Nicolò Zaniolo

Delphinho123

35 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

There’s plenty of time for him to come good, I get the comparison with Bailey but at least with Bailey he showed what he could be capable of quickly - was it his debut when he came on against Everton and smashed in the third goal? So we saw end product with Bailey, we knew it was there. 
Zaniolo hasn’t had that, he hasn’t scored or assisted yet (I think), he’s been unlucky once or twice with shots hitting the goal frame but he’s also missed a few he should have done much better with.

He seems to slow down our attacks, he isn’t picking the right passes and gets dispossessed too often, add to that he’s greedy in and around goal.

I agree but where I see differences is that Zaniolo is always in the game and I don’t always see that selfishness as a bad thing.  Bailey wasn’t in the game in his early days and when the few times he was he was easily dispossessed.  I agree Zaniolo has a very long way to go and unsure whether he’ll get there but I’ve seen enough flashes to think he will, as Emery will fix Zaniolo’s decision making and end product.  The raw talent is there, just needs releasing imo.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

Love reading threads like this, really takes me back to the overwhelming opinion of Douglas Luiz on here a couple of years back or John McGinn a year ago. 

Douglas was always a clever player though, not quite seeing that with Zaniolo yet. So not quite the same.

He's been heavily involved in one of the best starts to a season we've ever had and although he's had a few games that have passed him by, either through poor decision making or a bit of bad luck. He's also showed flashes of real quality. 

Some players adapt quicker than others but that doesn't mean those that take longer to adapt aren't as good or better than some of those that hit the ground running and then tail off. We've had a right few of those a Villa over the years. Players that arrived and looked brilliant initially only to then turn out to be a let down costing us fortunes, taking up space, not giving a shit, or just turning out to be generally poor. 

If I also look at the current squad in it's entirety I struggle to find a player that hasn't had difficult moments here, or been written off as not good enough other than probably Emi Martinez. 

I think it's obvious Zaniolo is talented, whether he's long term suitable in our squad remains too be seen. Either way I think he needs to be given the time to settle, work with Emery and see if we can get the best out of him. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

I by no means think I am always right on this stuff but I (and a few others) used to be shouted down by so many when advising people there was something there with DL and they should be patient, and I really feel the same with Zaniolo. He’s been inches away from multiple goals and assists. I’m confident it’ll come.

Yeah I’m with you.  I expect more struggling in the near future with him but I see enough to think there will be a key player in there for us if we are patient.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

I by no means think I am always right on this stuff but I (and a few others) used to be shouted down by so many when advising people there was something there with DL and they should be patient, and I really feel the same with Zaniolo. He’s been inches away from multiple goals and assists. I’m confident it’ll come.

Fair enough mate. Believe me, I was the same with DL, could tell he'd likely become top class.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tom13 said:

Fair enough mate. Believe me, I was the same with DL, could tell he'd likely become top class.

I agree, the pedigree was there from the start.. But, many thought he wasn't good enough, not strong enough, too slow, too laid back. Even when Kamara came in many proclaimed DL as not as good. Even though they have different qualities. 

I still feel that he is having to play slightly out of position, due to injuries. Different to where Unai eventually sees him playing most often. At the moment he is playing in the Ramsey/Buendia left midfield/attacking midfielder position. I think he was brought in as competition for Diaby in the centre forward/second striker position. McGinn and Bailey seem to be playing on the right of midfield more. I'm sure he could fill in there regularly too. Unai said he could play a number of positions, I just think he is having to fill in at his weakest realistic position, and having to play far more than we might originally have planned. These things combined have given him a less productive start than he might otherwise have experienced, when settling in to a new league.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Taxahunter said:

He must be really shit, since he has been called up for the Italian squad again 🤔

I trust Emery and Spaletti more than random posters in here

He’s clearly got ability just isn’t doing it for villa at the moment. His performances and more importantly Baileys impact probably justify him being dropped.

Got no problem with Emery trusting him and I expect him to make an impact at some point.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nicho said:

He’s clearly got ability just isn’t doing it for villa at the moment. His performances and more importantly Baileys impact probably justify him being dropped.

Got no problem with Emery trusting him and I expect him to make an impact at some point.

It's nice to have manager that wants to play players into form and not freeze them out like that last turd

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Taxahunter said:

He must be really shit, since he has been called up for the Italian squad again 🤔

I trust Emery and Spaletti more than random posters in here

And Olsen is Sweden's number one what's your point?

Playing for your national team doesn't automatically make you a good player.

I have no clue about this generation of italian footballers but if Zaniolo is one of their better attacking players that doesn't sound promising.

Edited by Pinebro
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

I have no clue about this generation of italian footballers but if Zaniolo is one of their better attacking players that doesn't sound promising.

I'd argue you haven't much a clue about any generation of footballer, Italian or otherwise. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Pinebro said:

Yeah Sweden and Italy are the same thing when it comes to football teams, sure. Top example. 

17 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Another positive of Zaniolo getting called up is an indication the Italian FA don’t see his betting scandal as being an issue.

Hopefully it gets finalised soon though and he can put it behind him and concentrate on playing. 

All signs are good on that at the moment, likely fine for unlicensed betting site but no sporting punishments 

• Like 1

Â