Formula One - 2024

BOF

The same whistle blower who said the FIA president intervened with Alonso’s penalty is also saying the FIA president pressured officials to find something wrong with the Las Vegas circuit in order for the licence to be withheld.

So Audi's takeover of Sauber has been completed by some accounts. Reports are saying they've upped their stake (no pun intended) from 25% to 100%. So they're not messing around. Total takeover.

On 03/03/2024 at 13:42, OutByEaster? said:

I genuinely think if you put any other driver on the grid into Max's Red Bull they'd win.

Any other driver? no not for me.

But there are a good handful of drivers that if they were in that Red Bull AND it was built around them like it's built around Max then they would win. Probably half the grid.

But then again that's how the sport has always worked. Put half the grid in Mansell's Williams back in 1992 and they'd have won the title. Put any half decent driver into Button's Brawn and they'd have won the title. Put any driver into Lewis/Rosberg's Mercs and they'd be winning the title.

When you put the best driver in the best car, you get these huge gaps. I'd say last season is about as bad as it's ever been, to be fair. But we've been here before

16 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

When you put the best driver in the best car, you get these huge gaps. I'd say last season is about as bad as it's ever been, to be fair. But we've been here before

I think the point is that you don’t need to be the best driver if the car is so far ahead.

A decent driver can walk the championship when the car is as good as the current Red Bull.

It’s like one of those questions that we’ll never know the answer to, what would Lewis do in the Red Bull? What would Max do in the Mercedes?

We’ll never know.

37 minutes ago, Genie said:

I think the point is that you don’t need to be the best driver if the car is so far ahead.

A decent driver can walk the championship when the car is as good as the current Red Bull.

It’s like one of those questions that we’ll never know the answer to, what would Lewis do in the Red Bull? What would Max do in the Mercedes?

We’ll never know.

But again I think that's often the case. Very often.

You wouldn't have had to have been the best driver to win in the Ferrari from 200-2004, or the 1992 Williams or the Hamilton/Rosberg Mercedes

In fact the 1992 Williams is a good example. Mansell was a great driver, but that grid included Schumacher and Senna who both finished behind Patrese, Mansell's teammate

I do think the Red Bull of last season is an extreme example because it was SO far ahead of anything  else. But it's not a unique situation

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BOF said:

So Audi's takeover of Sauber has been completed by some accounts. Reports are saying they've upped their stake (no pun intended) from 25% to 100%. So they're not messing around. Total takeover.

So will they be called Team Kick 2 Audi Super Brmmm Brmmm Sauber Plus now or something?

The lady who made the accusations about Horner’s behaviour has now been suspended by Red Bull. The saga runs on. 

I wonder if she’ll be given some money, an NDA to sign and then slips away.

edit: apparently she is suspended for being dishonest 

Edited by Genie

2 hours ago, Genie said:

The lady who made the accusations about Horner’s behaviour has now been suspended by Red Bull. The saga runs on. 

Those are very bad optics.

41 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Those are very bad optics.

Yeah, they need to be more transparent about what has gone on here.

What the allegation was, what the evidence was, what the decision was based on and why they have now suspended her.

It’ll be more uncomfortable for them if they don’t.

17 hours ago, Genie said:

Probably shows how 100% certain Red Bull are internally. The got an independent experienced investigation. Media spins things to create narratives. We don't have all the facts whoever did the investigation did.

42 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Probably shows how 100% certain Red Bull are internally. The got an independent experienced investigation. Media spins things to create narratives. We don't have all the facts whoever did the investigation did.

I agree, but it doesn’t stop tongues wagging.

I suspect she has been suspended because she is the source of the leaked messages but Red Bull aren’t sharing any detail and happy for the media circus to overshadow another race weekend.

Ollie Bearman stepping in for Carlos Sainz this weekend. Carlos having surgery for appendicitis. Ollie one of the hottest stars in F2 and assumed to be an eventual F1 driver. Ferrari give themselves and us a sneak preview of the British youngster's talents.

56 minutes ago, Farlz said:

Solid effort from Bearman 

Yep, solid drive from the lad.

Qualy itself very dull. I remember the good old days of it being exciting. 

Red Bull going full circus 

Max Verstappen has backed Red Bull motorsport adviser Helmut Marko after it emerged the Austrian could be suspended by Red Bull.

Marko, an 80-year-old ex-Formula 1 driver, faces disciplinary action as the result of an internal investigation amid the controversy around team principal Christian Horner.

Verstappen said: "It's very important that he stays within the team. If such an important pillar falls away, that's not good for my situation as well. So, for me, Helmut has to stay, for sure."

A source close to Red Bull told BBC Sport the plan was to suspend Marko.

link

14 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Is there a limit to how far Red Bull will go for Max?

Big standoff coming. I doubt Max will walk away from that mega contract and the best car on the grid though.

Â