Nicolò Zaniolo

Delphinho123

56 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

This is something i don't understand, we have literally stopped trying to uncover uncut/unproven gems - ala Brighton, Brentford (even Southampton).

I know we need proven talent and that is 70-80% the focus - but do we have no scouting network other than for youth?

I know Duran could be considered that, but not for the money paid... 

People want players to come straight in first team. Brighton haven't done that. Mitoma went out on loan first. No patience with our fanbase that want ready made first team players

• Like 2

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

People want players to come straight in first team. Brighton haven't done that. Mitoma went out on loan first. No patience with our fanbase that want ready made first team players

Don't think our transfer policy is based on and dictated by the impatience of a section of our fanbase on social media. 

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

They want ready made first team players that are also unknown hidden gems, can't win 🤣

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, skarroki said:

What was the point you were trying to make?

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

Okay got that, so I'm just trying to understand how that links to our transfer policy shifting?

I would say we're not taking risks on young talent because there's no need to any more. We can afford not to and we're in a position in the league to attract ready-made.

I would also say Brighton have signed a lot of players this season that are ready-made too and have missed out on people that were fairly sure-fire like Colwill. Pedro record signing, they know what you're getting with Milner and Dahoud and £17mil for a GK in Verbruggen is a big outlay. Not a lot of loans now, transfer strategy definitely evolving. 

7 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Brighton spent £30m on Joao Pedro who went straight into their starting 11

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, VillanousOne said:

This is something i don't understand, we have literally stopped trying to uncover uncut/unproven gems - ala Brighton, Brentford (even Southampton).

I know we need proven talent and that is 70-80% the focus - but do we have no scouting network other than for youth?

I know Duran could be considered that, but not for the money paid... 

it’s not like we are signing every player exclusively from the premier league like Arsenal . And it’s not like all of Brighton’s signings have been unknown unestablished players. Estupinian came from Villarreal,  Cucarella from Getafe,  you don’t need an amazing scout to know who Jao Pedro , Adam Webster and Billy Gilmour are. Then there are flops like Jakub Moder . Players like Mitoma have been out on loan. It’s a well run club don’t get me wrong  but it’s lazy to assume everything they do turns to gold.

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Yeah I have a feeling on that aswell. However he was top level before his injury so not like he's just declined like Dele Ali Barkley or Lingard, there were mitigating circumstances.

I was actually surprised we didn't go in for him in January when he was linked to Bournemouth as his profile suited what we needed at the time upfront so at least he's gone to Turkey and got his match fitness up.

A move that could go either way, when Ramsey is fit in a couple of weeks he'll be going straight back to the left with hopefully Moreno behind so we should be much stronger on the left and Zaniolo can be eased in off the bench and see what he can do.

Zaniolo doesn't play on the left.  He's always played either as a 10 or wide right.  That's not to say that he couldn't play on the left - but his strength is cutting in and shooting with his left foot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skarroki said:

Okay got that, so I'm just trying to understand how that links to our transfer policy shifting?

I would say we're not taking risks on young talent because there's no need to any more. We can afford not to and we're in a position in the league to attract ready-made.

I would also say Brighton have signed a lot of players this season that are ready-made too and have missed out on people that were fairly sure-fire like Colwill. Pedro record signing, they know what you're getting with Milner and Dahoud and £17mil for a GK in Verbruggen is a big outlay. Not a lot of loans now, transfer strategy definitely evolving. 

Surely it's a bit of a mix - we're  signing young  players (mainly academy level, but also Duran) and established players (but probably leaning more towards  the latter. But a mix is a sensible approach - players for the here and now and some for the future  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

We’re playing the longer game with our academy and buying younger players to develop to supplement that too. That’s a long term strategy and so any recruitment that doesn’t fit with that tends to be short term 1st team quality and do hence the higher expectations of such signings,I’d imagine that those expectations are mirrored by the club too or what’s the point? We have policies thst cover both the long and short term 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

No patience with our fanbase that want ready made first team players

I don't think this is true. I don't think anyone has problems with players being purchased and then loaned out. If we did this with Duran, I don't think be uproar. 

3 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

We’re playing the longer game with our academy and buying younger players to develop to supplement that too. That’s a long term strategy and so any recruitment that doesn’t fit with that tends to be short term 1st team quality and do hence the higher expectations of such signings,I’d imagine that those expectations are mirrored by the club too or what’s the point? We have policies thst cover both the long and short term 

And that is a really refreshing change from the stop gap signings we've  had so much of in the past. Not every signing will work out mind, some lower profile signings will hopefully pleasantly  surprise us

• Like 1

Â