Totally useless information/trivia

RunRickyRun

A quick web search suggests 11 English players have played for Real Madrid:

England (11): Beckham, Cunningham, Johnson, Lindsey, Linney, McManaman, Owen, Stampher, Vickerstaff, Wallace and Woodgate.

Apart from the obvious 5 I'm stumped on the rest!

So in a question about 'the 5 Englishmen who played for Real Madrid' you could actually omit the 5 and 'only' give 6 people that weren't in the askers question :lol: Now that's something I'd like to do #thatllfuckim.

I got the obvious five (Laurie Cunningham, Steve McMananman, David Beckham, Michael Owen & Jonathan Woodgate. I presume all of the others are from the early days of Real Madrid as a club?

Yeah - it looks like they all played before 1920 (when the club was simply Madrid FC). I'd still say they count.

• 3 weeks later...

If you follow the following process for any starting number

* write it out in English (e.g. 123 => "one hundred twenty three")

* count the number of letters (e.g. 123 => 21)

* repeat

it will eventually loop at 4 => four => 4...

123 => 21 => 9 => 4 => 4 ...

I only got three. Forgot Woodgate. :huh:

Question: Has there ever been a player who had a worse start to a new club career than Woodgate at RM? 13 months injured before making his debut then when finally getting on the pitch notching an OG and a red card. Gotta take some beating that.

(btw I got 4, Mcmanaman, Beckham, Owen & Woodgate).

* repeat

It even works if you DO write it out in English (rather than American) - one hundred AND twenty three. :)

* repeat

It even works if you DO write it out in English (rather than American) - one hundred AND twenty three. :)

It probably works in most languages but you might get stuck at a different number than 4

* repeat

It probably works in most languages but you might get stuck at a different number than 4

German loops at 4 as well.

However, I think French gives the loop: 6-3-5-4, 6-3-5-4, 6-3-5-4... etc. (unless I've got something wrong, which is quite possible).

* repeat

However, I think French gives the loop: 6-3-5-4, 6-3-5-4, 6-3-5-4... etc. (unless I've got something wrong, which is quite possible).

I'm still trying to figure out how to do this for Chinese.

Edit: Counting the number of strokes might work.

* repeat

I'm still trying to figure out how to do this for Chinese.

Are there accepted standard English phonetic versions of Chinese pictograms?

There are, Mike - the Wade-Giles (rarely used these days) and Pinyin systems. You're right, it could work, and so might the stroke-counting method.

It's dinner time now, will do this after that ;)

Tried counting the number of strokes (instead of the number of letters). The results seem to be slightly more varied than the "loop at four" result for English, although not by much.

The characters for 1, 2 and 3 all have 1, 2 and 3 strokes each respectively. That said, the only character (in the entire Chinese language) I can think of that has just one stroke is the character for "1", so I think we'll take that out of the equation.

The character for "4" has 5 strokes, while the character for "5" has 4. So, in similar fashion to the French result, if one were to arrive eventually at one of these two numbers, he/she would enter into an indefinite loop between "4" and "5."

The character for "6" has 4 strokes, thus the eventual result would be the 4-5 loop. Characters for numbers 7-10 all have, quite incredibly, just 2 strokes each, which would result in a loop at "2".

In conclusion, I think it's safe to say that the "2" loop is probably the most common result, followed by the 4-5 dual number loop. 1 is by far the rarest result, as it can only be arrived at if one starts from the character for "1" itself. There are thus 3 possible results in all, involving a total of 4 numbers, although 1 result can effectively be discounted due to the special circumstances required to derive it.

All this talk about strokes must sound really foreign to you all, lol

Wade & Giles left The Wade-Giles System? I had not heard that.

That's a promising development: as everyone knows, after three exceptional albums to start their recording career, the quality steadily declined. I always said it was the non-Wade/Giles members who were holding that band back!

Â