Europa Conference League Draw - Round of 16

alreadyexists

1 minute ago, DakotaVilla said:

The spurs game is probably the most important game  for us in the last 40 years. If we make the champions league at least we have the chance of building a squad to stay there. In that context the games v Ajax are basically meaningless. 

Ok Martin let’s send the reserves out to Amsterdam . We all know how that turned out last time. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

I was hoping for some Young Boys action

Get off this forum, Jason

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

The spurs game is probably the most important game  for us in the last 40 years. If we make the champions league at least we have the chance of building a squad to stay there. In that context the games v Ajax are basically meaningless. 

Do you want us to be in Europe or not?  This is what happens when you want to mix with the big boys.

Just now, DakotaVilla said:

Europa conference is hardly the big boys. As I said, don’t cry when Emery makes it clear where his priority is - and it won’t be the Europa, I can tell you that now. 

Both will be prioritised. It’s the domestic cups that were expendable.

49 minutes ago, mikeyjavfc said:

Brilliant draw against the 5th best side in Holland! Should be a cracking tie against a big club. There were easier ties available but this is what Europe is all about. Can’t wait.

Hmm, Feyenoord, Sparta Rotterdam, ... who else?

6 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

'The most important game in the last 40 years', you're having a giraffe mate

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Ok Martin let’s send the reserves out to Amsterdam . We all know how that turned out last time. 

Exactly. Some people (not you obvs) have short memories. 

2 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Exactly. Some people (not you obvs) have short memories. 

Winning the Europa Conference & qualifying for the champions league is the platform to build upon to create a winning culture at the club. I don’t think for a minute these owners want to become a Spurs only participating and taking the money.

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

'The most important game in the last 40 years', you're having a giraffe mate

So if we beat spurs we probably will get champions league football. Name me one game bigger than that? And if you genuinely thinking winning a league cup or a championship playoff is bigger go and give your head a wobble. 

Ajax away three days before Spurs, F off!

Means we will probably have to go strong, or if we do rest players just try to grind out a draw and then batter them at VP. But either way it will affect us for either he Spurs or West Ham game or both. 

Wanted an easier tie.

• Thanks 1

I've always retained a healthy respect for Ajax ever since that great side of the seventies with those wonderful names, Johnny Rep, Neeskens, and arguably the most elegant player to play the game, Johan Cruyff, who I had the privilege to watch in the flesh at VP when we played Barcelona in the UEFA Cup. 

They are also famous for their wonderful youth system, having produced, Rijkarrd, Van Basten, Davids, and, imo, the best players to grace the Premier League, Dennis Bergkamp. So many others, it's remarkable, the amount of talent they have produced. 

Also, the team that invented the concept of "total football". It's a mystery how the Dutch have never won a World Cup, the team that won the European Championship back in 88 were magnificent, the Van Basten goal against Russia, definitely top 5 of all time.

This is a great tie for us and not for one minute do I think it will be easy. Their experience of European football will certainly provide them  with an edge.

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Finally a team I’ve heard of. Bring it on 

If you've never heard of Hibernian, Legia Warsaw and AZ then that says a lot more about you than anything else.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I've always retained a healthy respect for Ajax ever since that great side of the seventies with those wonderful names, Johnny Rep, Neeskens, and arguably the most elegant player to play the game, Johan Cruyff, who I had the privilege to watch in the flesh at VP when we played Barcelona in the UEFA Cup. 

They are also famous for their wonderful youth system, having produced, Rijkarrd, Van Basten, Davids, and, imo, the best players to grace the Premier League, Dennis Bergkamp. So many others, it's remarkable, the amount of talent they have produced. 

Also, the team that invented the concept of "total football". It's a mystery how the Dutch have never won a World Cup, the team that won the European Championship back in 88 were magnificent, the Van Basten goal against Russia, definitely top 5 of all time.

This is a great tie for us and not for one minute do I think it will be easy. Their experience of European football will certainly provide them  with an edge.

You could have saved yourself the trouble and just posted a link to their Wikipedia article.

Edited by R.Bear