January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

8 hours ago, Adman said:

Duran is Ollie's backup.  We're not signing anyone in that position imo

Despite that Emery said different at the beginning of the year twice plus rumours of our interest of a striker in the summer.  Maybe the rumours were false but Emery said himself.

12 hours ago, Thats2 said:

What kind of striker will agree to come and be Ollie's backup? If we're determined to sort it in January, I think the answer is old heads and youngsters. One of which we already have (Duran) and one of which we sold last January (Ings).

11 hours ago, ChicagoVillan1983 said:

If Watkins goes down, then it'll be 50mm plus to have someone anywhere near as good.

So, yes I'd be fine with it. Strikers in January is the premium of the premium pricing. Just don't see that's the kind of long-term-oriented move that we'd make.

You end up buying a Heskey-type on high wages at a reasonable price point.

12 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

Tbh I wouldn’t be happy playing Nketiah but Arsenal were last season and it’s partly reason why their title challenge failed. I’d love a striker as good as Watkins in the squad but It isn’t as easy as that I’m afraid Nick.

That’s why Monchi has come in to enhance the squad as one of his tasks. To find those players that can add value to the team and if you think they aren’t reviewing all areas then I have a bridge to sell you.  It’s obvious if Ollie goes down we are light in that area…is it a challenge to get quality in that area to come in? Of course, but that’s what Emery and Monchi do. Is January the right time to do it? Only if the right player is available and that, none of us know but again that’s their job…just as the same any other positions that Emery and Monchi are looking at but nobody can deny it’s a large drop off if Ollie gets injured. LB,CB,CM&WideMid we have quality cover but we are light at GK, RB and striker.  Whether we go into the market in Jan will depend on what’s available which none of us know, or who Emery/Monchi are looking at or their values.

38 minutes ago, nick76 said:

You wouldn’t be happy with Gakpo or Nunez up front if Watkins was out…wow! I can’t disagree more.

Well Gakpo isnt great as a striker and Nunez is really crap. Both have quite poor goal records considering who they play for

36 minutes ago, nick76 said:

nobody can deny it’s a large drop off if Ollie gets injured.

Same said for every team chasing the title. Arsenal aren't looking to sign Saka replacement in case he gets injured. City Haaland etc. Spurs, Newcastle have had some key injuries and they've just got on with it. Doesn't mean any of those teams are going to spend big in January. Villa have used least amount of players in the league. Maybe that's how Emery wants to operate? He sure seems like he doesn't want bloat signings for the sake of it

I’d love us to go for a Wirtz or Simons but that doesn’t seem to be the way Emery and Monchi work. 

I think we need a couple of players to give some flexibility tactically and also provide cover if needed.

Forgoing the GK situation, which I think will be rectified in the Summer I think we need (worst case scenario). 

Versatile CM that can cover both Luiz and Kamara (I would ideally like two players for this). 

A right footed wide man/inside forward  that can be an option on the left with Ramsey but can also cover up front if needed. 

A Chambers esque (but better) RB that can cover DM and CB if required.

Those three would give us loads of tactical flexibility and cover with us then bringing in a new attacking RB in the summer (Frimpong perhaps) and a new GK. 

3 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

I disagree. Ornstein is the only national journo with Percy that has credibly demonstrated an inside track on Villa. 

Percy gave up on links to us a while ago now as he obviously lost his inside source

26 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

David Ornstein on the Athletic pod specifically said our focus in Jan will be on RB and on upgrading Donks. 

Can’t see it myself, Donks will only be replaced if he moves on and we have Cash and Konsa who are performing admirably when called upon. I’m actually struggling to see us doing much business in January unless we sell.

• Like 1

Yeah RB and letting Donk go and getting an upgrade are the obvious weak links in the side. That aside, not much else.  The young fella Kellyman (? ) might be more involved or go for a loan.  Sometimes you think it'd be handy having Archer, Ramsay or JPB around as squad options but they are getting more out of their loans I guess. Would still find it hard to say they'd get substantial minutes over anyone else on the bencvh at the mo. 

We do have Buendia coming back of course, maybe not until March or so, but he'll be great to have back.

1 minute ago, Rodders said:

Yeah RB and letting Donk go and getting an upgrade are the obvious weak links in the side. That aside, not much else.  The young fella Kellyman (? ) might be more involved or go for a loan.  Sometimes you think it'd be handy having Archer, Ramsay or JPB around as squad options but they are getting more out of their loans I guess. Would still find it hard to say they'd get substantial minutes over anyone else on the bencvh at the mo. 

We do have Buendia coming back of course, maybe not until March or so, but he'll be great to have back.

Hate to be the bringer of bad news but they aren’t on loan!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Rightdm00 said:

Which title contender has a backup striker?  Chelsea are going back in January for another striker. So that market is going to be crazy inflated. No way we find any available player at a decent value. 

I reckon is our best bet is to continue to try what we've been doing.

Find versatile attacking players which can potentially play all across the front and have an eye for goal.

• Like 2

There is also a huge stick/twist opportunity cost. I suspect they have top 5 targets in each key position already agreed and are actively speaking to targets re Jan.

If interest is not there they will just wait until June and will gamble on fitness of the current squad. 

A lot depends on what Emery thinks of Tim. If he rates him that might be enough to wait until the summer.

40 minutes ago, Rodders said:

This was purely for FFP reason. Apparently we’re ok financially for a couple of years now.

12 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Ultimately, I think essentially anything, or anyone, is on the table as long as Emery sees a need and they're available at a price point the club feel works in terms of the overall scope. That might mean nobody, it might mean another centre half.

Nobody thought a left back was a priority last January, but the right player became available at the right price. 

I actually think our biggest *need* lies in centre mid. Without either Kamara or Luiz we are vulnerable, and they play a position which is the most susceptible to fatigue. I think we'd cope better without Watkins rather than Luiz for any extended period of time. 

Not so random, and very spot on!

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

Arsenal aren't looking to sign Saka replacement in case he gets injured.

How do you know that?  They brought Trossard to cover Martinelli so who knows if they are looking for a Saka back up as we speak.

As for City they have Alvarez, the World Cup winning forward and goal scorer.

Spurs, Newcastle have had some key injuries and they've just got on with it. Doesn't mean any of those teams are going to spend big in January.

Haven’t you just proved my point, they just got on with it and have fallen back and thus if the same happened to us then we’d fall back from the higher places.  You’re arguing my case.  As for whether they’ll spend that s also unknown.

Villa have used least amount of players in the league. Maybe that's how Emery wants to operate? He sure seems like he doesn't want bloat signings for the sake of it

Yeah he has said he wants a “family” squad but he’s already said he wanted another striker twice earlier in the year after he brought Duran.  You don’t think we need one, I think we do…we’ll just have to wait and see.