Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

17 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Because you seem to put it out there suggesting ours isn’t so great yet people are showing how ours is just as good.

Not at all. We have done some very good business ourselves but 1-2 we have yet to get what we paid for. Palace's business over the last 3 years has been really good, can't think of a bad deal. Just feel they should be acknowledged for that.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

That's because Eze and Olise have since signed new bumper contracts I think. 

To be fair Nick I said this myself just now that it is too premature to say whether Diaby has been a failure so you're agreeing with me. I think so far for the money we spent he has underwhelmed and we would struggle to get our money back for him, whereas Palace would get potentially 10 times what they paid for Olise if they sold him. Of course Diaby's value may have skyrocketed this time next season and I agree it is too early to make a judgement one way or the other. 

I'd love to see the VT reaction to us signing an unknown winger from the Championship for £10m rather than Diaby 🤣

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I'd love to see the VT reaction to us signing an unknown winger from the Championship for £10m rather than Diaby 🤣

Not quite a winger but I thought this site was fairly ok, even positive at signing Rogers.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Not quite a winger but I thought this site was fairly ok, even positive at signing Rogers.  

It was mixed reaction.  A lot of people were questioning our ambition, why we were signing an unproven Championship player when we were pushing for 4th.  The same people were suggesting we should be showing the same ambition as Spurs and signing players like Timo Werner instead.  Rogers has proven them all wrong.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

It was mixed reaction.  A lot of people were questioning our ambition, why we were signing an unproven Championship player when we were pushing for 4th.  The same people were suggesting we should be showing the same ambition as Spurs and signing players like Timo Werner instead.  Rogers has proven them all wrong.

Ok, I thought it was generally positive but we all see things differently.

38 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

That's because Eze and Olise have since signed new bumper contracts I think. 

To be fair Nick I said this myself just now that it is too premature to say whether Diaby has been a failure so you're agreeing with me. I think so far for the money we spent he has underwhelmed and we would struggle to get our money back for him, whereas Palace would get potentially 10 times what they paid for Olise if they sold him. Of course Diaby's value may have skyrocketed this time next season and I agree it is too early to make a judgement one way or the other. 

Chelsea triggered Olise’s release clause which was allegedly just £35m - they might struggle to keep hold of him still if the fee is that low 

4 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Chelsea triggered Olise’s release clause which was allegedly just £35m - they might struggle to keep hold of him still if the fee is that low 

It's not, he signed a new four-year deal after he rejected Chelsea. There may still be a release clause but it'll no doubt be higher.

2 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

It's not, he signed a new four-year deal after he rejected Chelsea. There may still be a release clause but it'll no doubt be higher.

Hopefully it’s much higher. Would be a shame to see him wasted at clubs like Chelsea. 

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

A lot were positive, but then there was comments like this below 🤣

Lol, thanks for that. I must admit I got Rogers totally wrong, he hadn't looked that impressive in the Championship, but he was a great find by Unai and Monchi. He's been an excellent signing.

I still thought that a holding midfielder was more priority though and think I've actually been proven right on that given how lacking we are in CM now. 

We obviously have to go for high profile players as well as hidden gems, but when we do spend big money on players we have to get them right is all I'm saying. Diaby still has time though. 

32 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Nah Spurs showed more ambition loaning Werner😂

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Hopefully it’s much higher. Would be a shame to see him wasted at clubs like Chelsea. 

Palace are saying 60 each for him and Eze

15 hours ago, DJBOB said:

The challenge is that this profile - physical CDM who is also progressive and can play in a posession style Unai wants - is exceedingly rare. It's probably the only position as scarce as an all around CF.

And even if there is someone who fits the profile, you'll be sure that players in on the target list of a lot of other squads. Caicedo cost 100M and he's a physical counter presser but not a natural 6 who can drop in the line and has made his share of terrible mistakes in possession. Spurs have Sarr and Hojbjerg but ask Spurs fans about them and their reviews are less than complimentary. Palhinha at Fulham was targeted by Bayern but was anyone impressed when Watkins stole the ball off several times? 

That's why I think people will be disappointed by some of the CM names we will be linked with because I think Unai will still prefer a ball playing CM over a purely defensive CDM.

The dream would be a defensive CDM who is also progressive but that list is short and expensive.

I don't think technically sound defensive midfielders are that rare. There seems to be a conveyor belt coming out of Italy, Spain, France and French African nations for instance.
The better ones will be hard to get, sure. But that's what we have to do. Kamara is key to how we play and we need proper cover for him, and somebody to start the first 3rd of the season. Its critical.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

I don't think technically sound defensive midfielders are that rare. There seems to be a conveyor belt coming out of Italy, Spain, France and French African nations for instance.
The better ones will be hard to get, sure. But that's what we have to do. Kamara is key to how we play and we need proper cover for him, and somebody to start the first 3rd of the season. Its critical.

Technically sound but also physical and athletic are the key. 

I’m all for it if the scouting team find a player they like that fits the mold but I think Unai will be accepting of a more progressive midfielder that doesn’t fit the mold of a big CDM if he can. 

He didn’t traditionally play with a pure CDM at Villareal or most of his previous clubs. 

Edited by DJBOB

2 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

Technically sound but also physical and athletic are the key. 

I’m all for it if the scouting team find a player they like that fits the mold but I think Unai will be accepting of a more progressive midfielder that doesn’t fit the mold of a big CDM if he can. 

He didn’t traditionally play with a pure CDM at Villareal or most of his previous clubs. 

Doesn't have to be big, just physically strong and reads the game well, then can pick a pass. We're definitely not looking for a big unit that just breaks up play.
We're looking for Kamara, basically. We did it once with a poorer scouting / management set up.

• Like 1

I don't really get why we are discussing Ollise when we wouldn't be in for him and he is also rather injury prone. We'd be better off spend 51m on Williams than 60m on Ollise.

• Like 1

Â