January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

24 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Back up keeper isn’t that hard you just get an experienced pro prob over 32 which isn’t old in goalkeeper terms who is super professional and wants a good contract

With that in mind, Is  Shay Given still with us? Surely his 50 year contract must be almost half done by now?

Edited by DaveAV1
  • Haha 4

RB for competition/cover in case of injury for Cash (Konsa can play there, but I'd rather he be at CB all the time) and backup keeper is probably all I'd look to do at this point.  I am a massive fan of Duran, can't wait to see him back in the mix again and don't see the need for another striker.

1 hour ago, TheLegendOfLeonBailey31 said:

RB for competition/cover in case of injury for Cash (Konsa can play there, but I'd rather he be at CB all the time) and backup keeper is probably all I'd look to do at this point.  I am a massive fan of Duran, can't wait to see him back in the mix again and don't see the need for another striker.

It’s easy to say we should get another striker but I honestly think with the system we play it wouldn’t matter much if the players behind the front two are in good physical shape which requires a couple of players of equal or better quality than the current first choice.

if we get that right we can concentrate on a forward/wide midfielder or striker in a future window then knowing the rest of the team is sorted

• Like 1

3 hours ago, paul514 said:

Back up keeper isn’t that hard you just get an experienced pro prob over 32 which isn’t old in goalkeeper terms who is super professional and wants a good contract

It's a joke. Seville keeper is Nyland. People will eventually bitch and moan about GK that replaces Olsen if it happens. If Olsen let 5 in vs Newcastle there would be predictable melt downs on here but barely a word is said about Martinez conceding 5 in a game

22 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

It's a joke. Seville keeper is Nyland. People will eventually bitch and moan about GK that replaces Olsen if it happens. If Olsen let 5 in vs Newcastle there would be predictable melt downs on here but barely a word is said about Martinez conceding 5 in a game

For your joke to land, we would have to know who the Seville keeper currently is, so about 1 in 100 will get the joke.

Moving on, that is because we trust Martinez

• Like 1

The more I think about it the more we need another young high potential 6 in Jan to be able to cover Luiz and Kamara as the drop off from them to Donks is scary. 

Then we upgrade right back and if possible get the back up keeper. 

We should be covered in forward positions with Zaniolo, Bailey, Tielemans and Ramsey fighting for one position unless a real game changer becomes available in Jan if we are flying high in the league. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

The more I think about it the more we need another young high potential 6 in Jan to be able to cover Luiz and Kamara as the drop off from them to Donks is scary. 

Then we upgrade right back and if possible get the back up keeper. 

We should be covered in forward positions with Zaniolo, Bailey, Tielemans and Ramsey fighting for one position unless a real game changer becomes available in Jan if we are flying high in the league. 

In general, I think we should be signing young(ish) players with very high potential  that are nearly ready, and who could be pushing for game time fairly soon after signing. But maybe only 1 or 2

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

We were clearly looking for one in Summer with all the links to Ugarte, Adams, etc. If we find a move for Donk, I think we'll be back in for one.

2 hours ago, DakotaVilla said:

I thought people wanted Iroegbunam to come through? Tielemans covers Luiz at 8. Donks had good games last season in important games. Didn't something happen with newborn why he was not picked for a while this season?

Well Donks and Tim have until January to make a case. 

I suspect Donks will be sold and upgraded and Tim kept as fourth choice which is fine. We need a player at the same level as Kamara and Luiz to maintain form as that’s where the majority of games are won and lost. 

I think Tielemans has shown that the Luiz role in an Emery set up doesn’t suit him entirely well. He’s far better suited to the McGinn type role or as per Fulham.

10 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Last time I checked Olsen was nowhere near picking up an award for best keeper in the world. If a player has proven quality people will cut them some slack for an off day. The only thing Olsen has proven is that he is unable to perform to the level required by emery. Ideally we need a keeper who has similar attributes to Ederson as Olsen's distribution under pressure is nowhere near good enough and he has no confidence. 

• Like 2

Decent back up keeper and striker are essential for January,as any significant injury to Martinez or Watkins will totally derail our season. We could do with getting replacements in for Chambers, Traore and Dendoncker as well. Emery doesn't trust them enough to give them game time so are just wasting a space in our squad, which could be filled with someone who can do a decent job when required and fits the style we play. 

Edited by Made In Aston
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

Decent back up keeper and striker are essential for January,as any significant injury to Martinez or Watkins will totally derail our season. We could do with getting replacements in for Chambers, Traore and Dendoncker as well. Emery doesn't trust them enough to give them game time so are just wasting a space in our squad, which could be filled with someone who can do a decent job when required and fits the style we play. 

Pretty much agree with this, although if Duran is staying I don't think striker will be covered.  

Donk is definitely done here, upgraded is needed.  I wouldn't be surprised to see a new keeper based on the fact Olsen no longer plays cup games and he's spoken about his future recently.

Unpopular perhaps but always liked Timo Werner and see he’s being linked with a move away from Leipzig - if Duran leaves on loan he could be a good pickup on the right terms potentially … 

Edited by thabucks

With a bench of 9 and assuming Moreno and Ramsey start that means our strongest bench currently is:

- Olsen

- Carlos

- Lenglet 

- Digne

- Donks

- Tielemans

- Bailey

- Zaniolo

- Duran

Obvs we still have Chambers, Traore and Tim as well. 

With Buendia set to come back before end of the season we seem fully stacked in attacking positions but questions re Duran as sole Watkins cover remain. Also can we get a big upgrade on Zaniolo or can he become the player we need him to be?

Olsen and Donks are definitely the obvious ones in the premier league squad to upgrade. And maybe swap Lenglet for a right back. 

On 14/11/2023 at 22:47, paul514 said:

Isn't that hard? Can you name anyone fitting your description who is clearly a reliable keeper and would be willing to come in as backup?

• Thanks 1