hypocrisy if you ask me.

Mine are down to go to one when they are old enough , Had an assessment for the 4 yr old last week ... The school is fantastic and the sport facilities put bodymoore to shame

I think some of the attitudes about private schools are quite old fashioned tbh .... When i went to the open day it wasn't full of Lord and Lady McRich not by any stretch .. some parents just decide that they are prepared to sacrifice a few things to get their children the best education they can get ... sure it's not cheap but I figure they can pay me back when i am old and they are running the country

My mate was talking to me about it the other day and said yeah but he won't grow up having mates that are builders , office clerks and so on (whatever that meant) .. as if to imply that going to a posh school will turn him into a snob ... I just don't see it , of course time will tell on that one .... besides , I hope his school will teach him it's always handy to have a tradesman about to stop one having to get ones hands dirty :winkold:

tricky one this.

in my experience most of the privately educated (the ones with pots of money) are not very nice people at all.

but if your home life is grounded then i don't see it being a big problem.

although there is no way on earth i would send my kids to a place where they may possibly be looked down on because of the size of a wallet.

not in a million years.

I don't think I would. Private schools are very rare in Norway and I disagree with the teaching methods used in those who do exist. Besides, I disagree with paying for education in principle (not that I blame anyone for doing it given the opertunity). My own experiences from Norwegian state schools are also far too good for me to really see the need for anything better.

Â