Future Club Crest & Brand Identity

fightoffyour

11 minutes ago, sne said:

Don't think we'll have a vote and don't think we should have a vote about it. Another fan vote would likely lead to some Homer Simpson car looking thing that tries to please everyone or something that peeves half the fans off. The new badge isn't really for us long time fans anyway.

Sorry as it appears to be the Heck/Lerner badge is what we'll roll with.. I fully expect us to be in this exact situation again in a couple years thou as it won't be a badge that sticks around for long. Just like I expect Heck wont. Things off the pitch comes off as shambolic, even more so since the communication from the club is on a need to know basis and us fans/customers don't need to know apparently.

I don't mean a vote on what we'd like, like a consult, I mean a vote on finished options presented as fait accompli. To be honest that's all I've ever wanted. I'm not a designer. Just get a bunch of options and let us pick one. 

I know we have to fulfil marketing shenanigans, but we also need to get something that the fan base can get behind and be proud of. People are saying that it doesn't matter. I'm thinking there is a reason every country on earth has a flag that they rally behind.

Not sure if, for example, a country with a giant turd on their flag would be mega successful internationally.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Does anyone think we'll have a vote on the new v current designs?

Might Wes and Nassef insist we have one if they become aware of the depth of feeling on this? 

I think we know which one would win. And then who would end up with a massive bollocking.

If the owners stepped in, and requested a vote and didn’t back their man then I would believe Heck would walk.  When you are an executive, if you get undermined so publicly then your only option is to resign because of your own integrity. It’s the executive equivalent of a football manager losing the dressing room. I don’t expect our owners to step in.

It’s interesting that the crest hasn’t been announced yet as a couple of sources suggested it was imminent earlier this week.  If it’s not announced by the end of next week then  Heck has either seen sense or the owners have intervened in the background. The potential options re next steps probably are: 

- Launch the crest as planned - This is by far the worst option and they’d be stupid for even entertaining it. The complaint to the FA would escalate and the media would get hold of the story and turn it into fans v the club as there’s nothing else negative to write about the club at the moment.

- Make some quick refinements to the leaked crest that make it more palatable and then give some bullshit reason that the leaked crest was never the final version. This probably appeals to heck the most. 

- Very quickly design some new crests based on the huge volume of fan sentiment that’s been shared online in the last week. You could then run these by the FAB for genuine input before finalizing a choice that you have confidence is going to be received well by the fanbase. 

- Scrap it all and stick with the new crest that was finalised last year. This would be hugely damaging for Heck so doubt it’s a realistic option.

It will be interesting to see what option the club takes and how transparent they are with us about this fiasco because it will tell us all we need to know about how they intend to treat us going forward. I.e as important stakeholders that care about the club’s interests or as mugs.

55 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I feel like I'm betraying you @Jas10 🥹.

I'm just trying to look from all angles though. Lol

Na, it’s all good mate. Gotta have a laugh sometimes, otherwise I might cry 😭

It’s not the hugest deal is it but we’re all entitled to have an opinion, moan, rant, whatever… isn’t that what this place is for? 😆

It’s just a critique, constructive criticism etc. really, and some of us aren’t quite as emotional or worked up as the text we have typed may appear 😂

It’s not good though is it? I’m sure we all expected better…

8 minutes ago, nick76 said:

If the owners stepped in, and requested a vote and didn’t back their man then I would believe Heck would walk.  When you are an executive, if you get undermined so publicly then your only option is to resign because of your own integrity. It’s the executive equivalent of a football manager losing the dressing room. I don’t expect our owners to step in.

Yeah, I would also expect that he'd walk if the owners stepped in, but are we expecting N&W to let this rumble on and commit to it for the next umpteen years when Villa Trust and FAB are kicking off, and there has been almost universal dismay online. 

Can you really adopt a 'they'll come around' approach' when only 12% (reddit final vote) of people actually like it, and 69% actively hate it?

Call me insecure, but if 88% of people tell me I'm doing something wrong, I generally think the problem is me, not them.

• Like 2

What did they expect?

1. In 2022 they announced we would start the process of designing a new crest for a new era. Away from one that represents a dismal era from 2007.

2. Nov 2022 fans voted overwhelmingly for a new round badge 

3. 2023 rumours of a big launch for the final game of the season. A time when the feel good factor under Emery was in full flight. A bright new era ahead

4. Heck appointed all goes quiet on the new badge. Brighton game sees no launch and no mention.

5. New kits announced. Heck says we will keep two badges for thr 23/24 season and monitor reaction to the round badge. Round badge ends up appearing nowhere except for the kits as Heck appears to suppress all existence of the round badge.

6. Heck announces another new badge will be rolled out. Despite results of the 2022 survey expressing clear preference for a round badge, he suggests it will be a shield.

7. Jan 2024 new, 'new badge' leeks. It is basically the same as the 2007 badge with a couple of new elements and retains the hates aspects of the 2007 badge.

Seriously,  a 10 year old kid could predict this would go down badly. How do well paid execs make such blunders?

Edited by Captain_Townsend
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Heck is basically gaslighting us. Same with the new north stand. 

Guess that something at least for those who wanted the gas lamp design badge. Not quite what they asked for but still. Silver lining and all that.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Yeah, I would also expect that he'd walk if the owners stepped in, but are we expecting N&W to let this rumble on and commit to it for the next umpteen years when Villa Trust and FAB are kicking off, and there has been almost universal dismay online. 

Can you really adopt a 'they'll come around' approach' when only 12% (reddit final vote) of people actually like it, and 69% actively hate it?

Call me insecure, but if 88% of people tell me I'm doing something wrong, I generally think the problem is me, not them.

It’s quite a pickle that they are in.  

We’ve heard that Heck is tunnelled vision in his ideas from his last job.  This can be a positive and a negative for an executive.  You want an executive that has conviction of their decisions, a leader that will take the masses with them.  The problem is when that is against the masses wishes and they (executive) don’t have the ability to adjust.  

It’ll be interesting to see if Heck can adjust, otherwise the owners have a decision to make.  If he does adjust we may never know if that was Heck’s decision or the owners because good owners (like we have) will let Heck take the credit especially after the embarrassment of this public tiff with the fans especially as it’s made the national press.

The disappointment of the final product is secondary to the disappointment in the way that the club have handled it since Heck came in like a wrecking ball.

It's quite eye-opening if you go back and read the initial announcement of a review into the crest back in June 2022. Compare the scope and ambition of the review, as well as with the general tone of collaboration, transparency, and excitement for the possibility of transformation.

At this moment which has seen so much positive change and progress, it’s the right time for us to evolve how we look and feel as a whole club - pulling together all the great parts of what we do on and off the pitch.

We can all work together to show the very best of Aston Villa.

https://www.avfc.co.uk/news/2022/june/24/aston-villa-club-crest-review/

It's a far cry from the current vibe of "I know best, go **** yourselves".

• Like 2

Correct. It was a big ballsy thing for a new CEO (or whatever his title is, Global Affairs President or whatever) but ultimately it was the wrong decision and to be honest a sackable one.

Our brand has been undermined in a major way at a time when we are flying on the pitch.

Edited by Captain_Townsend

46 minutes ago, villan95 said:

So frustrating that a few simple tweaks would make the leaked one so much better. I'd be happy with any of these 3.

This is more or less what I was doing yesterday. But I wasn't bothered about the text position. TBH these are all nicer. I think they're decent. Any of these would be good.

And sure I prefer the text on top.

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, villan95 said:

So frustrating that a few simple tweaks would make the leaked one so much better. I'd be happy with any of these 3.

From 'hate' to 'like' with a simple re-arrangement and the new, better-defined lion. This is how to make it work, and the fact that others have suggested and shown essentially the same re-arrangement says a lot. It is now balanced and looks professional.

(Saying that, the star still feels odd where it is, and since someone on here mentioned Scooby-Doo chasing a star I always get that sound effect in my head. Stick it above the crest or drop it.)

Although it's not where I'd have personally gone, given where we are, I'd be happy with this. There's always going to be a bad taste left in the mouth because of what's gone down with the process - that ship has sailed - but it's more likely to die down over time with something that feels balanced. This could last for years IMHO, whereas if the version on the table goes ahead as is, it'll continue to broadly get hammered and force another run at it.

There you go Mr.Heck, it's been sorted, bit of common sense compromise? 

• Like 1

I still think that new lion is shite. 

Do people really like it?

It's imbalanced, the mane looks like a Michael Bolton haircut from the early 90s and for some reason it's hanging back and making the lion look like its falling backwards.

It actually looks like the designers from Dragon Rouge retracted the lion's head slightly in order specifically to make room for the star between head and forepaw.

In summary, it's crap. It might have more detail but so do any of the dozens of lion templates on Canva. Doesn't make it good.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, villan95 said:

It’s absolutely insane how much better it looks with the words at the top.

• Like 3

Â