Irreverentad's Fantasy Premier League 2023/24

BOF

All out on 135. Can't complain about that, and temporarily up to OR 28k, although that'll fall after tonight's game and the auto-subs. 36pts off Farlz so it's a big ask to catch that up, but we keep going. I'll wear you down :P 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, a-k said:

I have been absolutely pathetic over the last two months. Slipping down the ranks more than Slippy G.

I think a person's gameplan and decision making process changes quite markedly depending on where they rank. My guess, and it is only a guess, is that you went into 'protect my rank' mode at 6k and avoided the riskier purchases that others took. I was still trying to gain, so I had less pressure on me. And at the other end you have people trying to break into top million who are going off the reservation with their purchases. Obviously it could also all entirely be luck but I don't believe so. I think we do put the blinkers on relative to rank.

EDIT : Actually, from looking at yours closer, I think it boils down to choosing to use the FH in 29. Had you used it this week instead, let's assume you'd have broken the ton. We'll give you a hypothetical 110. That puts you pretty much bang on with me around the 30k. So don't be too hard on yourself. That one decision properly **** you over.

Just look at the weekly overall rank of the person currently sitting 5th in the game. Imagine the pressure they've felt every week. Not sure that would be good for my health :lol:

fe27a44e7f2b0d502f859ba270d85fe1.png

I said after GW29 that using the free hit in that week had been a huge mistake. Not as a dig, it was really really bad luck, but the people that saved their free hit got an absolutely huge advantage from that week being so low scoring.

This week has confirmed that

8 hours ago, BOF said:

I think a person's gameplan and decision making process changes quite markedly depending on where they rank. My guess, and it is only a guess, is that you went into 'protect my rank' mode at 6k and avoided the riskier purchases that others took. I was still trying to gain, so I had less pressure on me. And at the other end you have people trying to break into top million who are going off the reservation with their purchases. Obviously it could also all entirely be luck but I don't believe so. I think we do put the blinkers on relative to rank.

EDIT : Actually, from looking at yours closer, I think it boils down to choosing to use the FH in 29. Had you used it this week instead, let's assume you'd have broken the ton. We'll give you a hypothetical 110. That puts you pretty much bang on with me around the 30k. So don't be too hard on yourself. That one decision properly **** you over.

FH aside, it's been terrible (I would have said the same even if I was at 30k 😁). I would say it was actually a bit of the opposite from what you suggested as I also went aggressive to try and push even further up the table, but maybe also some unlucky decisions (going KDB instead of Foden, Salah being trash, etc.). Still a WC and BB to go, hopefully I can stop the rot

16 minutes ago, Farlz said:

Anyone planning to move on Salah or Haaland? Maybe both?

I feel like I'm going to get one of them out. VVD as well.

100% moving on salah (already done in fact)

no way i'm moving haaland when he's got a double on the horizon and no europe to be rotated for

Posted (edited)

my WC draft so far:

definites:

haaland, watkins, isak, gordon, foden, son, palmer (edit: if fit, obvs), a spurs defender (probably porro), a newcastle defender (probably burn or schar)

probables:

ederson, pickford, another spurs midfielder (probably johnson), dunk

no idea:

the remaining 2 defender spaces.

Edited by tomav84

On 25/04/2024 at 10:25, Stevo985 said:

I said after GW29 that using the free hit in that week had been a huge mistake. Not as a dig, it was really really bad luck, but the people that saved their free hit got an absolutely huge advantage from that week being so low scoring.

This week has confirmed that

The free hit GW34 teams have had the advantage in the end but it can't really be a mistake if it was the right decision before the GW had started, you can't control the results. Very small margins overall with huge variance involved, I played my free hit GW29 because I had about 4 players for it and already had 7 DGW players for GW34, I think it was very team dependent decision for most not because one was a clear better option.

It's a good example of just how much variance plays a part though. Reguilon red card which ruined most the Brentford picks that week and Spurs completely falling apart at Fulham with none of the other main picks even getting any returns at all has to be in the bottom 1-3% of potential point returns, it couldn't get much worse. This GW free hitters were able to gamble on different Arsenal assets like Havertz, White, Odegaard when most have Gabriel/Saliba/Saka nailed all season. Majority of the gamble picks paid off while Haaland was also missing. Everton defenders hauling despite conceding 3xG over the two games and surviving a handful of penalty claims, thinking of that someone should check the VAR guys team for double Everton defence.

I think if you were able to simulate these two GWs again 100 times I doubt you'd get a more polar set of results than the ones we got. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

The free hit GW34 teams have had the advantage in the end but it can't really be a mistake if it was the right decision before the GW had started, you can't control the results. Very small margins overall with huge variance involved, I played my free hit GW29 because I had about 4 players for it and already had 7 DGW players for GW34, I think it was very team dependent decision for most not because one was a clear better option.

It's a good example of just how much variance plays a part though. Reguilon red card which ruined most the Brentford picks that week and Spurs completely falling apart at Fulham with none of the other main picks even getting any returns at all has to be in the bottom 1-3% of potential point returns, it couldn't get much worse. This GW free hitters were able to gamble on different Arsenal assets like Havertz, White, Odegaard when most have Gabriel/Saliba/Saka nailed all season. Majority of the gamble picks paid off while Haaland was also missing. Everton defenders hauling despite conceding 3xG over the two games and surviving a handful of penalty claims, thinking of that someone should check the VAR guys team for double Everton defence.

I think if you were able to simulate these two GWs again 100 times I doubt you'd get a more polar set of results than the ones we got. 

i don't think many could've predicted that palace result either and mateta was one of the best striker options for this week only, but you'd never have him otherwise. stuff like that just massively went against those of us that didn't FH

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

If you’d scored zero in GW29 but saved your free hit then it would have been a better decision than using it. 

There’s no way you could have known that. But that’s how it’s ended up. 

so this is what owning ederson looks like. first time for me. probably the last. another to add to the FPL troll list

Holding off the wildcarders so far in my leagues, could get a bit dodgy on Thursday but so far so good. 

Getting Kai in on my WC a few weeks ago probably one of the better FPL decisions I've ever made. 

41 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

so this is what owning ederson looks like. first time for me. probably the last. another to add to the FPL troll list

The Spiderman pointing at Spiderman template [Source: Reddit]. | Download  Scientific Diagram

Spider-Man Sad Sticker - Sticker Mania

Just now, bickster said:

Where to spend my Salah money :D 

Same. Although I think for me it'll be Gvardiol at the back this week, and then see on the injury front for 37. Maybe Vicario sub keeper for BB. I have the money for a Bruno if the mood strikes.

1 minute ago, BOF said:

Same. Although I think for me it'll be Gvardiol at the back this week, and then see on the injury front for 37. Maybe Vicario sub keeper for BB. I have the money for a Bruno if the mood strikes.

I suspect the only player I can't afford is Salah :D as I currently have £6.6 ITB after Salah to Richarlison last week (which so far has been no gain :D )

See how the midweeks go first I think

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

I suspect the only player I can't afford is Salah :D as I currently have £6.6 ITB after Salah to Richarlison last week (which so far has been no gain :D )

See how the midweeks go first I think

Yeah I've 6.4 ITB. Salah to a captained Gordon who got 10x2, so a nice gain #humblebrag

• Like 1

Â