Aston Villa of old

Follyfoot

22 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Villa 5 Liverpool 1  1976 

Villa 7 Liverpool 2  2020 

No footage exists of that night as ATV decided to cover the Derby game, which finished 0-0. We were on the old bank Witton with the Liverpool supporters and there was a woman behind us shouting, come on Kevin et cetera and my mum turned round and said “I don’t think that’s gonna do any good tonight dear” as the 4th went in, through Clemence’s legs if I remember

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Villa 5 Liverpool 1  1976 

Villa 7 Liverpool 2  2020 

That 76,77 side when they got a head of steam up were virtually unplayable.

• Like 1

This game has a relatively prominent place in my mind.

I assume Dion Dublin and Benito Carbone had a wager earlier in the day over who would score the best goal.

Meanwhile, Alan Wright was thinking “Lads, you both get to hold my beer.”

• Like 4

Remind those half time relays round the side of the pitch? That was happening a fair bit when I started going int the late 90s and got the crowd involved.

Some great games in the late 90s, coming back from 2 down at home to Arsenal was a brilliant afternoon if we forget the near tragedy at half time with Santa falling off the Trinity roof.

16 hours ago, Captain_Townsend said:

The Bells Are Ringing sounds great,  here, from 11.30 on:

That team is why I chose Villa...Saunders, Atkinson, Parker (underrated), Staunton, and of course, McGrath...Dailey too although he didn't play in that match...

But wow...watching that, you realize how much the game has changed.

• Like 3

On 05/08/2023 at 13:02, maqroll said:

The only Villa match I've ever seen in person.

Speaking of "of old"...wow, someone actually got booked for encroaching on a free kick (0:23). I wish the refs would start doing that again.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TomC said:

Speaking of "of old"...wow, someone actually got booked for encroaching on a free kick (0:23). I wish the refs would start doing that again.

In this particular case it looked like a dodgy call to me.

Doing the Laurel and Hardy theme tune as the police came out to line up in front of the stands towards the end of game. 

Cages in front of The Holte End. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Blue three wheeler cars on the side of the pitch

Don't remember that at Villa Park but I saw an old match recently at I think Stamford Bridge where that was going on. 

Edited by sidcow

Â