Match Thread: UECL: Villa v Zrinjski Mostar

limpid

2 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Really I think it's been the pace of moving the ball to the wings. Which allows them to be super narrow and prevent us from progressing centrally and then double up when Bailey receives it on the right or have a man press out to digne when he receives it. We need to take about half the time from lenglet and Konsa to Digne and Bailey. 

Yeah, they've got 5 at the back, so their fullbacks are dropping back and jamming up the full width of the pitch. Classic low block, very well organised. You are right though, the pace of the ball to the wingers is letting them do this.

The mistake when facing this is playing a super high line and throwing men forward cos you get impatient or frustrated.

I know that's what some on here want (maybe not the high line) but it's inviting the counter punch.

Just now, vazquez said:

This. The Legia fans were immense and their team grew few inches thanks to that. Never stopped singing, never sat down.

Hibs fans were relentless too, even after the final whistle.

6 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

This is the sort of game where we seriously miss a Buendia/Coutinho type player. 

Someone who picks up the pockets of space, play 1 & 2 touch passes, moves into space again and keeps it moving forward. 

What we have is Tielemans giving it away every chance he gets, Dendoncker playing it side ways and McGinn taking far too long to pick a pass. 

I hope certain posters are now seeing exactly what Buendia gives to us as a player, we don't have anyone remotely like him. 

Yep it’s that CM area we are sorely lacking

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villan95 said:

Seems like we either have a problem getting up for these matches v 'easier' opposition or we struggle tactically vs low blocks? 🤔

Any team can find it difficult to break down a good low block.

But we are not helping ourselves by giving it away cheaply, often under little pressure when in the final 3rd. Some of our passing has been atrocious.

• Like 1

We're playing pretty much exactly as we did against Everton, Stevenage, and Legia, it's as if on some level in these kind of games where we're expected to win the players think the game is already half won, I thought we would have learned our lesson by now. It's less about team selection more about attitude of the players, need to go into these games as if we're going into a game against another one of the Premier Leagues top teams, not tactically necessarily, but in terms of mindset.

In some ways I'm not sure if those games against Hibernian helped us, maybe lulled us into a false sense of security when playing so called lesser opposition, hopefully we can improve second half