Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

5 minutes ago, calcifer said:

We would yes, but it wouldn't be a 70 + million striker, we just don't have the finances. Not only do we have to comply with FFP but UEFA for Europe! 

Yes we have super rich owners, but hampered by FFP. So yes for us to be active in the summer someone will have to be sold. 

People think Ramsey is the most viable as that's pure profit. But then that's a homegrown talent off the books...

So wouldn't be surprised to see Luiz/Watkins or Martinez leave IF a huge offer came in.

I'm just not getting my hope up with a busy summer window, we need better players for the squad but to fund that someone has to go. 

Let's not forget that we have Mings and Buendia coming back in the summer.  I know they're both returning from serious injuries but that's like having two new signings arrive.  Our bench / squad immediately looks a lot better with their names back on the subs bench (let alone if they are back and playing well enough to claim a starting position).  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, allani said:

Let's not forget that we have Mings and Buendia coming back in the summer.  I know they're both returning from serious injuries but that's like having two new signings arrive.  Our bench / squad immediately looks a lot better with their names back on the subs bench (let alone if they are back and playing well enough to claim a starting position).  

I'm just worried on how they come back, some players never return to that height of ability after an injury like that. 

• Like 2

Recovery from such injuries has been much improved in recent years as the medical techniques have improved

Hopefully they both get back to their previous ability so they can contribute to what feels like is going to be a wonderful few years for us. It just wouldn’t feel right if we finally won something and Ty was not in the squad. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, calcifer said:

I'm just worried on how they come back, some players never return to that height of ability after an injury like that. 

It is a concern - but there's growing evidence that these injuries are not as career threatening or as career limiting as they were in the past.  Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

I would say Sousa is at the stage in his development where he is too good to simply be a development player. He is an extremely athletic, tall, technically adept player who is in need of senior football.  If he develops well at Plymouth between now and the end of the season he would be looking at that back left back slot.

He and Nedejovic (can't remember how his name is spelt) are both quick athletic six footers, good both defensively and offensively, and are potentially future first choice fullback options. 

If we move.on Digne (which I believe is likely), we may sign an experienced player like Acuna on lower wages and has Sousa as the 3 in line. But if Sousa can impress in preseason don't be surprised if he does become Moreno's back up. The potential is huge with him.

Both him and Nedeljovic have ideal profiles for what a top team would want in a fullback (although lacking in experience).

How on earth do you know? Are you watching Serbian football and non professional football for Sousa? 😂

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

I would say Sousa is at the stage in his development where he is too good to simply be a development player. He is an extremely athletic, tall, technically adept player who is in need of senior football.  If he develops well at Plymouth between now and the end of the season he would be looking at that back left back slot.

He and Nedejovic (can't remember how his name is spelt) are both quick athletic six footers, good both defensively and offensively, and are potentially future first choice fullback options. 

If we move.on Digne (which I believe is likely), we may sign an experienced player like Acuna on lower wages and has Sousa as the 3 in line. But if Sousa can impress in preseason don't be surprised if he does become Moreno's back up. The potential is huge with him.

Both him and Nedeljovic have ideal profiles for what a top team would want in a fullback (although lacking in experience).

They’ll probably give Sousa a chance in pre season to stake a claim. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, paul514 said:

How on earth do you know? Are you watching Serbian football and non professional football for Sousa? 😂

Even without extensively watching Serbian and u23s football, the scouting reports on those 2 are extensive. With Sousa I have said we need to see how he gets on at Plymouth. Sousa in in the championship currently. We can have a good look at him. Go watch Nedeljovic's performance v Man Cith in the Champions league.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Agree with your whole post, but haven't you just described Mings here?

I have but a a 30 year left footer at rcb that's always played lcb is questionable. I also feel that we need two such centres halves. But if Mings can step up to the rcb role with Konsa right of him that would be amazing.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, allani said:

Don't you think that Mings will be cover for Torres?  I think it is a bit early to write his recovery off - especially if he's not having to play 50 matches next season.

Mings won't be because they will perform different roles in the team. We need a LCB like Torres who is a build up player and attack minded and progressive passer. 

Mings is a central CB for recovery pace, aerial and physical defending. He's perfect for the central of the back 3 the same one Carlos plays. 

When you see further than we need two left footed CBs and think of things in terms of the role they are playing in the team. You see how different Pau and Mings are

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Philosopher said:

In regards to summer business it will depend heavily on two key points.

The first is whether we qualify for the champions league. That is basically 40 million extra revenue just from being in the group stages. Then an extra 2 million for every game we win, and 1 million for a draw.

The second is the shifting of surplus players. So if we can move on Chambers, Dendonker, Sanson, Hause. That will knock over 200k per week or nearly 15 million per year off the wage bill.

Do those two things and we are looking at being at least 50 million better off, without incoming transfer fees.

Then there are players like Digne, and potentially Cash and Carlos who may be worth cashing in on while they still have value. As that's another 250k per week in wages, plus some decent transfer fees. 

In Dignes case two 30 year old left backs one on 60k who is just as good as the other on 120k means Digne is sellable. Plus Sousa is waiting in the wings and Someone like Acuna is available for a low fee and moderate wages.

In Cash's case Konsa is just as good as him at right back, the best right back prospect in Europe is incoming, and Kessler-Hayden is a good young attacking fullback. So we can get by there.

Carlos is a player I like but he is on 100k or there abouts, and needs to improve a bit. I also believe we need a really dominant right cb (who can play out) as in the air we are vulnerable. 

Once the season ends Lenglet and Zaniolo's loans will be over and that's 250k in wages off the books, with no need to replace (as Mings will be back, and we brought in Rogers). 

So potentially that's 50 million a year in wages gone all in all. Plus if we get champions league another 40 million. The transfers fees in of 40 to 60 million. Without selling any of our best players. Obviously though Carlos would need to be replaced.

My only desire for incomings next season for now is a Saliba-esque right centre half. Defence can be improved. And Pau would thrive with a huge, quick centre half alongside him that can pass well. If we then have Konsa as primary right back with Nedeljovic as the rotation option. We can also revert to the very reliable partnership of Mings and Konsa. The defence would be rock solid.

I'm waiting on a DM addition as I want to see how Iroegbunam gets on. I rate the lad.

Just to add a bit of detail on this, Newcastle estimated to have received around €34m from their group stage, including the win bonuses, so would be closer to £30m all in. 

https://swissramble.substack.com/p/champions-league-revenue-202324-after

Edited by MSvillain

4 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Agreed except, as I've been saying, I think we might sell but not directly replace Cash (beyond Kosta). If we intend to play Konsa as a RB/RCB more often than we already do with Mings also in the preferred starting lineup as a CB, which I think was the plan for this season until he got injured, then Mings is an essentially a replacement player relative to this year's squad (Ty was obviously replaced by Lenglet this season, but his departure would be covered by, e.g., Hermoso).

I don't agree, you see how often and how effectively we've played with two attacking full backs and Kamara dropping into RCB role. I think Emery wants 2 senior attacking full backs and two under studies. Then 5 CBs and two of those to be able to play LB or RB in way Konsa does at RB.

Moreno / Sousa - LB

Pau / Hermoso - LCB

Mings / Carlos - CB

Konsa - RCB (Kamara drops in from CM) 

Cash / Nedeljkovic - RB

2 hours ago, Philosopher said:

In regards to summer business it will depend heavily on two key points.

The first is whether we qualify for the champions league. That is basically 40 million extra revenue just from being in the group stages. Then an extra 2 million for every game we win, and 1 million for a draw.

The second is the shifting of surplus players. So if we can move on Chambers, Dendonker, Sanson, Hause. That will knock over 200k per week or nearly 15 million per year off the wage bill.

Do those two things and we are looking at being at least 50 million better off, without incoming transfer fees.

Then there are players like Digne, and potentially Cash and Carlos who may be worth cashing in on while they still have value. As that's another 250k per week in wages, plus some decent transfer fees. 

In Dignes case two 30 year old left backs one on 60k who is just as good as the other on 120k means Digne is sellable. Plus Sousa is waiting in the wings and Someone like Acuna is available for a low fee and moderate wages.

In Cash's case Konsa is just as good as him at right back, the best right back prospect in Europe is incoming, and Kessler-Hayden is a good young attacking fullback. So we can get by there.

Carlos is a player I like but he is on 100k or there abouts, and needs to improve a bit. I also believe we need a really dominant right cb (who can play out) as in the air we are vulnerable. 

Once the season ends Lenglet and Zaniolo's loans will be over and that's 250k in wages off the books, with no need to replace (as Mings will be back, and we brought in Rogers). 

So potentially that's 50 million a year in wages gone all in all. Plus if we get champions league another 40 million. The transfers fees in of 40 to 60 million. Without selling any of our best players. Obviously though Carlos would need to be replaced.

My only desire for incomings next season for now is a Saliba-esque right centre half. Defence can be improved. And Pau would thrive with a huge, quick centre half alongside him that can pass well. If we then have Konsa as primary right back with Nedeljovic as the rotation option. We can also revert to the very reliable partnership of Mings and Konsa. The defence would be rock solid.

I'm waiting on a DM addition as I want to see how Iroegbunam gets on. I rate the lad.

Just too much in this post I disagree with to be worth trying to explain in detail why 

Firstly the savings are miles off as doesn't factor in players being on loan hence wages being paid.

The idea we'd go with only two untested RBs and Konsa for a Champions League campaign.

The triviality of simply just replacing Carlos with someone better. Not to mention how bizzare the view that Carlos is some kind of issue we need to solve too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd be interested to see what Emery might want to do with a different RB. I think one who under laps like how Ange has his do at Spurs. 

So Bailey staying wide and a RB making their way into the inside half space. Kamara covering RCB and Tielemans dropping from S/S into midfield space. 

The next tactical tweak is something we haven't seen from us. It's why it'll be interesting to see who Emery wants signed 

We need another striker.

We have got away with Ollie so far not picking up any injuries.

Duran's agent will still be desperate for his client to get his midtable move to Chelsea in the summer and Archer's only scored like 4 in 20 odd for Sheff United.

• Like 1

It feels very much like the window will be heavily influenced by where Emery wants to play Konsa next year and the LB position.

Konsa is absolutely a starter regardless of where he plays (because he's so good). If it's right back, then you could argue selling Cash raises funds and we already have adequate understudies in KN and KHH therefore that position is 'sorted'. However, I'd then expect us to be in the market for a starting centre half alongside Torres as Carlos has had a very underwhelming season. Whether or not we can shift him given his profile and wages remains to be seen. 

If Konsa is seen as a centre half then I fully expect us to sign a new right back with either Cash being sold/second choice and the others maybe being loaned out. 

Digne is primed to be sold in my opinion. Not because he isn't good enough but because he's on a gazillion quid a week and he's getting on a bit. Selling him would free up some space on the FFP front and Moreno is probably just as good all things considered for half the wages. I do actually think we may see Emery go in for a new left back. I think Moreno has been one of our weaker players this year and I'm convinced he's lost half a yard of pace.

TLDR, we may see Villa playing with two new starting fullbacks next season. 

Â