January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

Depth at RB would be lovely.

ST is a difficult one, as I like Durán and don't want to stunt his development, but if we want to challenge for the top 4/title then we do need a more "ready" alternative to Watkins.

We're in a position now where we're upgrading to suit our style, rather than filling gaps. Players like Chambers, Dendoncker and possibly Cash don't really suit this way of playing - none of them are bad players, they just aren't suited to us. Thats a job for the summer though.

I wouldn't be up in arms if we didn't sign anyone this window.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

Only @paul514 can mention koopmeiners ! 

2 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

We have sold 157 million of homegrown in the last 29 months. Not many dealers could achieve that....

That’s impressive provided that we spend a similar amount to increase the depth and quality of our squad. Big credit to the development department is definitely due though, over to Monchi and crew now I guess. I’m pretty confident that we will spend the money wisely now, especially with the sultan drawing up the shopping list. 

Edited by DaveAV1

36 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Wouldn’t happen in Jan, but always been impressed with Gibbs White. 

Potentially a great player. Never goes missing it seems. Needs to calm down a bit like McGinn did when Emery came. Hold on to the ball sometimes rather than constantly look forward.  But yes there is something there. 

22 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

According to reports,  per week he's on as much or more than our highest paid player so that's that then

Depends whether or not he’d like to play football and do something with his remaining career. 

I think the following players could be interesting prospects/challengers for Cash at the RB position.

Fabiano Parisi

Bafodé Diakité

Benjamin Henrichs

I wonder who, if any, we might be linked with though. Or whether the club/Unai is happy with the Cash/Konsa option.

4 hours ago, lexicon said:

It's pretty hard to know where to begin with a post like that - arrogance, xenophobia, bigotry, accusing people of virtue signalling because they actually do give a shit, accusing someone who literally does have family and friends there of virtue signalling. You're a terrible human being. 

But you had a go where to start anyway 👍

2 hours ago, StewieGriffin said:

Depth at RB would be lovely.

ST is a difficult one, as I like Durán and don't want to stunt his development, but if we want to challenge for the top 4/title then we do need a more "ready" alternative to Watkins.

We're in a position now where we're upgrading to suit our style, rather than filling gaps. Players like Chambers, Dendoncker and possibly Cash don't really suit this way of playing - none of them are bad players, they just aren't suited to us. Thats a job for the summer though.

I wouldn't be up in arms if we didn't sign anyone this window.

Frimpong is the obvious choice for me. 37 mil release clause

1 hour ago, paul514 said:

Frimpong is the obvious choice for me. 37 mil release clause

His defensive numbers are low compared to Cash seeing he's playing RM in 343 for all this season and most of last. People can say RWB all they want but his heat map this season has him barely in first third.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

His defensive numbers are low compared to Cash seeing he's playing RM in 343 for all this season and most of last. People can say RWB all they want but his heat map this season has him barely in first third.

He is being asked to do a different job.

also this may shock people but a key part of our full backs play is to get very high up the pitch in Emery’s system.

If we sign Frimpong, he'll basically only play when we play Torres, Carlos and Konsa at the back. Bailey has excelled in that position this season, and Cash has done a different job when more defensive effort has been needed. Frimpong would likely only be replacing the Bailey part of that. We still need a guy who can play a more orthodox RB role. If Konsa is the designated RB, then we'd also need to sign another right sided CB anyway. 

It might have been different if Mings could have been the left sided version of Konsa, and we didn't have 2 attacking LBs, but it's unlikely Mings will be able to do that when he comes back, and Torres isn't fast enough to do it, so unless we sign someone like Hincapié in place of Digne, we primarily need a RB that is comfortable in basically a back 3.

I don't have a problem with signing an attacking RB in theory, but I don't see any sense in spending a huge chunk of the budget on one. Cash is a weaker link than Bailey, McGinn and Ramsey, but Frimpong would eat into their roles more than Cash's. It just doesn't seem like the most sensible use of a limited budget.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

Hugo Guillamon From Valencia appears to be the perfect fit to compete / rotate with Kamara.  He’s  converted to DM from being a CB 

This rotate key players is nonsense. Top clubs don't do it like many want to on here. Rice has played bulk PL minutes for Arsenal, Salah for Liverpool and on and on. Kamara has played less because of 5 YC suspension

@Kiwivillan we need a higher quality squad so if say Kamara’s form dips, or we actually manage to put multiple cup runs together as we just cannot expect the same XI every competition to be able to compete at the higher end. Fatigue, injuries, loss of form will play a part and we need like for like replacements. Plus competition for places raises standards. 

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 2

On 16/12/2023 at 07:01, paul514 said:

But you had a go where to start anyway 👍

Fair play to them for standing up to you. The conversation may have gone wildly off topic but to repeatedly laugh at someone who was expressing concern for the well-being of others, potentially friends or family, is completely despicable and reflects the lowest level of humanity. I’ve been reading this forum for many years but  your reactions here are by miles the worst I’ve ever seen. You should be ashamed of yourself but that would require a basic level of empathy. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1