Hats

maqroll

48 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Do you wear hat? Do you own multiple types of hats? Are there commonly worn types of hats you don't like?

Quite partial to traditional style baseball caps not the flat peak ears tucked in ones, I have quite a few in dark colours not bright flash ones

I have a new baseball hat, an old scruffy baseball hat. A bucket hat and a wide brim hat. The ONLY reason any of these are worn is to keep hot sun off my head.  I would never ever wear one if it wast n sunny. 

I have a wooly hat and a lumberjack type of hat which are worn when it's cold to keep my head warm.

These are the 2 only purposes for hats outside of comedy purposes. 

I've already posted recently about those silly wooly hats that hipsters wear in the boiling hot or indoors the stupid clearings in the woods. 

I have a very large and ovular shaped head, so certain hats help "correct the problem", namely baseball caps and flat caps, but flat caps look out of place when doing normal routine things like yard work, exercising, etc. I have a flat cap but I never wear it because it's a bit too "Peaky Blinders". 

I like the look of these although the plaid one might be a bit too flashy for me.

The Jetty Cape Cod Boston Scally Cap - PlaidThe Sailor Boston Scally Cap - Driftwood Grey

Unless you are in a boy band or the army then hats should never be worn outside of hiking up mountains above the clouds in -5 conditions

and if you wear one in the gym then there is a special place in hell for you  

Edited by tonyh29

I think we've discussed this in another thread. In my younger days I wouldn't have been seen dead in any sort of hat. Back then, hats were only worn by old men - trilbies for the middle class ones, flat caps for the workers. Uncool. 

Now of course, I AM an old man, and I'll wear a hat if necessary for weather protection - a panama/fedora style if it's a VERY hot and sunny day, and a warm beanie style if it gets really cold. But it's never for image reasons. And certainly no baseball hats. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I have many hats. I am bald. Beanie hat or flat cap are my preferred styles. 

Ditto. I'm rarely without a cap when outdoors. I have a selection of flat caps, plus also a few other hats like bucket hat, oslo cap, pork pie hat, trilby hats. 

Plus some beanie type hats for the really cold weather.  

Basically being bald means caps or hats in  the winter to keep the head warm, and then in the winter to stop sunburn. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Used to wear caps a lot , but not so much now, although I bought a Villa cap the other month with the new badge on the front because it looked a bit retro. 

It will look extra double retro next season

• 6 months later...
On 11/10/2023 at 22:47, mjmooney said:

Now of course, I AM an old man, and I'll wear a hat if necessary for weather protection - a panama/fedora style if it's a VERY hot and sunny day, and a warm beanie style if it gets really cold. But it's never for image reasons. And certainly no baseball hats.

I have bought a baseball hat.  🤥 🫣

It's this new long hairstyle. One gust of wind and it ties itself in knots. During the colder weather I wore my warm beanie hat, but it's too warm now. So I had to get something to wear outside. Not ideal, but it does the job. I'm past caring. 

one of my mates is bald and wears a hat of some description when we go out drinking , not a vanity thing , more a keeping warm thing between pubs 

the same mate loses his hat every time we go out drinking ... I'm amazed he survives the night still wearing trousers tbh ,  its not like you can't feel something like that missing from your head and think ,oh hang on    

of course it becomes a great source of amusement , every time he puts it down on a table someone hides it or we will give it to some friendly types on the next table and get one of them to wear it and see if he notices 

he must spend a fortune on them 

I'm going to buy a black Fedora soon for my 80s Butlins weekender. We're going as The Blues Brothers. 

Â