drinking in town

soezetoc

Hi All,

For those that saw my earlier post relating to troubles getting tickets to this game.

I have finally secured tickets . 

Just to recap I am part of group of 8 Aussies doing a premier league  tour *(i am only villa fan ).

We are travelling to and from London on the Sunday and would like to stop for a late lunch and pint in Brum. 

I've seen pics posted a while ago here of what looks like a great location on the canals. Is this in the City and convenient  enough to have eats/drinks then get to VP for kick off. 

Any suggestions  of best pub to go to would be greatly appreciated.  

Cheers and thanks and hope this is the appropriate place to place this post. 

10 hours ago, soezetoc said:

Hi All,

For those that saw my earlier post relating to troubles getting tickets to this game.

Just to recap I am part of group of 8 Aussies doing a premier league  tour *(i am only villa fan ).

We are travelling to and from London on the Sunday and would like to stop for a late lunch and pint in Brum. 

I've seen pics posted a while ago here of what looks like a great location on the canals. Is this in the City and convenient  enough to have eats/drinks then get to VP for kick off. 

Congratulations on getting tickets to see the mighty villa! 

If you saw photos of people boozing near the canal in Birmingham, that is probably around brindley place area, there are some nice bar/cocktail style places around there like piano and pitcher, it isn’t far from villa park at all, you get an Uber to the ground in about 10 mins or the number 7 bus from colmore row that will drop you off straight out of the ground, or you could get a train from new street directly to aston (four oaks is the destination you want, it’s usually platform 8 or 9A in new street, then just get off at aston with all the other fans)

pubs around aston and close to the ground are witton arms which I used to go to a lot, and the aston tavern/aston inn, which are a bit further away but still good aswell. I think you have to pay £3 to get in on match day aswell, so just bare that in mind. 

for the game against Brighton I got to the ground really early due to the rail strikes and had a few drinks in the fan zone, there is street food and bear and usually musical entertainment and a question and answer session with a former player. Don’t usually get to the ground too early so it was my first time going there and thought it was reasonable, instead of paying £3 entrance fee to a pub I just put it toward a beer at the fan zone.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, soezetoc said:

Hi All,

I'd avoid the canal area as you'll pay more for a pint then you did for a ticket.

Find a weatherspoons and have a cheap meal and a beer with other Villa fans in good atmosphere and then get on the no7 bus

18 hours ago, soezetoc said:

Hi All,

The Old Contemptibles is one I’d recommend. Proper beer, very decent food, kind of a bit similar to somewhere like the Belgian beer cafe in Perth. It’s handy for the bus to Villa park, or a local train or a taxi. Closer to the ground is the Barton’s Arms, lovely Thai food and good beer too. Walking distance from the ground. Both get busy, so if you want food get there in good time.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, blandy said:

The Old Contemptibles is one I’d recommend. Proper beer, very decent food, kind of a bit similar to somewhere like the Belgian beer cafe in Perth. It’s handy for the bus to Villa park, or a local train or a taxi. Closer to the ground is the Barton’s Arms, lovely Thai food and good beer too. Walking distance from the ground. Both get busy, so if you want food get there in good time.

My fav pub in Brum

I remember I went into The Square Peg Wetherspoons near New Street. Wasn’t a bad pub in my opinion but if you were really looking for somewhere to eat then I would probably recommend you go into New Street Station and find an eatery in there.

Thanks for all the suggestions...I'll do some more research and make a suggestion to the group. 

Another question  if I may and probably  a silly question...will I be able to wear Villa shirt/scarfe and be relatively safe. 

Im now 69 and not as fit as I used to be and see a lot of posts here intimating that Blues predominantly drink in town ??

Cheers and thanks again 

1 minute ago, soezetoc said:

Im now 69 and not as fit as I used to be and see a lot of posts here intimating that Blues predominantly drink in town ??

it's an ongoing myth from blues fans that villa are all from the shires and are too scared to drink in town. the reality is that you'll see plenty of claret and blue on a home matchday and won't get any problems whatsoever

i don't frequent the city centre on matchday but used to like the trocadero mainly cause you can get a cheap burger and it shows football. but you'll have plenty of choice of pub really...i personally don't like the shakespere near the train station though if you want somewhere to avoid. always found it to be a dive when there's plenty of better places.

as there's 8 of you, i'd just share a couple of taxis to the ground. split between the 4 of you in each cab it will cost the same if not less than a bus/train fare

8 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

it's an ongoing myth from blues fans that villa are all from the shires and are too scared to drink in town. the reality is that you'll see plenty of claret and blue on a home matchday and won't get any problems whatsoever

i don't frequent the city centre on matchday but used to like the trocadero mainly cause you can get a cheap burger and it shows football. but you'll have plenty of choice of pub really...i personally don't like the shakespere near the train station though if you want somewhere to avoid. always found it to be a dive when there's plenty of better places.

as there's 8 of you, i'd just share a couple of taxis to the ground. split between the 4 of you in each cab it will cost the same if not less than a bus/train fare

Thanks so much 

35 minutes ago, soezetoc said:

Thanks for all the suggestions...I'll do some more research and make a suggestion to the group. 

Another question  if I may and probably  a silly question...will I be able to wear Villa shirt/scarfe and be relatively safe. 

Cheers and thanks again 

Sorry, when I split your post into this thread, I picked a joke title. It's pretty much myth.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, soezetoc said:

Cheers and thanks again 

You will be fine 

My suggestion would be the Head of Steam. 

Close to New Street, where I assume you're getting the train to. You can walk to it in 5 minutes.

Convenient if you want to get the train to the game, but also accessible for a taxi if that's your preference (it's mine). Huge bar, loads of beers, loads of screens to watch the earlier kick off if you're interested, decent food for a spot of lunch.

It's my go to before matches now.

And as others have said, you'll have absolutely no issue wearing villa colours.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, blandy said:

Closer to the ground is the Barton’s Arms, lovely Thai food and good beer too. Walking distance from the ground. Both get busy, so if you want food get there in good time.

Good shout this as well. Thai food served at an old pub doesn't sound appetising, but the food is really good. Pretty sure you can book tables as well

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

It's nowhere near the nicest pub in town but The Windsor on Cannon Street has been used by Villa fans for decades, a real AVFC stronghold, always packed before home matches and a lovely array of Villa stickers in the gents and a superbly drawn 'AVFC' in black marker pen on the urinal cistern 🤣

Actually, probably just stick to the Barton Arms or The Old Contemptibles 😉 

On 08/10/2023 at 21:42, soezetoc said:

Cheers and thanks again 

There's quite a few bars around Upper Temple street, you could have a bit of a crawl. 

The best real ale bar is The Wellington which is adjacent (rear doors) to the quite spectacular Old Joint Stock which is now a sister pub to The supreme Old Contemptibles many have mentioned. 

Depends how many pubs you want to take in. 

Avoid all Wetherspoons. They're nasty places only existing for their stupidly cheap prices. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

Â