Champions League 2024/25

maqroll

I must admit the Villa fans singing “Is this the way to Barcelona” yesterday sounded class. For those who haven’t heard it, there are a few videos and podcasts doing the rounds. 

Phil McNulty of the BBC says Unai is manager of the year

"Brilliant achievement by Villa manager Unai Emery and his players to reach the Champions League for the first time. Manager of the year in my opinion – all after losing 5-1 at Newcastle United on the opening day of the season.

Ollie Watkins led superbly from the front but this was an all-round team effort shaped by an elite manager who has proved to be a superb appointment. There was disappointment at losing in the Europa Conference League, mainly because Emery had a fine record in European cup competitions."

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Surely this doesn't make any sense? If Atalanta end 6th then yes Roma will qualify by coming 5th 

31 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Surely this doesn't make any sense? If Atalanta end 6th then yes Roma will qualify by coming 5th 

As the 5th spot got added recently then if Atalanta finish in 4th or above then Roma are put

Farcically Atalanta vs Fiorentina is played a week after the season ends and if results go right Serie A could have a 9th spot in Europe

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

My initial reaction too, but the rule for the 5th coefficient spot is that it is allocated to the highest ranked club in the league not already qualified for Champions League. If Atalanta is 5th then the 5th coefficient spot will go to Roma. But Italy will lose one of their Europa League spots , giving them a total of 8 clubs in Europe. 

3.03: Additionally, the UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League titleholders are each guaranteed a place in the league phase even if they do not qualify for the competition through their domestic championships. If the UEFA Champions League or UEFA Europa League titleholder qualifies for the UEFA Europa League or UEFA Conference League through one of its domestic competitions, the number of places to which its association is entitled in the UEFA Europa League or UEFA Conference League is reduced by one

3.07: Finally, the two associations whose affiliated clubs achieved the best collective performance in the previous season of the UEFA men’s club competitions (i.e. best season club association coefficient), in accordance with the season coefficient principles (see Annex D.3), are each entitled to an additional place in the league phase, known as a European performance spot (EPS). The EPS is allocated to the club that finishes the relevant association's domestic championship in the highest position of all those that do not qualify for the league phase of the UEFA Champions League via the domestic championship (after any vacancies have been filled in accordance with Paragraph 3.04 to Paragraph 3.06). The two associations' overall quota of clubs qualifying to UEFA club competitions are each increased by one club.

UEFA rules for CL qualification

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, viivvaa66 said:

My initial reaction too, but the rule for the 5th coefficient spot is that it is allocated to the highest ranked club in the league not already qualified for Champions League. If Atalanta is 5th then the 5th coefficient spot will go to Roma. But Italy will lose one of their Europa League spots , giving them a total of 8 clubs in Europe. 

3.03: Additionally, the UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League titleholders are each guaranteed a place in the league phase even if they do not qualify for the competition through their domestic championships. If the UEFA Champions League or UEFA Europa League titleholder qualifies for the UEFA Europa League or UEFA Conference League through one of its domestic competitions, the number of places to which its association is entitled in the UEFA Europa League or UEFA Conference League is reduced by one

3.07: Finally, the two associations whose affiliated clubs achieved the best collective performance in the previous season of the UEFA men’s club competitions (i.e. best season club association coefficient), in accordance with the season coefficient principles (see Annex D.3), are each entitled to an additional place in the league phase, known as a European performance spot (EPS). The EPS is allocated to the club that finishes the relevant association's domestic championship in the highest position of all those that do not qualify for the league phase of the UEFA Champions League via the domestic championship (after any vacancies have been filled in accordance with Paragraph 3.04 to Paragraph 3.06). The two associations' overall quota of clubs qualifying to UEFA club competitions are each increased by one club.

UEFA rules for CL qualification

We’ll keep it simple by winning the Champions League, to avoid any complications. 

On 20/05/2024 at 04:37, Frodo said:

Emery will know how to build a sqaud for Europe he has been in Europe for 18 straight seasons now

I love this fact 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With the way Fiorentina match ended now, if they win Conference final Italy will have 9!! teams in Europe 😂 Their cooeficient will be very hard to maintain so might help us for next year 

2 hours ago, Alakagom said:

With the way Fiorentina match ended now, if they win Conference final Italy will have 9!! teams in Europe 😂 Their cooeficient will be very hard to maintain so might help us for next year 

I have seen this mention in different news outlet on the internet. I do not agree, but I could be wrong here.

Here is how I believe it will work:

If Atalanta end up in 5th place in the league, Italy will get 6 teams in Champions League, the teams placed from 1 to 6 in the league. Since Atalanta is qualified for Europe League with their 5th place finish, Italy will lose one Europa League spot, meaning 7th place will get Europa League and 8th place get Conference League.
See section 3.03

If Fiorentina wins the Conference League final they qualify for Europa League next season. But since Fiorentina is qualified for Conference League with their 8th place in the league, Italy would lose their Conference League spot. Giving Italy a total of 8 teams in Europe. 
See section 3.07

8 hours ago, Alakagom said:

Will be worse for the average

Do we have more clarity on the teams now qualified for the CL?

I think the last one posted on here was before last weekend, so some leagues will now have resolved their positions. 

Â