January Transfers 2024

sne

17 hours ago, sne said:

Chelsea flogging Lukaku to Saudi? Nice way to get rid of another huge contract while also getting a fee no one in Europe is interested in paying. We'll see I guess.

I had a dream that we signed Lukaku last night. 

Just thought I'd add that. 

7 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Hang on a minute he's not a 15 year old Bolivian... 

Also what's happened to Fati? 

Hasnt been the same since Ezri gave him the Newham staredown and scruff of the neck grab. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Every time I've seen Dewsbury-Hall this season he's looked brilliant, far above the level and like he's improved a lot since last season, but then when I talk to Leicester fans who watch most games they say he blows hot and cold so who knows. But he's a good age and has further room for development, I think that'd be a good signing personally. 

• Like 2

I don’t think dewsbury-hall will leave in jan, leicester want 40 mil and it’s apparently more than Brighton and Brentford are willing to pay. Arsenal seem to be interested in him, he is pivotal to their team and I think they need to keep him to ensure automatic promotion, he really stepped up for them this season. 

Sky sports news had an interview with him a few days ago and he was really speaking highly of Leicester and how much he enjoys playing for them. Seems to be quite an interesting midfield player who is decent in all areas, if the price was right I wouldn’t mind him here but not for 40 mil 

David Ornstein has reported via The Athletic that they're in negotiations and that Leicester want 'around £30m', but since then Rob Dorsett has reported that Leicester don't want to sell him and if they did would expect £40m plus, so I guess it depends on who you believe.

Edited by useless

4 hours ago, useless said:

Brighton in negotiations for Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall, apparently Leicester want £30m

That's a strange signing for me.

Dewsbury-Hall done really well for Leicester becoming one of the leaders of the midfield but I don't really think he has technique to play for a top 6/7 club. Also 26 at start of next season so dosen't really fit into their model in terms of age profile.

If you look back last season Dean Smith didn't even start him until the final game which was a bit of an error but he always prefers technicians in midfield.

I would've thought Brighton domestically would be looking at someone like Jordan James. There was that weird rumour he was going to Atalanta from SHA for about 3m a few weeks back but that seemed made up at the time and nothing since happened but he'd be miles cheaper with a huge amount of potential, I wouldn't be against us picking him up as one of our development signings we're making.

Dewsbury-Hall seemed to be pretty much universlly rated as average in the Premier League, I remember when they were relegated and there was talk of them losing their better players, but Dewsbury-Hall was kind of an afterthought in those discussions, he was seen as one of the players they could probably keep hold of, in other words there probably wouldn't be a clamour of Prem clubs trying to sign him, now suddenly he's being linked to Brighton, Brentford, and Arsenal, and worth thirty or fourty million.

I could understand it more if he was younger, whilst not old at twenty-five, he's not exactly a youngster still developing, so you have to question how much better is he going to get at Premier League level than he was previously.

I guess it goes to show what an half decent season in the Championship can do for a players reputation.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, useless said:

Dewsbury-Hall seemed to be pretty much universlly rated as average in the Premier League, I remember when they were relegated and there was talk of them losing their better players, but Dewsbury-Hall was kind of an afterthought in those discussions, he was seen as one of the players they could probably keep hold of, in other words there probably wouldn't be a clamour of Prem clubs trying to sign him, now suddenly he's being linked to Brighton, Brentford, and Arsenal, and worth thirty or fourty million.

I could understand it more if he was younger, whilst not old at twenty-five, he's not exactly a youngster still developing, so you have to question how much better is he going to get at Premier League level than he was previously.

I guess it goes to show what an half decent season in the Championship can do for a players reputation.

He is a good player. One of those that just keeps on progressing year after year.  Probably their most influential player these days. He was a late developer anyway . Think he didnt make his debut until he was 23 for Leicester. 

• Like 1

James getting linked to Wolves and Crystal Palace now by Fab, they've both been linked previously, Palace had a £18.5m bid turned down for Adam Wharton, so they're in the market for a midfielder

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

He is a good player. One of those that just keeps on progressing year after year.  Probably their most influential player these days. He was a late developer anyway . Think he didnt make his debut until he was 23 for Leicester. 

Yeah, I don't think it's implausible that a player in his mid-20s is getting better, especially when as you say he didn't get regular first team football until quite late. As I say, he's looked better to me when I've seen him this season, though of course the reduced quality of the opposition is a factor too. But I think he's been given more of a licence to get forward under Maresca and that's a side of his game we didn't really see in the PL. 

1 hour ago, useless said:

That's the thing, he's not a player Brighton can just flip in 18 months unless he goes mad and scores 10-15 next season. No one above Brighton's level is paying 40-50m for someone who'll be 27-28 so I'm curious why they've gone for him when they're pretty well stocked in midfield and over time he'll lose value playing for them.

Can only think they have homegrown player issues coming up.

Of the two I'd be after James more, not even 20 yet yet he's starting most games for Wales now and has 80 games for SHA already so you're talking a player with vast potential if perhaps not the next Bellingham.

6 goals from central midfield aswell so he's only scored three less than KDH in a far far worse team.

He's someone I thought Brighton would be all over.

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

That's the thing, he's not a player Brighton can just flip in 18 months unless he goes mad and scores 10-15 next season. No one above Brighton's level is paying 40-50m for someone who'll be 27-28 so I'm curious why they've gone for him when they're pretty well stocked in midfield and over time he'll lose value playing for them.

Can only think they have homegrown player issues coming up.

Of the two I'd be after James more, not even 20 yet yet he's starting most games for Wales now and has 80 games for SHA already so you're talking a player with vast potential if perhaps not the next Bellingham.

6 goals from central midfield aswell so he's only scored three less than KDH in a far far worse team.

He's someone I thought Brighton would be all over.

Disagree, in order for their process to work they do need some experienced pros around, that’s why Lallana, Welbeck and Milner were brought in. Dunk, Webster and Gross are all older pros always in the team aswell. Estupinan is 27. 

3 minutes ago, Nicho said:

Disagree, in order for their process to work they do need some experienced pros around, that’s why Lallana, Welbeck and Milner were brought in. Dunk, Webster and Gross are all older pros always in the team aswell. Estupinan is 27. 

Getting the guys in their 30s is a little different though, it's as you say for the top level experience (those three all played for England at a World cup and endless european competitions for previous clubs).

Gross signed for them way back in summer 2017 when they were newly promoted so had a slightly different model, he'd just turned 26 and 3m so a great bargain. Dunk came through youth system and Webster 24 when he signed, same for Estupinan who'd just played in a CL SF for Villareal.

Dewsbury-Hall just dosen't have anything like that experience or long term potential, it's a curious Brighton signing for me if it happens.