Pre Match Thread - Cup Final 10 of 10

Not that it matters but we could get absolutely turned over today. We don’t have a great record at Palace, although did win last season there I think, they’re absolutely flying at the moment with Olise, Eze and Mateta easily the most dangerous front line in the division right now. We’re almost certainly going to be in party mode, I don’t really care if we lose but just don’t want a pasting to end the season, although it would bookend the season somewhat having been battered in the opening match.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

My second visit to Palace today. 

Last time was the outrageous disallowed Lansbury goal so a defeat. 

Hope for better today. 

Edited by sidcow

Looking forward to watching without any pressure. It’s been a while! Hoping most of all for Ollie’a 20th, then to see some good minutes for the kids and for the away fans to have a blast on this lovely sunny Sunday. 

27 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Not that it matters but we could get absolutely turned over today. We don’t have a great record at Palace, although did win last season there I think, they’re absolutely flying at the moment with Olise, Eze and Mateta easily the most dangerous front line in the division right now. We’re almost certainly going to be in party mode, I don’t really care if we lose but just don’t want a pasting to end the season, although it would bookend the season somewhat having been battered in the opening match.

We could easily get turned over. But i would say todays game wouldnt even have pride as a factor.  We acheived 1 of our 2 goals and got to the semi in the other.  It is a meaningless game. We cannot lose any money in terms of prize money. We cannot lose a position. We already beat them at home. Nothing hanging on the result at all. Apart from avoiding injuries.  Rest them all. Play the kids and non stop sing we are champions league for 90 minutes.  Cans of stella and phones allowed on the bench. It has been a monstrous season and nothing can take the edge off that ! 

• Like 2

On 18/05/2024 at 08:24, OutByEaster? said:

Oops! I forgot Chambers :)

So, second team but with Chambers in midfield ahead of Ireogbunam?

Wouldn't shock me if Chambers starts this. If Tim is still on the bench in a dead rubber he needs to be clearing out his locker when he gets back to Bodymoor tonight.

I'd like to see Tim and KHH start this as would be a very good test against in form Olise, Eze and Adam Wharton. Much more likely to be Chambers at DM and Konsa at RB though.

• Like 1

I think we’ll lose this, but I really don’t care, regardless what a season it’s been.

I would like to see some of the youngsters given a chance. Maybe even play Rory Wilson up top with Ollie, couldn’t hurt

54 minutes ago, sidcow said:

My second visit to Palace today. 

Last time was the outrageous disallowed Lansbury goal so a defeat. 

Hope for better next season. 

Remember that!? Awful decision. 

• Like 1

On 17/05/2024 at 11:37, ferguson1 said:

I honestly think Emery will take the game seriously and will want to start with his best possible side (fitness permitting). EDIT following team news

…………...…...Martinez………………..

Konsa…..Carlos……Pau…..Digne

………….Chambers……..Luiz……….

Bailey..….….McGinn……….Diaby

………………..…Watkins….…………..

Decent minutes for Iroegbunum, KKH, Munro and Kellyman.

Watkins to score and secure his 20 league goals (fingers crossed). Could be a mad game this with Palace scoring goals. Going to say 3-3 draw. UTV 

The more I look at our squad for today the more I think he’ll go with this team.  Can see some goals going in for both sides. 

7 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

KKH deserves a start just so we can see from the start. We need at least one player, from that Youth Cup winning side, to become a first - team regular. 

Was Iroegbunam in that side? Fingers crossed for him to really kick on this summer and challenge as part of the squad next year. 

Feels strangely nice going into a game where the job is already done for the season. Just hope Ollie gets his goal, all for sticking Mings and Buendia on with about 30 seconds left for the good vibes as well.

1 hour ago, MWARLEY2 said:

We could easily get turned over. But i would say today’s game wouldnt even have pride as a factor.  We acheived 1 of our 2 goals and got to the semi in the other.  It is a meaningless game. We cannot lose any money in terms of prize money. We cannot lose a position. We already beat them at home. Nothing hanging on the result at all. Apart from avoiding injuries.  Rest them all. Play the kids and non stop sing we are champions league for 90 minutes.  Cans of stella and phones allowed on the bench. It has been a monstrous season and nothing can take the edge off that ! 

It’s kind of got the feeling of the 3-3  draw at Goodison Park in 1989 about it when we came runners up. Graham Taylor’s claret and blue army was sang from the first minute until the last.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Was Iroegbunam in that side? Fingers crossed for him to really kick on this summer and challenge as part of the squad next year. 

He played for the Baggies against us in the semi final and was probably their best player

17 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

He played for the Baggies against us in the semi final and was probably their best player

Oh god yeah of course, that’s probably what prompted us to sign him. 

18 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

No! He was playing for West Brom in the semi-finals, I believe. 

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I want to win this game...I want to breed the winning mentality.

Liverpool came to our place with nothing to play for, but winning is in their DNA, it's been bred in to them.

I believe that will be Unai's stance.....try to win every game you play in.

It's easy to fall back in to old habits......

I say, go out to win every game...don't succumb to slack attitudes.

Nothing worse than arrogance. You here on this site, time and time again, how they despise the arrogance of the "Sky Scum Six." To which I say, be careful what you wish for. Don't just talk a good fight, nothing more admirable in this game than "Humility"!