Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Luton

limpid

Match Polls  

206 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 31/10/23 at 23:59

Understand some of the disappointment with how sloppy the last period of the game was, but I think it was just a case of once they got their freak goal the players themselves checked out a bit as the clean sheet was lost but the game was already one.

Should of course be beating Luton regardless but enjoyed the manner of the performance all the same. Yesterday and against West Ham also, Villa have just played like a "big" team in terms of the control of the game and the patience shown and that's something that feels different from even other good times in the Premier League.

Diaby's movement is so impressive live, really gives you even more of an appreciation for him. Certain runs he made for Cash, Kamara etc to pick him out looked so simple but they were perfectly executed and he had their defensive line so unsure of themselves all game.

7 hours ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

Even though there were a lot of great memories under Deano, one consistent flaw with him was an inability to break down teams that sat deep against us. The game we lost 1-0 against 10 man Sheff Utd is burned into my brain especially. Right now it feels like an opponent could have 15 men sat in their own half and we'd still pick them apart and slot one home.

To be fair that’s the difference between a good manager and an elite manager, whereas over the last 12 months we’ve seen the difference between an inexperienced and very poor manager compared with an elite manager now. UTV!! and all hail the Sultan of Unai!!! And thanks again to Nas for recognising the problem a year ago and putting it right as well as giving the Sultan the tools required to do his job without interruption or interference from anyone not qualified. 

7 minutes ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

The fact that 6 of our regular starters now (would be 8 if not for injuries to Mings and Ramsey) were mainstays three seasons ago is testament to the job that Smith ...

And possibly even Buendia?

23 hours ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Watch out for hot looking women inviting you to parties, and don't give the hotel your passport 

I've had a few requests to expand on this.

It's the plot of Hostel

I'm not some lothario wandering around Europe getting invited to parties by hot women. I don't even have a passport

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

For Diaby's goal when everyone went to 'hug' Diaby, Ollie went to retrieve the ball from the net.

Presumably as a commemoration for Diaby's first Premier League goal.

For the third goal, I thought Watkins definitely looked annoyed that Lockyer scored the OG: 'That was mine ya b*stard!' 😆 Good that he's developing that hunger for goals though.

20 hours ago, TRO said:

I don't go in to games thinking we will win, I hope we do. I know we have the talent, but the hard work still has to be applied.

Some of the cup games, keeps me grounded.

You’ve been around long enough to know the score TRO staying grounded is sensible but some posters are a little negative and should try to enjoy supporting us during a good time in our history. We’re both old enough to remember the good and bad times and know it’s important to enjoy the good times when we can. I certainly am!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Disappointment!!???

Not sure how anyone can be disappointed with anything Villa at the moment.

It's also obviously being lost on some the amount of games we have already played this season (in such a short space of time) with not much rotation happening in that time. The players need to stay in 1st gear in some of these games or we risk our best XI risking burn out by Christmas.

Hell, I predicted 6-0 but I'm not too bothered we only managed 3 - even if it was only Luton.

Also, Sitting 5th in the League and 4pts off 1st place.

We're joint top in our group in UECL.

We've got two of the best owners in the world.

We've got one of the best managers in the world.

We've got the best goalkeeper in the world.

Disappointed!  Yeah, I can see why!?  :rolleyes:

Wasn't disappointed at all myself, just saying I could understand where folk were coming from that said the last 10 minutes or so were pretty messy, but thought there was context as to why and didn't have any concern about it.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Wasn't disappointed at all myself, just saying I could understand where folk were coming from that said the last 10 minutes or so were pretty messy, but thought there was context as to why and didn't have any concern about it.

Surely the context was firstly the score line and secondly that over 90 minutes we were comfortably the better side and the victory was in no real doubt. Given the fixture list and our injuries that is pretty remarkable! So I agree with what you’re saying certainly in regards to the bigger picture. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

You’ve been around long enough to know the score TRO staying grounded is sensible but some posters are a little negative and should try to enjoy supporting us during a good time in our history. We’re both old enough to remember the good and bad times and know it’s important to enjoy the good times when we can. I certainly am!

I have no doubt about our ability....but I am also a supporter of hard work, that takes energy,  fitness and focus, on and off the ball.

I am not privvy to the fitness side of things.....hence my reasoning for being cautious in predicting results......In Boxing, who would have thought Tyson Fury, would struggle like that.....we can't take things for granted.

Application is paramount, and thats the part that keeps me, grounded.

5 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Disappointment!!???

Not sure how anyone can be disappointed with anything Villa at the moment.

It's also obviously being lost on some the amount of games we have already played this season (in such a short space of time) with not much rotation happening in that time. The players need to stay in 1st gear in some of these games or we risk our best XI risking burn out by Christmas.

Hell, I predicted 6-0 but I'm not too bothered we only managed 3 - even if it was only Luton.

Also, Sitting 5th in the League and 4pts off 1st place.

We're joint top in our group in UECL.

We've got two of the best owners in the world.

We've got one of the best managers in the world.

We've got the best goalkeeper in the world.

Disappointed!  Yeah, I can see why!?  :rolleyes:

All very true and enough to be hugely excited about.

But for the dreamers, who are never satisfied, and I include our manager in there......there is always room to improve, and clean sheets is one.

I would be staggered if he hasn't addressed that incident, with the squad this week, despite such a dominant performance....a " stitch in time, saves nine" springs to mind....Thats how the top teams have got there....eradicating weaknesses.

If Unai himself can address those things, with the squad without getting down beat, which I suspect is the case......so can we.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Didn't watch game. Listened to podcast. They said Luton fans were singing "Conference champions, you'll never sing that!" 

That's pretty good

Yeah and they also did you only come to see the Luton. Some good banter, took a good following.

The best chant was Rooney, Rooney from the Holte End though.

• Like 1

I am not in favour of some folk, observing the so called poor displays of the opposition.....when that can be due to our superior play.

I think its disparaging to say the opposition is poor, after we win, even emphatically.....I don't see the other top teams do it....I could be wrong.

Quite frankly, I don't feel as an Aston Villa fan, its my concern how the opposition play....Its my job to praise us when we win.

Did Liverpool and Newcastle mitigate themselves from a good performance, due to ours being below par......I very much doubt it.....never heard the media say, Villa had an off day at St James's.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

On 30/10/2023 at 08:13, DaveAV1 said:

We spent a lot of years going to games when it felt inevitable thst we’d loose, now people are finding it difficult to get up for games when it feels inevitable thst we’ll win easily! Funny world you all seem to live in. Perhaps Unai should be forced to appoint a really crap assistant to add balance to his obvious genius. Then don’t announce who has prepared the team match by match. Reading the match thread posters always seam to find things to moan about regardless of how we’re playing. I’m not sure if football is really the game for some of you. Sad situation if we are finally a club to envy from top to bottom and still people can’t be happy. Perhaps VT needs to invest in a sports psychologist? How to cope with the misery of certain victory? I’m sure we’ll find plenty of sympathy across the city. We can’t win with some people. Freud would have a field day. I survived the misery of the early 80s, this is just the late 70s so if you can’t cope now, I’ve got bad news for the near future support your team and enjoy the ride, if you can manage to?

Christ man. Can't YOU enjoy the win without posting a rant about others,

Read your post back after a tremendous win!