Midweek Football 5/7 December

andykeenan

10 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

They've not won in 4. Arsenal and Liverpool and even us look more likely. Their reign is over

We can certainly hope.  The 4 games they haven't won (and they've only lost 1) have been away at Chelsea and Villa and home to Liverpool and Spurs.  They're still odds-on to win the league with bookies.

I'd be surprised if they don't win it but, as I said earlier, it'll be closer this season.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

What're we thinking for tonight's games and those pesky Spurs and Newcastle teams trying to stay on our coattails?
Draws in both games would be handy (and I reckon it's possible).

A West Ham and Everton double would be nice. 

• Like 1

It baffles me how Newcastle are so up there in the league every time I see them it's up and at em football but not very controlled with a plan per opposition .

It's very Harry Redknapp Portsmouth and Spurs.

Howe definitely had a ceiling and of they don't get champions league this season he'll be gone.

11 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

It baffles me how Newcastle are so up there in the league every time I see them it's up and at em football but not very controlled with a plan per opposition .

It's very Harry Redknapp Portsmouth and Spurs.

Howe definitely had a ceiling and of they don't get champions league this season he'll be gone.

They just steamroll teams at home, 7/8 and their loss to Liverpool was a bit of an outlier given they conceded late in that one.

Away from home though you can get them under control especially with the injuries they have. I think they'll lose at Spurs on Sunday so not winning tonight will be very good for us.

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Everton can certainly hold this Newcastle team tonight.

More dropped points away for them would be one for the "OMG our away form is just the worst" brigade. 😉

I don't even get that argument. Our away for isn't great, but hardly bad. Comparing it to our home form is just unrealistic considering the straight 14 wins. It's the best goddam home record in what, a 100 bloody years?

But yes please Everton, win this!

10 hours ago, bobzy said:

We can certainly hope.  The 4 games they haven't won (and they've only lost 1) have been away at Chelsea and Villa and home to Liverpool and Spurs.  They're still odds-on to win the league with bookies.

I'd be surprised if they don't win it but, as I said earlier, it'll be closer this season.

Shows the dominance they had in 17/18 they won the league then with 100 points. Already the maximum they can get this season is 99 points.

Just human nature they've lost some edge after the treble. Opposition also gets huge boost seeing their midfield without De Bruyne and Rodri in it, you can certainly have more of a go at what is replacing them.

They'll still finish on around 85 points so could be good enough to win league still.

Just now, osmark86 said:

I don't even get that argument. Our away for isn't great, but hardly bad. Comparing it to our home form is just unrealistic considering the straight 14 wins. It's the best goddam home record in what, a 100 bloody years?

But yes please Everton, win this!

You saw the reaction on that specific thread at half time v Spurs. We turned it around and won and a point at Bournemouth is actually very good now considering their current form, we were behind twice and then beating Man. City.

If we get 4 points from Brentford and Man. United games that will be a very good return.

Dyche has got Everton purring, I wanted them to lose gams to make relegation battle more interesting, but today obviously better for us if they win. Newcastle look a completely different team to the one that beat Man Utd, most times I see them they don't look a great footballing team but grind out wins, but in that game they played very well.

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

You saw the reaction on that specific thread at half time v Spurs. We turned it around and won and a point at Bournemouth is actually very good now considering their current form, we were behind twice and then beating Man. City.

If we get 4 points from Brentford and Man. United games that will be a very good return.

Yeah Bournemouth are a lot tougher than given credit for. They had a slow start to the season which explains their position in the table, but they're definitely not a walk over team by any means and we had no business thinking they would be, especially at home.

I understand the frustration with the gifted goals due to lapses in concentration, but other than that we can't expect to have impetus away from home every game. Playing away is harder for all teams unless the home team fans have turned on their team.

Edited by osmark86
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, useless said:

Dyche has got Everton purring, I wanted them to lose gams to make relegation battle more interesting, but today obviously better for us if they win. Newcastle look a completely different team to the one that beat Man Utd, most times I see them they don't look a great footballing team but grind out wins, but in that game they played very well.

Yeah same here, but right now I'm convinced that they will stay up. There are defo 3 worse teams and they're playing quite decent football right now. They'd be 13th or 14th I think without the points deduction, so not as bad as the table suggests. Them winning tonight would be great.

Â