Weekends Football 1/3 September

andykeenan

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Just sent he scores... Wtf?

Did Newcastle peak too early against us?

How long before they start finding excuses to sack Howe and go for someone " high profile " ?

Brighton were on their game. Bullied Newcastle and played some wonderful football . De Zerbi is the real deal unless you play a low block against him 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Brighton were on their game. Bullied Newcastle and played some wonderful football . De Zerbi is the real deal unless you play a low block against him 

Also,.never seen that kid Ferguson play, but seen him mentioned alot as some sort of " prodigy ". Hat trick today also.

As a matter of fact first time I probably nee he existed was here in the summer thread.

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Also,.never seen that kid Ferguson play, but seen him mentioned alot as some sort of " prodigy ". Hat trick today also.

As a matter of fact first time I probably nee he existed was here in the summer thread.

He is special. Shearer regen.  Got everything to his game already. Not electric but just like Shearer will always end up right time right place 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Newcastle’s first 4 fixtures are a nightmare way to start the season and you could even say three point from those 4 matches is a reasonable return.

However I think the late capitulation last week and the psychological blow of losing three in a row will knock the wind out of their sails.

Hopefully they take a while to recover. 

From the same games last season, they took 4 points.

This time they've taken 3.

Toughest start to the season of any team, toughest CL group they could have too.  I hope it knocks the wind out of them, but gut feeling is they'll be absolutely fine.

10 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

That's a 2 way street

And I tend to lean towards what we do know rather than what we don't

Boehly is worth around $5bn, he owns 40% of the consortium that owns Chelsea, he's the face of that consortium and is responsible for the day to day running of the club, the people who officially own the other 60% are both on the board and are worth another $8bn combined, Chelsea have a turnover of circa £480m per year

All this spending leads to the suggestion that it must be the saudis... I think there's every danger Chelsea are just an incredibly rich club owned by rich people spending every penny that they're allowed to spend, helped along the way with the contract lengths and the staggering of transfer payments

There is no evidence that the saudis directly put money in to chelsea - there is definitley no evidence that the saudis have anything to do with the running of the club or their transfer policy

Easy ways to solve this. Set a hard spending cap. No league spends anywhere near what the PL does every year so a hard cap would set the upper limit for spending in Europe. 

Pretty sure Newcastle only won 1 of their first 6-7 last season but could be wrong.

They have likes of Sheffield United and Burnley in September/October so they'll be up the league soon enough although CL will inevitably impact as they're already stretched at the back with Targett starting.

11 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

FTFY

We need to be clear what happened though. Manchester City’s cheating (and they obviously have cheated FFP) was them having a mid table revenue but spending a similar amount to a ‘big six’ team. 

However, they are not outspending the likes of Chelsea or Manchester United. They are beating those teams by being much better managed and much better run with their transfer strategy. 

They are not winning the league because they are spending more than anyone else (Chelsea have spent a billion just in the last couple of windows 😳) They are winning the league because they have one of the best managers in history and Barcelona’s old director of football overseeing strategy. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

Easy ways to solve this. Set a hard spending cap. No league spends anywhere near what the PL does every year so a hard cap would set the upper limit for spending in Europe. 

Don't disagree but surely they'd set the cap at the highest point? A cap of £250m per year is great for about 4 clubs

10 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

We need to be clear what happened though. Manchester City’s cheating (and they obviously have cheated FFP) was them having a mid table revenue but spending a similar amount to a ‘big six’ team. 

However, they are not outspending the likes of Chelsea or Manchester United. They are beating those teams by being much better managed and much better run with their transfer strategy. 

They are not winning the league because they are spending more than anyone else (Chelsea have spent a billion just in the last couple of windows 😳) They are winning the league because they have one of the best managers in history and Barcelona’s old director of football overseeing strategy. 

They cheated.

29 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

That's a 2 way street

And I tend to lean towards what we do know rather than what we don't

Boehly is worth around $5bn, he owns 40% of the consortium that owns Chelsea, he's the face of that consortium and is responsible for the day to day running of the club, the people who officially own the other 60% are both on the board and are worth another $8bn combined, Chelsea have a turnover of circa £480m per year

All this spending leads to the suggestion that it must be the saudis... I think there's every danger Chelsea are just an incredibly rich club owned by rich people spending every penny that they're allowed to spend, helped along the way with the contract lengths and the staggering of transfer payments

There is no evidence that the saudis directly put money in to chelsea - there is definitley no evidence that the saudis have anything to do with the running of the club or their transfer policy

True, but no one but an Arab country could afford to put, (not invest) 5 billion into a football club without expecting a return in investment.

43 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

No club in England has ever won the league 4 years on the spot.

So you're saying it's our year? We lost our first game away as Manure did that first year they won the prem. Fergie knows 😉

Edited by stewiek2
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

True, but no one but an Arab country could afford to put, (not invest) 5 billion into a football club without expecting a return in investment.

As a side to this I'd love to know how much owners take out of football clubs each year, I'm guessing the financial reports actually state it? The glazers are obviously bad men... But like our owners, we kind of know what they put in but how much do they actually take out? We also know that our owners have probably already doubled their investment should they decide to sell, I'm guessing long term Chelsea will be the same, at some point the madness will slow down and 20 years down the line these guys will sell up and have actually made money on them

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Don't disagree but surely they'd set the cap at the highest point? A cap of £250m per year is great for about 4 clubs

Since the Big 4 has been busted up a bit you would hope they have lost some leverage there. Although, I think any cap will help. You would have to put in a floor so clubs can't just refuse to spend (Looking at you Luton). The number would have to be sustainable for all PL clubs which would put a brake on the big spenders.  Maybe base it off of the fixture load for the upcoming campaign. I'm sure people smarter than us can think of a way. Right now it's just pure greed allowing this silliness. Countries owning clubs, its comical when you think about it for a couple minutes. 

Â