January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

42 minutes ago, Awol said:

I love the speculation, especially as we know the club is actively looking to upgrade (at least) 3 outfield positions. It’s just not something to be worried about, imo - and that’s not directed at any individual poster.

Well… some people have different ways of looking at things and are more negative than others.. it’s all just opinions.

As you kind of pointed to, some are “concerned” or moreso than others but I don’t think there’s any real reason to be…

I guess one of the opinions is that we are in the best position and healthiest state for decades and since we have the chance to achieve something special… we should exploit it and go “all out” or strike while the iron is hot…

it’s just not that simple or straightforward though, is it? And that’s fine but we probably shouldn’t be worried or upset if we don’t end up signing anyone either… we have players to bring back from injury or lacking in sharpness/fitness and to play into form and elevate (as Unai has demonstrated he can do)…

Unai has already taken us this far… he will continue in that way… backed up by his old mate Monchi who will bring him the players he wants to try and improve us further… if and when they’re realistic possibilities… we may have to be patient…

I’m excited to see how our current players and the ones that have joined us more recently improve and help us too…

I’d love a quality RB and better alternative DM… but, it’s not a huge problem if we don’t manage it… I’m sure we will at least try for and enquire about players that could help us…

It’s so good to be able to relax and just enjoy the whole experience for a change.. rather than have genuine and worthwhile concerns as we are so used to… we are on the rise in a major way!

This time, if we do add… it will be from a position of real strength… that makes such a pleasant change!

UTV

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

I love when people use the term "tough market" when talking about a particular transfer window.

Its always going to be a tough market these days. 

The competition for player transfers is just crazy these days and player managers/agents only make it all harder !

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Villa Gaffa said:

I love when people use the term "tough market" when talking about a particular transfer window.

Its always going to be a tough market these days. 

The competition for player transfers is just crazy these days and player managers/agents only make it all harder !

You’re not wrong but… there is less time and it’s during the course of the season… the January market is a lot tougher than the summer one, that’s for sure…

It’s something a lot more difficult to plan for and many clubs panic buy or from a position of desperation…

Not all though, it’s still possible to pick up the odd player that can make a big difference… it’s an opportunity to plug a gap or to try and counteract player absences, injuries etc.

In the summer, there is more time to plan for signings, to coach and integrate new players properly… analyse who will fit into to an existing system and and improve a team in particular/specific ways…

Intelligent clubs would plan ahead for Jan windows too but… no doubt that it is much more difficult… and it’s harder to get hold of top players… you may have to overpay, compared to during the off season, too… clubs will be much less willing to let them go…

Edited by Jas10

2 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Djed Spence on loan...

Sent back from Leeds for not fitting in with "professionalism, discipline,  workload on and off the pitch". Words from Daniel Farke, who I've always rated.

It's not impossible, but it doesn't paint a good picture.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Sent back from Leeds for not fitting in with "professionalism, discipline,  workload on and off the pitch". Words from Daniel Farke, who I've always rated.

It's not impossible, but it doesn't paint a good picture.

i wouldnt touch anyone when a manager says something like that.

3 hours ago, romavillan said:

Koopmeiners? Still dunno who we could get as a class RB though.

Have watched Koopmeiners a few times and been unimpressed. Doesn’t strike me as an Emery signing either thank God!

13 minutes ago, striker said:

Have watched Koopmeiners a few times and been unimpressed. Doesn’t strike me as an Emery signing either thank God!

As the resident Koopmeiners fan, wtf is this? where has this link come from?

Edit - Nevermind it was just someone's suggestion.

Edited by paul514

4 hours ago, MaVilla said:

who is the spoofer?, Lange?

im fairly sure Gerrard implied he didnt know much about the Donk signing!

i agree with your points in principle though.

Lange was/is a friend of the Dendoncker family. (He may have worked with a brother of Leander's at some point.)

I remember reading an article detailing the relationship but I can't be arsed to find it.

Maybe we can spawn him off the Spuds?

4 hours ago, MaVilla said:

but if we choose not to try in jan, then miss out as our squad is a little light, it might have been those 1-2 signings in jan that tipped us in to the top 4.

I dunno, it could go either way, and signing players doesnt guarantee it ofc, but it also might!

oh the dilemma!

There's also the Asprilla history. That signing is largely credited with upsetting the balance in the Newcastle squad that was 12 points clear on NYD but went on to lose the title (the Keagan "I would love it season.")

If we sign the wrong player it can cause more bad than good.

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

Stupid and desperate teams make major signings in January. we are neither and wont be making wholesale changes

If think that prepare to be pissed off

Except Liverpool signing Van Dijk? Or Fernandes to Man Utd?

Not so stupid or desperate.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Anything11 said:

Except Liverpool signing Van Dijk? Or Fernandes to Man Utd?

Not so stupid or desperate.

Plenty of major signings have occurred in January. Luis Suarez, Coutinho, Ødegaard, Aubameyang to name a few more.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Plenty of major signings have occurred in January. Luis Suarez, Coutinho, Ødegaard, Aubameyang to name a few more.

yep just a lazy line.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Lange was/is a friend of the Dendoncker family. (He may have worked with a brother of Leander's at some point.)

I remember reading an article detailing the relationship but I can't be arsed to find it.

Maybe we can spawn him off the Spuds?

Woah… this is the first I’ve heard of this. Are you sure you don’t mean Olsen?

Two shit signings regardless.