January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

The concern is Dybala’s injury proneness… but I’ve heard that he was the top assister in Serie A last season? Could significantly improve our creativity…

I’m just not keen on putting ageing players on expensive contracts though… we need to make intelligent deals (I expect Monchi to)… especially if they aren’t regularly available or robust enough to play consistently in the PL… negotiations won’t be easy as players like this will demand a lot and the club will want to be wiser and protect themselves…

I’d hope we’ve learned from previous experiences (of which there are many) such as Coutinho…

We don’t want to take on heavy financial burdens that we struggle to shift or offload later… not saying this would definitely be the case with Dybala but… it’s got to be taken into account…

• Like 1

I'd be shocked if we brought in another left footer in Dybala. We're already stacked with left footed inverted players, which is how he plays. Great player when he's fit but don't see the PL as a destination for him as I think it would be too physical for him with his injury record. Chelsea sounds about right for him tbh. 

Yeah… we do have too many left footed players… need to either replace (sell/move on) and upgrade on some of them rather than add to the numbers there… or just persevere with them and see if they improve enough…

A really talented right footed player to compete with Ramsey (finding his way back to fitness and form, others have “filled in”) on the left side could be helpful and an area we could improve in or expand on …

seems like we have too many players that want to play on the right side or up there with Ollie…

But again, RB and DM are the real “needs” in the squad…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Yeah… we do have too many left footed players… need to either replace (sell/move on) and upgrade on some of them rather than add to the numbers there… or just persevere with them and see if they improve enough…

A really talented right footed player to compete with Ramsey (finding his way back to fitness and form, others have “filled in”) on the left side could be helpful and an area we could improve in or expand on …

seems like we have too many players that want to play on the right side or up there with Ollie…

But again, RB and DM are the real “needs” in the squad…

Ideally someone who can also play as a winger in the RM role as well.  We've tried Cash there but just doesn't work for me, he can't beat a man and his crossing is below par.

6 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Ideally someone who can also play as a winger in the RM role as well.  We've tried Cash there but just doesn't work for me, he can't beat a man and his crossing is below par.

I think McGinn is favoured there… n we have Diaby, Bailey, Zaniolo… even Traore who can and would all probably favour RW or RM… playing as inverted wingers.

Unai prefers a more “solid” or “defensively sound” option there… which is why Cash has been played there when McGinn has been needed in the centre or on the left…

The side doesn’t have much room for “out and out” wingers and they are playing in support of Watkins when maybe a more creative player or playmaker would be more suitable (probably why Unai has put Tielemans there)… I’d like to see Zaniolo consistently played there rather than the wing too…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

I think this is still Unai’s favoured midfield, like last season, when everyone is fit and available.

The wingers (Diaby and Bailey) tend to be played up alongside Watkins… and they’ve been effective…

Ramsey.    Luiz.    Kamara.   McGinn

Since Ramsey has been injured, McGinn has had to fill in on the left wing and hasn’t been quite as good as when he plays on the right…

When Kamara got injured… we needed McGinn in the centre… so Cash or one of Bailey and Diaby got a game on the right.

Tielemans being out has made things more difficult too…

We can see the difficulty in strengthening that first team/eleven, other than at RB,  (without spending mega bucks or bringing in a star) but… competition and quality depth is healthy too… and we have some… but we can still improve…

Also, we don’t know if Unai wants or intends to tinker or change the system going forwards too… more or better players would allow him to do so…

McGinn has been one of our best players but the way he tends to get into the side and excel is at RM…

The left side continues to be favoured in an attacking sense…

Edited by Jas10

20 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I think McGinn is favoured there… n we have Diaby, Bailey, Zaniolo… even Traore who can and would all probably favour RW or RM… playing as inverted wingers.

Unai prefers a more “solid” or “defensively sound” option there… which is why Cash has been played there when McGinn has been needed in the centre or on the left…

The side doesn’t have much room for “out and out” wingers and they are playing in support of Watkins when maybe a more creative player or playmaker would be more suitable (probably why Unai has put Tielemans there)… I’d like to see Zaniolo consistently played there rather than the wing too…

Literally none of them are right footed.  Certain games Emery prefers a more traditional "winger" in that role to stay wide, we have nobody other than Cash.

Have we been linked? Why is Goldbridge saying this? Just a prediction or based on something? We know Emery was a big fan in the past…anybody heard anything? Sorry if this has already been talked about

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Literally none of them are right footed.  Certain games Emery prefers a more traditional "winger" in that role to stay wide, we have nobody other than Cash.

I know mate… too many left footers.

Ramsey is right footed but always plays on the left and still needs time to recover form, fitness, sharpness…

Tielemans is another right footer who is now being used as a more attacking player…

I think Cash (and mainly McGinn) play on the right side more because of their defensive ability rather than what foot they use but maybe I’m wrong…

Where we’re more attacking… or playing against weaker opposition… we’ve played more than one “forward” on that side and up alongside Ollie, like both Diaby and Bailey… 

Unai seems to prefer a more solid right side with more defensive and pressing ability in tougher games…

Moreno or Digne bombing down the left side…

That’s just the way I see it anyway…

We are the Jt second best goal scorers in the league to date.

Other than cover, I am struggling to see our problem in this area...we have failed to score just twice this season.

However, we have kept 4 clean sheets in 20.....I do see an issue there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

The concern is Dybala’s injury proneness… but I’ve heard that he was the top assister in Serie A last season? Could significantly improve our creativity…

I’m just not keen on putting ageing players on expensive contracts though… we need to make intelligent deals (I expect Monchi to)… especially if they aren’t regularly available or robust enough to play consistently in the PL… negotiations won’t be easy as players like this will demand a lot and the club will want to be wiser and protect themselves…

I’d hope we’ve learned from previous experiences (of which there are many) such as Coutinho…

We don’t want to take on heavy financial burdens that we struggle to shift or offload later… not saying this would definitely be the case with Dybala but… it’s got to be taken into account…

Just came in to ask, if he's so good, and so cheap ( clause ) , why aren't teams going for him?

Don't know much about him aside from reputation and highlights.

2 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

Where are these Zaha to Villa rumours coming from?

Would love Wilfried Zaha here. Zaha on the Left, Bailey on the Right. What an handful!

Having Martinez and Zaha in the team to wind the opposition up is something I can get behind 

• Like 3