Ratings & Reactions: Newcastle v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

187 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 14/08/23 at 22:59

Thankfully I’m on holiday in Donegal and very drunk. I have every confidence that the leprechauns I’ve just seen in black and white shirts were not actually real and that I’m about to wake up safe and sound at the end of a rainbow

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

I mean, going by your logic pretty much most teams have a culture of unpreparedness running through them.

I can think of literally one player who continued to disappointed who started today (Bailey), and he would almost certainly not have started had Buendia not got injured.

But 'other teams' aren't relevant to this conversation at all...

Villa supposedly have an elite manager, but yet we aren't allowed to question...

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang

Just now, Zhan_Zhuang said:

They kind of are because part of your argument seems to rest on the fact that we do something that most teams also do. So do they typify lack of preparedness too? If so, that seems like a very odd definition.

8 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

We'll be fine and have another top half finish.

If we can add a trophy on top of that, great.

We're not competing with Newcastle and were never going to.

I'd go all out in cups. No way we're reaching Europe via the league again.

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

I mean, going by your logic pretty much most teams have a culture of unpreparedness running through them.

I can think of literally one player who continued to disappointed who started today (Bailey), and he would almost certainly not have started had Buendia not got injured.

That’s my point. Why haven’t we improved on those weak links? We shouldn’t be in a position which means we have to start them.
Even if it is only one player that has continued to disappoint, they should have been improved upon so that we do not have to play them. 

13 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Not that it isn't any good, but Rocket's story is... very emotional.

Going to watch tomorrow 👍 at the moment I'm just baffled listening to the noses on if carslberg did football days 🤦‍♂️ haven't heard from them in god knows when, embarrassing bunch ain't they 🤣

1 minute ago, Tayls said:

That’s my point. Why haven’t we improved on those weak links? We shouldn’t be in a position which means we have to start them.
Even if it is only one player that has continued to disappoint, they should have been improved upon so that we do not have to play them. 

We have improved on that weak link in getting Diaby, but Buendia got injured hence why Bailey had to come back in. Ramsey is also out. Also the window isn't even over yet?

14 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Villa supposedly have an elite manager, but yet we aren't allowed to question...

But he doesn't have elite players now does he?

Emery is just a man. He doesn't have a magic wand.

He is improving us but to expect we'll challenge the top 4 is a bit far.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WallisFrizz said:

Well for a start I think Diego Carlos looked a bit better than Torres so maybe he will have to partner Konsa. Cash needs upgrading, should have been done already and now is essential. The main task will be picking morale up off the floor.

Konsa had a mare. Carlos and Pau next game.

Newcastle away 

our kryptonite 

get over it

should have been 2/2 

then 3/3 

everything that could go against us did 

can everyone argue with that 

after that fair enough 

but we properly smashed them last season at our place 

they didn’t do that to us today 

no way way not close 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eliseav said:

Newcastle away 

our kryptonite 

get over it

should have been 2/2 

then 3/3 

everything that could go against us did 

can everyone argue with that 

after that fair enough 

but we properly smashed them last season at our place 

they didn’t do that to us today 

no way way not close 

There is at least 4 Haikus in this post.

One game. Terrible result, but it really was a game of moments, in the end we deserved to lose, 5-1 flattered them, we crumbled but signs were there that we can score goals.

Defensively and tactically though today was a real off day.

Win the next 2 and the mood changes hugely, Newcastle are a good side and as strong as anyone at home in this league, but this felt a little like a freak result like the Liverpool 7-2 game.

• Like 3

Firstly, that was atrocious defending throughout.

People criticising Bailey need to realise that Bailey is not on the pitch to defend, he has nothing to do with the offside trap. The first 45 minutes we created chances and were in the game. Second half Bailey isn't on the pitch, we conceded 3 and created zilch! The first goal nobody spotted Tonali's run. It wasn't Bailey's fault.

The manager got this wrong. Cash and Digne continually ruining our offside trap. What was Pau doing for the 5th goal I don't  know. Konsa threw the game away with his mistake for the 3rd goal. Cash and Digne playing the assister onside for the second goal. Where was  Carlos for the 4th goal? Just disgusting defending all round

Bailey wasn't the man for this game, in hindsight it should've been Coutinho. Beforehand I wanted to see Philogene. Not because Bailey was particularly bad (because he wasn't), but we needed someone to move into that central area between their midfield and defence where there was acres of space. It's why Buendia has been so effective against Newcastle.

McGinn on the left didn't work. Tielemens for Bailey made us worse. Pau doesn't speak English, Konsa doesn't take charge, there was no leadership or organisation once Mings went off.

5 - 1 was the fair score. Second half we got ripped to shreds, Martinez made some top saves.

Martinez - 7

Cash - 2

Konsa - 3

Carlos - 4

Mings - 6

Pau - 4

Digne - 4

Kamara - 4

Luiz - 5

McGinn - 4

Tielemens - 3

Bailey - 4

Diaby - 7

Watkins - 5

Philogene and Coutinho never had a chance to make an impact.

Lots of work to do with that defence. I believe Emery will go Pau and Carlos in the centre, so Pau can lead, Konsa right back probably.

We have been badly exposed at the back, we have problems that new signings can't fix with Mings injury.

• Like 1