Premier League 2 - U21 Development League 2023/2024

BOF

36 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

You g0t the Lottery numbers ?

To be fair, 2 of these lads are going to play a lot of top level football and in my opinion should be getting it now. Give Rogers Zaniolo's minutes, Kellyman Rogers minutes and Jimoh Kellyman's minutes.

Blackburn's aggressive tactics made it an entertaining game but I'm not sure it was the best strategy as it left them wide open at the back against our four star forwards. In fairness they could have scored more (as could we).

Motm - Kellyman. Blackburn kicking him throughout the first half made no difference. He was a class apart and looks too good for this level. Surely a loan is in the pipeline for next season (or even a few games for the first team?)

Rowe was excellent once again as were the centre backs. Considering the open nature of the game I can only think of one clear cut chance for Blackburn and that was late on in the second half. Wilson looks like he will score every time he has a chance and Afoka has too much physicality and nous against inexperienced U21 players now.

Blackburn hit the bar twice and the post once, they also had numerous chances in and around the box that they really should have scored. That said, Villa were worthy winners and as happens quite often at this level the game gets very stretched and both teams give up lots of chances.

Kellyman outstanding despite being kicked to pieces. He was on the half turn driving at the defence every time, absolutely ready for the 1st team. Jimoh classy, ran out of steam second half but he and Kellyman were taking the piss in the 1st half.

Bogarde at the back a bit too strong and a bit too wise, had a cigar on most of the evening, classy.

Special mention to Todd Alcock who goes about his work every week and rarely puts a foot wrong, not easy as a centre mid. Allowed Borland (best I've seen him play) and Kellyman to do their thing, rarely gives the ball away and gets through some yards. He won't make it at Villa, but would be great to see him looking after the ball down the leagues in future.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Blackburn victory stats updated. Shout out to our own little De Bruyne, Todd Alcock, with a hattrick of assists.

Including the cups, we've actually put a very decent run together at the moment. Only one defeat in ten games since Crawley beat us at the start of November in the Papa John's trophy.  That defeat was the entertaining 5-3 loss to top of the table with a perfect record Spurs at the end of January.

c9fb5a4a3ea004cb3978f9246a3134de.png

• Like 2

Triston Rowe deserves mention, I thought he was excellent again last night, is very good both defensively and going forward, his driving runs from deep are brilliant, and as Daley rhapsodizes, he usually finds a teammate at the end of them, I don't think I've seen him have a poor or even just a quiet game this season, of course he will make the occasional mistake in games, but overall he's seemingly always very good, based on what I've seen probably our most consistent performer at U21 level

• Like 1

1 hour ago, useless said:

Triston Rowe deserves mention, I thought he was excellent again last night, is very good both defensively and going forward, his driving runs from deep are brilliant, and as Daley rhapsodizes, he usually finds a teammate at the end of them, I don't think I've seen him have a poor or even just a quiet game this season, of course he will make the occasional mistake in games, but overall he's seemingly always very good, based on what I've seen probably our most consistent performer at U21 level

I have thought he is really coming on as well. He seems to have got quicker recently and has explosive acceleration. Wonder if he will end up at rb or at cb. Seems very much a Marc Guehi Kyle Walker player

3 hours ago, useless said:

......and he loves a bottle of blackcurrant cordial.

• Like 1

I think there's been a balance arrive in the team, it seems from the outside suddenly, but I'm sure it's as a result of a lot of hard work on the training ground. The back four look balanced, Borland and Alcock in the middle seem to know what they're about and the trio of Jimoh, Kellyman and Young behind Moore are exciting to watch - there are a couple of players that come in and out of that, but we look like we've found a system, a shape and a rhythm that works for us. We look a good side at the moment.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, BOF said:

Including the cups, we've actually put a very decent run together at the moment. Only one defeat in ten games since Crawley beat us at the start of November in the Papa John's trophy.  That defeat was the entertaining 5-3 loss to top of the table with a perfect record Spurs at the end of January.

c9fb5a4a3ea004cb3978f9246a3134de.png

Just out of interest for those that watch regularly, are we better now the coach left for Spain ? 

4 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Just out of interest for those that watch regularly, are we better now the coach left for Spain ? 

We've got a new Spaniard in charge who is far less entertaining on the touchline than Idiakez was.

In answer to your question, it is really difficult to tell to be honest based on the ever changing team. The 11 put out on Tuesday was the best version of the u21s that I have seen this season. When you take into account that the entire back 5 was different to games earlier in the season, similarly the front 4.

• Like 2

Â