January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

56 minutes ago, KMitch said:

MGW the definition of a highlight reel player...  Does fook all 9 games out of 10, then looks like a world beater that one game.  Considering you've already written off Buendia, Bailey, Zaniolo, Diaby, etc as too shit for us, I can't wait to see how many games it'll take for you to write off MGW as well...

I’ve not written off Diaby! I just said his form is worrying. You’re right about Buendia and Zaniolo - both not good enough. Baileys turnaround has taken plenty by surprise.

Gibbs White isn’t a highlight reel player either. Quite the opposite. 

• Haha 4

GIbbs-White is a very good player, but the only way he fits into our team is as a No.10 or second striker, his game isn't suited to playing out wide, he wouldn't be a good alternative to Jacob Ramsey on the left as has been suggsted for example, also probably needs to add more goals to his game before da Crèmery de la crèmery is prepared to pay big money for him

Conversation with the past 🛋️

As well as being one of, if not the best player in the Championship last season for Sheffield United, Gibbs-White was also very good for Swansea when Cooper was their manager, and I don't think he's been that bad for Wolves in the Premier League, it's more that as an attacking midfielder he didn't really suit their system as they don't play with attacking midfielders as such, see also last summer when they decided not to make Vitinha's loan permanet for around £10m, now one year later he's signed for Paris Saint-Germain for £40m.

The ironic thing is is that Sheffield United used him in a more advanced role, and if Wolves had have used him in a similar way this season he would have suited their system a lot better, as would basically be playing where Hwang as been playing for them, that is just off the striker.

Not sure if it's much different to us when we paid £30m for Watkins, he had had three good seasons in the championship, but arguably only one of those was exceptional after Brentford moved him from the wing to the centre-forward position.

Original words here, I don't think we will be interested, but he's been a good signing for them, and they will make a profit when he leaves, certainly not an highlights player ask their fans

Edited by useless

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

With Forest about to be fined/docked points, it’s time for us to go and get Gibbs White. 

If that doesn't happen I think he'll be a very good player in a Nuno counter attacking team, not sure he suits us and definitely won't be value for money there but he should end the season looking better than he probably is 

2 minutes ago, Dirtysanchez said:

Anyone take Summerville and Gray at Leeds?

I think that Gray is likely to be a cracking player in a couple of years time. Not sure we can afford to buy him for the money they’d want and have him take a couple of years to get up to speed with our level. Summerville is quick but quite lightweight. Not sure he fits our system. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dirtysanchez said:

Anyone take Summerville and Gray at Leeds?

I would take Gray of the two. Doubt they would have us as their first choice club to sell him to though, they still don't seem to like us...

We could easily afford Gray, if he was to leave now they would get around fifteen million at the most, maybe a little more with add ons, but he's probably not of the mind to leave Leeds at the moment, he's getting first team football and playing for the team he supports and his family has a strong connection with, his younger brother Harry is also in the Leeds academy and also very highly rated, Man City apparently trying to sign him.

When you consider he's only seventeen, and playing out of position, then to look as competent as he does at Championship level, shows big promise, and it's not just promise with him, he's already performing to a good standard, but has potential to get even better.

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

With Forest about to be fined/docked points, it’s time for us to go and get Gibbs White. 

You know I've never paid attention to this lad but keep seeing glowing reports about him from fans, so must have something about him.

Don't even know what position he plays!

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

You know I've never paid attention to this lad but keep seeing glowing reports about him from fans, so must have something about him.

Very good player and will only get better.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

He prefers to play as a 10 I think his best position would be as an 8 as he develops. 

• Like 1

Gibbs-White doesn't really have the overall game to play as an eight, I've seen him play there for England U21s and doesn't suit him at all, I think Wolves tried him there too, and it didn't work, I've seen comparisons to Ramsey, but in terms of style of play he's closer to Buendia. Also he's not that young, he turns twenty-four this month, so will already know his best position pretty much.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Awol said:

Jokes aside, Leao is the next level of player needed to improve the 11. Left wing and CF cover. Remember us being ‘after’ him (in VT transfer thread world) before he went to Italy. If we get UCL for next season players like that become genuine targets, imo.

Would take a few years of consistence CL qualification before we could afford Leao. He’d cost £100m+ and wages of £250k+. We’re not at that level.

• Like 1

Leeds owners aren't especially rich relative to other clubs, if any top teams come in for their players there's not much they can do about it, also the 49ers have been running them for a while now, since they bought a minority stake two or three years back, the full takeover wasn't some amazing new dawn for them, it was a continuation of what had already been happening, they haven't suddenly become some big financial powherhouse, they lost a load of players in the summer to loan deals, sanctioned whilst being run by the 49ers, was the 49ers who sacked Bielsa and put Marsch in place.

Have people even watched Summerville play, or just presuming he's good because he's getting goals and assists, similar to when Archer would score a goal last season and people would insist he has to play for us, or Azaz scores a good goal, and we suddenly get calls for him to be given a chance for us, or to be loaned to another PL team, from what I've seen he doesn't look any better than Philogene, if anything I would say Philogene has a more rounded game, Summerville is mostly about running with the ball at pace and that's pretty much it, albeit he's very good at that.

Not a bad player per se, but I'd be surprised if we were interested, would rather Illng Jr

• Like 2

1 hour ago, useless said:

Gibbs-White doesn't really have the overall game to play as an eight, I've seen him play there for England U21s and doesn't suit him at all, I think Wolves tried him there too, and it didn't work, I've seen comparisons to Ramsey, but in terms of style of play he's closer to Buendia. Also he's not that young, he turns twenty-four this month, so will already know his best position pretty much.

I kinda agree but I don't think he technique is good enough to play the 10 role in the same was someone like Madison does.  He's very mobile which is why I think he's be better as an 8.  Have to day even though I rate him I haven't watched loads of him 

2 minutes ago, beasley14 said:

I kinda agree but I don't think he technique is good enough to play the 10 role in the same was someone like Madison does.  He's very mobile which is why I think he's be better as an 8.  Have to day even though I rate him I haven't watched loads of him 

I think for the mobility reason, he would be good in Unai's system as essentially a faster Buendia.

We have had at times - Buendia, McGinn, Tielemans, and Diaby (currently) playing in that 10 position so they don't have to be superb technically. More important that they're able to progress us up the pitch against a sustained press and then have enough creativity to create artificial transitions and then play the correct passes or create against a low block.

• Like 1