January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

5 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

They do but look at City.  They have those players but have still struggled without debryun to do this 

I think we have the central attacking talent we lack the width and wingers. City have the reverse issue atm with KdB out. 

10 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

The top sides do that by keeping the width and quick switches of play to generate favourable one on ones. We only have Bailey as a winger in the squad. If we had a right footed Bailey and a Right footed Moreno we'd be set attack wise once Buendia is back fit. 

Definitely seems like we are lacking width down that right hand side.  We've tried Cash there and one game against Burnley aside, it just doesn't work, he doesn't have the skillset to play there regularly.  Emery usually played Yeremy Pino in the RM position, would love to go in for him.  

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

I think Tielemans really helps defeat this style of defending with his quick, perfectly weighted first time passes. It allows us to play through tight marking and press.

We've missed him.

Agreed, him and Bailey in the same side as the two 10s would unlock the issues. Tielemans seems to know his teammates better in the recent games and the speed and anticipation of his 3rd man passes is exceptional. The moment he receives the ball he knows the no look pass into the path of who it's meant for 

The goal against Arsenal I think was my favourite of the season and Tielemans putting Bailey through to do what he does best. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I do feel a Frimpong is the kind of player who makes the difference in what I feel is our most effective system. The one where Kamara drops to RCB in possession to allow both FBs to attack and hold with. McGinn starts in RM and comes central with Luiz for creative attacking CMs. 

The formation we used against Brighton and West Ham and we were sexy gods. 10-2 score line from those games.

That was with Cash as the attacking RB too. Frimpong would upgrade that to super sexy gods of attacking glory. 

Let's hope Monchi can work his magic, he did discover Dani Alves afterall 😉

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Definitely seems like we are lacking width down that right hand side.  We've tried Cash there and one game against Burnley aside, it just doesn't work, he doesn't have the skillset to play there regularly.  Emery usually played Yeremy Pino in the RM position, would love to go in for him.  

We seem to do the Cash in RM away to the better sides. It's like a 3 5 2 type attacking system but with a 4 4 2 defensive block which can become 5 3 2. 

It works on the left because Digne has outstanding attacking stats. Like top 10% in terms of LBs in xAG. We know Moreno is outstanding too. We don't get that from the right side. 

Emery wants a RM like Bailey who makes runs into box when the second striker is one to drop deeps. I think McGinn/Tielemans as the s/s is the perfect player for Bailey RM and a Frimpong RB with Kamara dropping fromCM to cover the RB space. 

So many positional movements it's nightmare for opposition to try mark. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, useless said:

The Athletic article didn't really say that Jérémie Frimpong or Alex Baena would be too expensive, just that they would be expensive and eat into the summer transfer budget, but that doesn't rule us out of making a move for either one. To be honest the article seems quite sepculative to me, as in seems to be a lot of guess work, at least with regards to who we might target.

Think depends on the reading of it. You're right it does say it would eat into our summer budget. But it also specifically says that both would be "prohibitively expensive" which would mean they're too rich for us this January.

Suppose he's probably giving his opinion (too expensive) whilst also giving himself an out (possible, but eats into Summers budget) incase he's wrong

but a move for him would be prohibitively expensive, similar to Villarrealmidfielder Alex Baena

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Daulmakan said:

https://www.ole.com.ar/seleccion/errores-foyth-copa-america_0_M8ECMVBaI.html

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/9003035/foyth-red-card-tottenham-bournemouth/

https://tntsports.com.ar/videos/gol-vancric-error-foyth-vf20191228mp4.html

https://www.tycsports.com/la-liga/villarreal-barcelona-el-grosero-error-de-foyth-que-termino-en-gol-de-griezmann-id337890.html

Enjoy.

Also, he is NOT a right back. He's played there when other options weren't available for Argentina, and he sucked even harder than at centre back.

Dybala is talented, but as you said, is pretty injury prone and doesn't really work well as a number 1 option, he doesn't thrive under pressure. He'd still be the choice out of those two, though, Werner sucks and has already proven he can't play in the Premier.

Thanks.

But Unai is a fan? Performed much better for Villareal and developed and improved his game there? Better player than his Spurs days and still relatively young… 

Loads of players make occasional mistakes/errors… especially when they’re young. Just seems a bit harsh to focus on old ones and continue to use them to form an opinion of the player? 

I don’t know, you would know better than me on this… but it’s possible that he has continually improved since those days… could end up being a worthwhile option for Argentina in future too… especially if an elite manager like Unai improves him perhaps? 🤷‍♂️

We’ve seen what he has done with some of our players… some that had been written off too..

What exactly would Dybala offer or what improvements would he bring to our side? Creativity? Better finishing? Best position supporting the CF (Watkins) and central?

Better than what we have?

I’ve not seen much of him but he never hugely impressed me or stood out on the rare occasions I’ve seen him playing… maybe I just saw his worst/quieter games 😆

Obviously has a positive reputation and talent… but he’s not getting any younger and the injuries are a real concern… Serie A is also a relatively weak/poor league (sadly) these days and whether players from there can transfer their form over to PL is debatable… it’s probably case by case and depends on the individual…

I would probably agree that he is the more appealing name when compared to Werner (also different kinds of players with different qualities) but, again, who knows what a top class manager like Unai can bring out of such players and the improvements that could be made…

Yeah, if he wilts under pressure we don’t want/need such a player… we need high energy and dynamism combined with technical quality, players who can face and overcome adversity and take hold of games… 

We’re probably not even interested in any of these players anyway 😂

Thanks again.

Edited by Jas10

2 minutes ago, rbcuk said:

Was hoping we was after Marcos Leonardo, but looks like he’s off to Benfica

I think it’s been apparent, for a while, that we’re not after a CF to displace or directly compete with Watkins… Unai is a fan and Ollie has committed his future to us…

Anyone who would come in to cover that particular position would have to be patient and understanding, in the respect that they aren’t going to be first choice and will have to accept a backup/rotational role and less minutes… a young player like Duran who, if he can be patient, develops and improves with us with a view to eventually taking over or even a “veteran” who’s happy to provide cover are probably the best options.

But we have some versatile attackers too… I could see Zaniolo working well there, even better supporting Watkins and moving there/centrally rather than on the wing…

Not to mention that Ollie has proved very robust and reliable (at least in terms of availability) ever since he arrived…

Regardless of our opinions, it’s probably just best to accept this going forwards…

Things might change if we get into CL.

5 hours ago, burchy said:

I’m intrigued to see which way the club go with both the RB and LM position. 

For the RB will we go for an attacking one in the mould of Moreno or will we go with a more defensive all rounder.

For the LM will we go for a right footed winger/inside forward that allows us to play a 433 or 4141 or will we go with a No10 that can come inside and score/assist - Simons/Wirtz being good examples. 

Ideally I’d like two options for both personally. An inside forward that can play out wide and also cover Watkins if needed, plus an attacking midfielder that can help us with the low block and be Ramseys competition.

For the RB position I’d go with the all rounder for now and revisit the attacking RB in the summer (Frimpong perhaps), with us looking to offload Cash at the same time.

Of course the above scenario is me being greedy though.

Is there a point in going for a more defensive RB if Konsa is preferred and has played there?

Cash has played but barely impressed and has even frustrated Unai… I think we need a better version of him rather than an alternative version of Konsa. 

We do need Ezri back in the centre though… Pau and Konsa is our best available CB partnership for sure…

I think we need a RB who will make us more potent and effective going forward but also has the ability to defend… not just a converted winger…

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Awol said:

We’ve struggled against teams playing a low block because we don’t have someone who can unlock a defence. Buendia is still a way off coming back and we don’t have a similar profile in the squad. We need our own version of a Maddison - Odegaard - KDB. 

From what I’ve read on here that could be Alex Baena, but I’ve never watched him play..

All for it but don’t think it’s highest priority… we have players like Tielemans, Ramsey, Zaniolo (not a winger and Unai has said that he has played him out of position to get him in the side and acclimatised with his team mates), even Luiz and McGinn that could take on that role…

Bailey and Diaby are wingers that I personally believe it would be best to play in and compete for a spot in their natural positions and  rather than in support of Watkins… but what do I know, especially compared to Unai?

Tielemans seems to have been given that creative responsibility and role/position but sadly got injured at an unfortunate time. Kind of leaving us short at CM where he never looked good for us, hopefully he can in future. 

Will be great to have Buendia back.

Luiz can do that job too if he has a solid base behind him and less defensive responsibility… he has created a lot of chances and goals… probably been our most creative player…

I’m all for quality signings but it’s hard to know/judge exactly what Unai wants and believes he needs.

The main problem for me is the drop off when Kamara is unavailable and how limited we are at RB. Anything beyond that would be a welcome bonus… imo anyway.

3 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

From Jacob Tanswell at The Athletic.

Not much new in there. 

• We have some £'s, but not loads (FFP)
  • Digne could still leave despite his form, because of his £3b a week wages
  • Acuna could then be looked at again
  • Unai also wants a RB (shock)
  • Jérémie Frimpong will be too expensive
  • A winger is also on the list,
  • But Alex Baena is also too expensive
  • Bailey due for contract talks (2Yr left)
  • Traore will leave in summer, end of deal
  • Chambers and Dendoncker can also go

If there’s any truth to that, Digne’s injury will probably scupper those plans…

3 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

It also does not feel like a mistake that he's highlighted we haven't spent more than £27m in any of the last 3 January windows. 

I think we'll spend more than that, given our position, and ability to hopefully shift the likes of Dendoncker etc to add a bit to the wage bill & money pot.

But I don't think we'll see us spend £40m on a single player. Maybe a £15-20m on a RB, similar on a Winger/Striker and then replace Dendoncker only if he moves. 

Qualifying for CL will really boost our appeal and spending power in future… that’s the dream and aim… unless we somehow manage to win/compete for the title toward the latter end of the season 😂

One or two intelligent, even ambitious, signings would really help us out and maybe we can “offset” the outlay by managing to achieve something special like that…

🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Awol said:

Shame about Digne, I’d like to keep him but his agent did too good of a job negotiating his contract. 

Despite his form and how he’s stepped up and done well for us… it’s just intelligent to at least think about and plan for his departure considering his age and wages. And to attempt to bring in a younger and more suitable option for the future…

If his contract was more modest, we probably wouldn’t even be considering moving him on just yet but… it’s a bit of a burden…

Cyril Ngonge plays primarily on the right, we require a player that is a known threat on the left side where ramsey/zaniolo occupy as thats our current weak area so I’m not so sure on this being the one that fires us over the line🤔

Bailey and Diaby are more than sufficient on that right side , however we would need them to be able to play more central and on the right when its time to be flexible. 

Edited by RicRic

2 hours ago, duke313 said:

The plus side is his stock will have risen massively this first half of the season.  If we are looking to sell, we should have no shortage of suitors.

Interesting… but there aren’t many sides in foreign leagues that can pay big/decent fees or are willing to do so for older players… not to mention the wages/demands…

I think the injury will stop this idea/plan though and he will at least see the rest of the season out.

Tbh… it would be a bit sad to see anyone who’s contributed and played a significant part in our progress this season to leave before it’s over and not experience what we end up achieving…

The injury to Mings is the saddest of all and him having to miss out, considering all he has done for/with us… hopefully we’ll have Buendia back before long and he can play his part… that will be a pleasant boost and big positive.

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 2