If you had the money would you educate your kids privately?

paddy

Would you put your kids into private education if you had the money?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Would you put your kids into private education if you had the money?

• Yes
    • No
    • I already do

I went to a grammar school and there was no football played.

Rugby, cricket, hockey, tennis and athletics, and that was it!

that was the reason i deliberatly failed the entrance exam to QM Grammer at Walsall. My parents were desperate for me to go but I never told them that all I wanted to do was to play football and the thought of going to a school that never played it was repellent even though I was 11.

Got a scholarship - never took it up.

Got a brilliant offer from Loughborough and the Oxbridge Unis when that age - never took them up either.

Missed out - I don't think so.

Would I pay for Aston to go to a fee paying school, only if it was HIS decision. It wasn't so I don't. He wanted to stay with his mates and play football....

There are too many people out there who impose their own wishes and desires onto their children without considering them for me.

There are too many people out there who impose their own wishes and desires onto their children without considering them for me.

that is so spot on Al, Tony mentioned earlier his child had an assesment at 4 !!! 4 FFS for me at that age education is about playing, exploring and seeing what the world is like, not being assessed.

It is Tony's choice but I will see what Amy is like and if she wants to go somewhere I will back her 100% in what she does but I will never push her. So for example if I find out she is excellent at Maths but crap at English I will tell her to do the basics in English but concetrate all efforts on Maths. If she is good at a sport I will give her all the encouragment possible at the possibility of some subjects being dropped.

Academic acheivement is NOT for all

Isn’t parenting the constant balancing of children vs parents wishes. Whether it be forcing them to eat Broccoli or getting them to stop playing on the wii and get outside. Parents in the end have to do what they think is best and sometimes its not a popular choice [scenes of Papa Barnesi forcing young George to learn the history of Aston Villa; years 1893-1896...)

that is so spot on Al, Tony mentioned earlier his child had an assesment at 4 !!! 4 FFS for me at that age education is about playing, exploring and seeing what the world is like, not being assessed.

Better send your kids to a fee paying school then, far less assessment there than a state school in the junior and infant years

And I'll wager that Tony's four year olds assessment was more to make sure there weren't any learning difficulties / other problems than actually testing the child for intelligence.

Better send your kids to a fee paying school then, far less assessment there than a state school in the junior and infant years

Not so, we had that very discussion recently. The teesting that goes on locally seems to be pretty much exactly the same.

Also there is too much regardless of which school it is. That came from a lecturer in education, who I wasn't aware was that high in her field!

Very much different in my experience Al, all my daughter was "tested" on pre senior school were the three R's and the schools certainly didn't subscribe to the key stage assessments of the govt schools. Anyway my decision was based on not wanting my child indoctrinated by christian fuckwits - far more harmful than a few tests

Very much different in my experience Al, all my daughter was "tested" on pre senior school were the three R's and the schools certainly didn't subscribe to the key stage assessments of the govt schools. Anyway my decision was based on not wanting my child indoctrinated by christian fuckwits - far more harmful than a few tests

Ah well Aston never went to an affiliated school wich in a town whose names comes from 'The Hamlet of Churches' was a rather nice surprise.

When looking for a school we did get the 'how often do you attend ....'

luckily Bicks I don;t have that issue !!

now if you had to send your child to the new Dartmouth school !!

No chance, that would give me a serious issue. That "benefactor" is barking mad. Fundamental Christian nutter and despite what it says in the prospectus you'd have to winder about his motives

And I'll wager that Tony's four year olds assessment was more to make sure there weren't any learning difficulties / other problems than actually testing the child for intelligence.

spot on , the just take them for a chat and to watch them play , they don't get Sir Alan Sugar in to interview them in the boardroom ..TBH I'd be surprised if they didn't do that at every school anyway

There are too many people out there who impose their own wishes and desires onto their children without considering them for me

interesting concept , I wouldn't say I was imposing my wishes on my children though .. We took him along to the open day and asked him if he would like to go to that school , he said yes , so we followed up on it and took him back for the afore mentioned assessment ....Arguably we give him to much freedom to choose , he is only 4 , after all .... I think there is a balance between doing whats right for children though , it's not as cut and dried as imposing ones will over them ... I'm sure he would rather stay up all night playing with Wall-E , but there comes a time when he has to go to bed , is that imposing over them ?

I've no doubt every parent thinks what they are doing is right , but it's like a lot of things , it's all about choice and opinions and there are no right or wrong answers .... I recall from a previous topic that some parents on here use a naughty step , personally I don't , doesn't mean using one is wrong though , just a different choice ....

Tony, my interesting concept comes more from being on the PTA and helping out the governors time to time when Aston was at primary.

The number of people who obviously do their childrens homework (still do at high school in some cases) so that the kid will get good marks and be thoguht of as possible grammar material was scary.

"Mrs X, I've had a report that you or another member of your family seems to be completing little Johnny's english course work"

"Err No, he does it all himsefl"

"Then please explain the correct use of the apostrophe as it's something the school hasn't even mentioned to him. That and the correct spelling of his work makes us wonder if you're pushing him toohard"

"But I want him to do well"

At this point the teacher and I merely offered a cup of tea and noted it.

Just one instance but in sport it can be even worse. I've had to remind at least four parents this season that the majority of our team is not even 13 yet.

Â