Future Club Crest & Brand Identity

fightoffyour

8 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Nope

You're coloring two different fabrics (or, a plastic badge and the fabric of a shirt) and trying to get them to match. I'd not assume it into existence.

Especially in a club where there are 14 different variants of claret depending on the product (mug, kit, t-shirt, jacket, phone case) you purchase.

20 minutes ago, 479Villan said:

You're coloring two different fabrics (or, a plastic badge and the fabric of a shirt) and trying to get them to match. I'd not assume it into existence.

Especially in a club where there are 14 different variants of claret depending on the product (mug, kit, t-shirt, jacket, phone case) you purchase.

Sorry I’m on my phone and mid sesh, but I actually meant the claret badge on claret kit part. I strongly disagree, but I’m probably the biggest advocate of claret badge here.

As for matching, you have a point there but if it was an issue I’d put it down to not having a well-defined colour palette/poke manufacturing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, punkymonkey666 said:

20240202_130830.jpg.ddd8c9dfc311488670a4ccae9280fbe8.thumb.jpg.29ae531c09af10b65c2020e5400d91a2.jpg

Honestly, this is fine. Do this one.

Is it my favourite amongst the fan mock-ups? No. Is it perfect? No. Does it match the badge on a T shirt that my wife bought me? Also no.

There will never be one crest that will please everyone. Even the round badge from this season that some are clamouring to now keep has previously been dismissed on here and Twitter as "too similar to Chelsea" and "the lion is facing the wrong way".

Personally I'd get rid of the star as it's a bit small time (obvs we are going to win CL next season, what do we do then? Another rebadge?) and change the colour of the 1874, other than that I think it walks the tightrope between heritage and modern relatively successfully.

Claret badge on a claret shirt regardless of lion colour would look crap. Especially as it will be difficult to match the colours exactly between shirt and crest materials.

Claret lion on blue with no other colours looks a bit dull and boring.

If darker detail is used on the yellow lion, it will still be visible against the blue at smaller sizes. I'm not sure why this version hasn't been trademarked, other than we seem to have some reactive numpties at the club.

Image below is 100 x 100 pixels and bottom image is 50 x 50 pixels. You can still even see the star at those dimensions for those that still want to see it.

3848fd449c7e3ed35a5417e3807dc218be09dda8a8ec39e24b69972d2a63c7f0-instasize.png.39cad065983a5b291e0977262f9f3b28.png

4a05b084394585a7d5111372870b9b977340fc0679eb033d36e0e1a5a2ea07ac-instasize.png.2d7aafade9ad1e948b8b8d7444158b87.png

Yeah, this is it for me. It has the 'benefit' of retaining the feel of the Lerner brand, while addressing all its flaws -- AVFC over Aston Villa, poor colour contrast of the lion, and lack of claret. And as you say it looks good at a small size.

I also like how it majors on the lion by making it such an impressive, intricate element, rather than just a shape. Other than 1874 and the star, which are white so don't really add much visual noise, it's a really straightforward, bold, coherent badge that majors on a single idea rather than being a collection of elements like so many crests.

Claret detailing really is the final touch that takes it from being decent to something I genuinely love. I'd be thrilled with this and honestly if anyone in Heck's office has eyes they should jump on it.

Edited by jayEm
  • Like 4

25 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

Ditch the 1874 and the star, make the name bigger and this would be pretty good.

At the risk of bothering to take my interest further here, there's no way I'd like to see our founding year 'ditched'.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AvonVillain said:

At the risk of bothering to take my interest further here, there's no way I'd like to see our founding year 'ditched'.

Why though? It doesn't mean anything of any importance. It's not like we're the oldest team or anything. It's just a year.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Why though? It doesn't mean anything of any importance. It's not like we're the oldest team or anything. It's just a year.

Agree. Less is usually more with badges. The 1874 looks shoehorned in, in a hard to read white on light blue. 

The funny think is, as far better as this new trademark is than the Lerner badge and the leaked clip art badge, seeing the shirts last night makes you realise it’s still far inferior to the round badge. 

And I don’t even like the round badge that much. 

We’ve been so worn out by this badge nonsense, and our expectations lowered by the awful leaks, that we’ll all just be happy with a badge that isn’t quite as completely shit as the clip art badge 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

It’s exactly what happened with the Lerner badge. A survey goes out to fans and they get a load of things that fans want on the badge. But when you throw all that shit together it looks crap. 

It needs professionals to either assemble those elements correctly or make educated design decisions on what to include and exclude to actually make something look good. 

It feels like we never had that second element on the Lerner badge, and it feels exactly the same this time around 

• Like 2

One thing I've noticed is I never see Villa shirts for sale anywhere outside of Birmingham. Not in Sports Direct, other sports stores. I don't even see Villa knockoffs in the markets. This is where people might say "well its only the CL clubs you see in stores". Not true. I've seen West Ham, Newcastle kits all over.

Also, when I'm abroad, and I'm all over the place, I never see people wearing Villa shirts. The few times I have, it's been British Villa fans because I will always say UTV or whatever to someone if I see them. The point I'm making is our brand is non-existent. We have to improve this massively and this farce with the kits and the badge is torpedoing what attempts we've made, if any, of doing this.

12 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It’s exactly what happened with the Lerner badge. A survey goes out to fans and they get a load of things that fans want on the badge. But when you throw all that shit together it looks crap. 

It needs professionals to either assemble those elements correctly or make educated design decisions on what to include and exclude to actually make something look good. 

It feels like we never had that second element on the Lerner badge, and it feels exactly the same this time around 

I like the idea of supporters having a final sign-off, but surveying supporters about individual elements and then shoehorning in everything they vote for is the worst possible way to design a badge, and everything we've had since Lerner bought the club proves it. 

"Consultation" isn't automatically a good thing. 

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

We’ve been so worn out by this badge nonsense, and our expectations lowered by the awful leaks, that we’ll all just be happy with a badge that isn’t quite as completely shit as the clip art badge 

The Heck brand-guru masterclass. Maybe he is a genius after all 🤔.

23 hours ago, Muller Yogurt Long Sleever said:

Consider it whatever Pantone or shade of blue you like or think is right - the point is to further demonstrate how ridiculous and frustrating the colour use is at present. We have 3 colours to consider (I have no idea why white has been added, and appreciate some people prefer just claret and blue). Whatever the reason is, or ever was to go yellow on blue, is a bad one.

Whatever anyone’s opinion of the overall design of elements (I think it’s crap and unbalanced, would drop the star and 1874, but whatever), there are multiple colour combinations that at least give this thing contrast. 

So please Chris, one more step at least, you can do this… (then we can move on to composition, and maybe promote you from Work Experience to Intern Designer)

colour combos.jpg

Yeah. Too many colours going on in the club's version and gold on blue looks shit. I'm not that keen on the gold anyway, but guess the top left version could work as a one off 150 years logo. The bottom two are probably the best.

12 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

It isn't a race backwards. I absolutely do not understand how our founding year "doesn't mean anything of any importance", or how it could possibly be "just a year". Those statements aren't remotely true.

I personally love to see a timestamp, and I hesitate to use the term, of big brands like Guinness, for example, sat in the logo. For me it brings a weight of heritage that elevates the brand beyond a mere drink, or football club, in our case. Even if the brand is relatively new, I like to see its stake in history when it was born. I don't see this information as trivial or unnecessary in any way, and graphically it can really work as a part of the whole story on offer.

12 hours ago, R.Bear said:

Absolutely this. No-one cares and it does nothing for the brand. It clogs up the badge with unnecessary info which most modern badges rightly avoid.

All that needs to be on the badge, whatever its design is the lion and "Aston Villa".

A universal truth: statements like "No one cares" tend to mean anecdotal "I personally don't care, and I recall my mate saying once he wasn't that fussed either".

2 hours ago, Captain_Townsend said:

We have a good chance of  still having our best season since 1995-96.

I look forward to our players lining up to collect medals in quickly distributed t-shirts with the new crest on the front of them covering the badge on their shirts.

Â