Aston Villa of old

Follyfoot

On 05/08/2023 at 08:52, Follyfoot said:

This might shock a few, not being able to beat the Blues

1976-77 or maybe 78. I was still at school and **** hated them words removed having the bragging rights.

• Like 1

On 05/08/2023 at 09:13, Brumstopdogs said:

Great thread and depends what you class as old.

One of the memories I have is away at QPR in the league in 1993 the year we came runners up and there must have been about 10K+ Villa that day.

We lost the game but I remember thinking WOW what support we had and definitely outnumbered the home fans...

Remember this game well.....early morning piss-up and resulting beer fight in the Springbok by the ground, on the pitch after the game with Villa fans hanging off the cross bar until it inevitably snapped. Then driving home through London, coming across 2 Villa lads getting chased up the road by a mixture of a few QPR fans and a few cockbey reds....at which point our minibus made an abrupt stop and emptied out, to explain the errors of their ways...

• Like 1

Dalian Atkinson....24 years apart, two very different memories

31 years ago a goal

7 years ago illegally killed !!!!

RIP HEITS

Edited by imavillan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, John said:

A couple more to add to those old Villa memories:

Brian Little's first Villa goal against Torquay, in front of the Holte End. 

Andy Gray climbing onto the railings behind the goal after scoring. 

The semi-final at Anderlecht (before, during and after:cheers:).

Coaches and Football Specials to away games. 

Releasing our balloons before games. 

Singing the original words to Hi Ho Silver Lining... 

A couple more pre and post match Villa pubs (The Turks Head, Ben Johnson, Cross Keys & Sack of Potatoes): 

the old pubs of brum Renovation plans for former King Edward Inn - Business Live image.jpeg.06d31d1629e04c22c66293a5c90a6153.jpeg image.jpeg.06bc1956cb077d92b89d6dcf5c6c6550.jpeg

The balloons at the Baseball Ground 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

@John cross keys pub ??? That would be Erdo Pete's boozer mate....proppa blues pub mate....skip O'Connor used to tot in it with Pete's son, mate i'mtellinya.

No, The Cross Keys Erdington. 110% Villa back in the days that it was still open. :flag:

6 minutes ago, John said:

No, The Cross Keys Erdington. 110% Villa back in the days that it was still open. :flag:

Yes, sorry.... my joke fell flat there.

Mate 😉

On 05/08/2023 at 17:30, Follyfoot said:

image.jpeg.2d6e03abe81062fd445a2d15ad3ad310.jpeg

this was my usual pre-match haunt 90s and early 00s  - I remember cov storming it once and turning it over and most people getting a kicking - they left me and my mate alone cos wed ordered food, so we just watched the carnage ensue while we stuffed some wings down us !

im a bit younger than a lot, born in 79 but my first game was around 85, Paul Rideout scored in a 3-0 win against Wednesday.. not really hooked at that point, but went to a few games, as well as the Saddlers with family, but really got a bit more interested late 80s, then was engrossed at the opening game at bescot in 1990.... and thats when Villa become my club properly.......... 

Seen us runners up a couple times, seen some top top players, Cowans, Platt, McGrath, Yorke, Staunton, Townsend, Houghton, Deano and Dalian, Milosevic, Barry, Merson etc.... seen a couple cups, and a few Wembley appearances - it aint been that bad

Over recent years, i've lost my passion, not just for Villa, but football in general........ I watch/go to all Villa games, and i might watch MOTD if I can be arsed....... apart from that I watch **** all football last 10 years............. overhyped massively, turnover of managers and players is way too high - and it seems now the fanbases arent that interested in Saturdays result, but more interested in transfers and net spend.......... i watch the games now, and enjoy them but I dont get too high with the wins and too low with the lows - makes for a more enjoyable watch for me ............... 

bring back only knowing about transfers and rumours when you picked up the E&S or watched central news.......... i always remember going to see a band with my dad in a pub in walsall wood, and Phil Mepham was in there and he told me we were signing Julian Joachim the next day....... i was schools first ITK before they were cool the next day

Proper football

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

mentioned the werewolf, was they not one and the same? 

No idea. I was always The Right Side and presumed Tarzan was on The Left Side at the back. All I ever knew about him was the Tarzanning. Not sure I remember the werewolfing. 

4 hours ago, choffer said:

No idea. I was always The Right Side and presumed Tarzan was on The Left Side at the back. All I ever knew about him was the Tarzanning. Not sure I remember the werewolfing. 

Right side right side, give us a song right side give us a song

shhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Edited by Follyfoot

Â