New YearsFootball 1/2 January

andykeenan

15 minutes ago, HongKongVillan said:

Only watched for 5 mins of it, weird quiet match and stadium, feels like players and fans would prefer to stay home instead of being there

This is how Villa Park felt v Burnley.

14 minutes ago, HongKongVillan said:

Watching obese men(boy) throwing darts on the other channel seems more entertaining then this game

The darts this time of year is always a good watch. 

When you watch West Ham it’s easy to see why they haven’t really missed Rice. They just sit in with 10 men behind the ball for the majority of the game. Horrible team to watch 

• Like 1

Horrible to watch, I'm sure horrible to play against as it's just as likely to be 0-0 as for them to pull a rabbit out of a hat to score 2 goals.

Moyes sets up the same way no matter the opponent - which is his ceiling. The last and probably smartest of the old guard  - Pulis, Allaradyce, Big Sam.

1 minute ago, WHY said:

When you watch West Ham it’s easy to see why they haven’t really missed Rice. They just sit in with 10 men behind the ball for the majority of the game. Horrible team to watch 

Exactly defending so deep when yiu are at home is pathetic.  

4 minutes ago, WHY said:

ye, after the failure last year of trying to play out from the back, they have reverted this season back to the low block / park the bus / hit teams on the break, which tbh is very effective for them, with the players they have.

not pretty though.

Edited by MaVilla

6 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Why neither team are a threat to top 4 

Don't be so naïve. We are one of many teams duking it out for the top 4 - 5 probable candidates, and about 8 possible candidates.

We're looking good for a top 4 finish but there are 18 league matches left to play and probably a decent slate of non-league matches coming our way too between the cup and Europe.

We've a small squad and a lot of football left to play. Anything that puts greater distance between us and the pretenders is a very good thing.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

ye, after the failure last year of trying to play out of the back, they have reverted this season back to the low block / park the bus / hit teams on the break, which tbh is very effective for them, with the players they have.

not pretty though.

Yeah, they are happy to hit on the break and basically play for corners and set pieces in and around the box. 

Just now, est1874 said:

Don't be so naïve. We are one of many teams duking it out for the top 4 - 5 probable candidates, and about 8 possible candidates.

We're looking good for a top 4 finish but there are 18 league matches left to play and probably a decent slate of non-league matches coming our way too between the cup and Europe.

We've a small squad and a lot of football left to play. Anything that puts greater distance between us and the pretenders is a very good thing.

Neither of those two teams are going to get much more than 60 points. They don't concern me.  More concerned about Man u and Chelsea 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Neither of those two teams are going to get much more than 60 points. They don't concern me.  More concerned about Man u and Chelsea 

I'm not so worried about teams like Brighton, West Ham, Chelsea, United* winning enough games to challenge for top 4 as I am worried that we could go on a bad spell that sees us dropping down and scrapping with the aforementioned for 5th.

If that happens, then yes, results like tonight do matter to us.

*slightly worried about United but I still expect they'll continue to be mostly inconsistent

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

We shouldn't be worring whats going on around us. We should be worrying about winning games and not going on that bad run.

Acting like we're fully and solely in control of us finishing top four is daft — we have the smallest squad out of the top 5 even - in most cases by quite some distance. One injury to a key performer (i.e. Martinez, Konsa, Watkins among others) could be enough to destroy our form, at which point it becomes very relevant what happens elsewhere.

We can't control other results, but we can celebrate them when they go our way. A combination of Villa wins and good results elsewhere (if we can get them) is the perfect cocktail, so I can't get behind the false bravado of We're Looking Up Not Down or We're Not Looking At Other Results — that mentality didn't serve us very well when we were last here under O'Neill.

Edited by est1874
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WHY said:

Brighton should've beaten them by a couple of goals, they'll finish higher than West Ham.

2 hours ago, WHY said:

Nearly as boring as watching England under Boregate 

1 hour ago, est1874 said:

Acting like we're fully and solely in control of us finishing top four is daft — we have the smallest squad out of the top 5 even - in most cases by quite some distance. One injury to a key performer (i.e. Martinez, Konsa, Watkins among others) could be enough to destroy our form, at which point it becomes very relevant what happens elsewhere.

Sometimes as is case right now a large squad is detrimental and smaller tight knit squad has benefits. We're 2nd in calendar year on merit. I would love a $ for every what if serious injury to Watkins etc on here. Some posters are obsessed to post over and over and over again

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Sometimes as is case right now a large squad is detrimental and smaller tight knit squad has benefits. We're 2nd in calendar year on merit. I would love a $ for every what if serious injury to Watkins etc on here. Some posters are obsessed to post over and over and over again

Yeh I get what you're saying, but what happens if watkins gets an injury? 

34 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Yeh I get what you're saying, but what happens if watkins gets an injury? 

I wonder if Liverpool forums are full of constant doom and gloom merchants all these years what if Salah gets an injury. It's **** boring and negative. Do people get a dopamine hit every time they post it?

Â