Irreverentad's Fantasy Premier League 2023/24

BOF

16 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i like that  team but dougie is an interesting choice. i actually think the villa player to keep an eye on is mcginn. tielmans coming in, plus ramsey being injured, i can see him playing much more of his 'scotland' role for us

Because of the Gerrard start to last season, Villa midfielders represent good value imo. Dougie in particular for the set pieces. Hadn’t thought about a change of role for McGinn, that’s definitely worth keeping an eye on pre-season

28 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

How is player pricing and templates looking this year?

It got too boring/frustrating for me last season based on how they messed that up.

The pricing is still too cheap and following the template will probably be the best option 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

How is player pricing and templates looking this year?

It got too boring/frustrating for me last season based on how they messed that up.

many (including me) think there will be less of a template this year. lots of midfield options between 6.5-9m. haaland 14m so means you can have max 2 premiums really. i think it will be a more exciting season personally

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The pricing is still too cheap and following the template will probably be the best option 

29 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

many (including me) think there will be less of a template this year. lots of midfield options between 6.5-9m. haaland 14m so means you can have max 2 premiums really. i think it will be a more exciting season personally

These feel slightly contradictory. 

spacer.png

Can I get a third opinion as a decider?

so from last year I gather most players were essentially using twitter each week to get advice ,selection  tips etc 

basically taking the fun out of it all  , or am I just a grumpy git because I came near the bottom ? 

anyhows , I shall be going with gut feel and stupidity regardless for next season ..see you in the relegation dogfight 

7 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

so from last year I gather most players were essentially using twitter each week to get advice ,selection  tips etc 

basically taking the fun out of it all  , or am I just a grumpy git because I came near the bottom ? 

Using Twitter still requires skill. But it does give you a good idea of the best tactics and templates.

I'm much more annoyed with the FPL app spoonfeeding people advice and transfers. It's like they're trying to make the game as easy as possible.

23 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Using Twitter still requires skill. But it does give you a good idea of the best tactics and templates.

I'm much more annoyed with the FPL app spoonfeeding people advice and transfers. It's like they're trying to make the game as easy as possible.

where is that on the FPL app? just had a look and can't see anything like that really

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

where is that on the FPL app? just had a look and can't see anything like that really

On the “latest” tab there are two articles about the best FPL picks. 

During the season they’re constantly sending notifications about deadlines, double Gameweeks, blank Gameweeks, tactics etc

It used to be that you had to put some work in to find that sort of info and plan ahead. It meant in the big doubles and blanks you could make huge progress because people weren’t prepared. 

Now everyone knows exactly when everything is happening and how to approach it

• Like 1

15 hours ago, tomav84 said:

Turn notifications on, you won't be able to avoid them.

A lot of their tips are cretinous though

• Like 1

Just had a play around with a draft that includes salah, haaland and taa and whilst I don't hate it, it does show how difficult it is to include all 3. I don't think I'll be doing this and might have to risk not having taa...

Probably foolishly, but I've not even considered Salah so far. Pre-season might change that, but at the moment I think he can be easily covered, given the price difference.

Current draft has been experimenting without Trent. That's another huge saving that I'm tempted to use for the opening month. You can go so much further in midfield without him, and having someone like Stones/Shaw/Saliba in for him might cover him, given Liverpool's opening fixtures.

There's a lot riding on the pre-season games :)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, BOF said:

Probably foolishly, but I've not even considered Salah so far. Pre-season might change that, but at the moment I think he can be easily covered, given the price difference.

Current draft has been experimenting without Trent. That's another huge saving that I'm tempted to use for the opening month. You can go so much further in midfield without him, and having someone like Stones/Shaw/Saliba in for him might cover him, given Liverpool's opening fixtures.

There's a lot riding on the pre-season games :)

I'm not sure how it finished last season, but VVD has finished incredibly close to TAA and RObbo on points on a very regular basis. But is largely overlooked

42 minutes ago, Farlz said:

Why is Gabby Jesus a template pick again? 

I understand he's a guarantee regarding minutes but he really wasn't that great last season. I'm not feeling him. 

he's in my current draft with the view to switching to nkunku (if he looks OK) from GW4. it's the fact that arsenal have 3 really good opening fixtures

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Farlz said:

Why is Gabby Jesus a template pick again? 

I understand he's a guarantee regarding minutes but he really wasn't that great last season. I'm not feeling him. 

I think it's because the template is currently 3-5-2 so people are packing midfield as there are loads of options but that reduces the money available for a second striker. It's also because the current template also includes TAA at the back, which again limits the spending upfront.

If Kane's future was decided, then that may also massively change the thinking.

EDIT: and of course Arsenal's opening fixtures

The problem is, having a stiker at that price point does reduce your transfer options moving forward, something will have to be sacrificed in Midfield.

9 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I still think not having Haaland allows for a better team  ... just not sure I'm brave enough to go without him in my line-up 

It's a huge gamble I'm toying with but like you say..... hell of a brave move

Â