Premier League 2 - U21 Development League 2023/2024

BOF

Here's an article explaining the new single tier format, for those who missed it.

Premier League 2 to switch to Swiss-style format from next season

PREMIER LEAGUE clubs have voted to bring in a one-tier Swiss-style format for the Under-21s from the start of next season.

There has been a season-long review of Premier League 2 because of concerns about the effectiveness of the games programme in preparing Academy players for the senior game. Currently, Category One clubs are placed in Premier League 2 and placed in two divisions.

FC7CAF9B_FB3B_403E_9CCE_0B46B467EE7B_1_1

SWISS STYLE FORMAT

• 1 x single group containing 25 teams
  • Teams seeded based on multi-year performance
  • Fixtures drawn from 5 pots based on seedings
  • A 21-game week scenario would involve teams playing each club in their own pot plus 4/5 teams in all other pots, either home or away (would equate to 20 regular season games)
  • Results generate a combined table that determines play-off positions
  • UEFA Champions League will introduce this format in 2024/25

The change was voted through by shareholders at the Premier League Annual General Meeting last week.

A number of proposals were considered before clubs agreed to introduce the ‘Swiss model’, which will see all 25 Category One Academies field an U21 team in the same league next season, with promotion and relegation between the current two-tier system scrapped.

The ‘Swiss model’ is based on the tournament used in chess and will be used in the UEFA Champions League from 2024/25.

In PL2, the 25 teams will be seeded into five pots based on their historical performance in the competition over the preceding three years, meaning each team will play 20 matches in the regular season (the same number as in PL2 Division Two in 2022/23 but six fewer than in PL2 Division One).

Fixtures for the 2023/24 campaign are due to be released in July.

More in the link above ...

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, useless said:

We've been drawn in group with Charlton, Crawley Town, and Sutton United in EFL Trophy

And this from the previous thread.

• Like 1

Triston Rowe, is younger than the others, hence he hasn't signed his scholarship yet and him sometimes still playing for the U16s the season just gone, I think his birthday might be in January, but born 2007 rather than 2006.

3 minutes ago, useless said:

Triston Rowe, is younger than the others, hence he hasn't signed his scholarship yet and him sometimes still playing for the U16s the season just gone, I think his birthday might be in January, but born 2007 rather than 2006.

Transfermarkt now has him as 18/05/06 which is younger than the others.

That will be wrong as well, if he was born before September 2006, then he would have been named amonst the first year scholars last season. I think some sites probably getting fooled by the fact that he's played way above his age group, was already playing for 18s as an U15, and played for the 21s as an U16.

7 minutes ago, useless said:

That will be wrong as well, if he was born before September 2006, then he would have been named amonst the first year scholars last season. I think some sites probably getting fooled by the fact that he's played way above his age group, was already playing for 18s as an U15, and played for the 21s as an U16.

Yep you're no doubt right. But I have to go with something until the OS reports it, and right now transfermarkt are the most reliable site I can find with anything for him on it.

Looking at the players available I think next season's team is probably going tov be ery young, which will be good for their development, but will probably mean inconsistent results at best.

Presuming the likes of Ramsey, Borgarde, Kesler, Iroegbunam and so on go out on loan or are with our first team squad, then the most senior U21s are going to be the likes of Ealing, Hart, Ted Rowe, and Afoka, and some of those despite being older aren't very experienced at this level and might not even be first choice.

Can see a lot of scholarship age players playing a big part,

Hopefully Burchall can get fit and play a part too.

Edited by useless

1 hour ago, Kingman said:

We've been drawn in the Southern section of this seasons EFL Trophy

Group B: Charlton Athletic, Crawley Town, Sutton United, Aston Villa U21.

Thank you. It's posted further up.

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/06/2023 at 14:48, useless said:

I wonder whether he will be in for any of our younger players (loan) or maybe some of the first team squad players whose future probably isn't at Villa.

• 2 weeks later...

We're playing Solihull this Wednesday at their ground and have a behind closed doors game at Bodymoor against Cardiff U21s a week tomorrow.

I haven't seen anything but we might have a game this weekend, as only found the above fixtures by chance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, useless said:

I haven't seen anything but we might have a game this weekend, as only found the above fixtures by chance.

I wouldn't have thought an U21 game as I'd guess an awful lot of the better ones will be at Walsall with only half of the first team squad available.

• Like 1

We also play Hereford at their ground on Tuesday July 25th 19:30 kick-off and a week later play away to Rushall Olympic 19:45 kick-off, that one isn't specified as an U21 game but I presume that's what it is.

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

I’m going to watch against Solihull tomorrow, anyone been there before? Where can I park?

The ground is in a weird spot, on a dual carriageway next to JLR. Most people park in the local estates. I've parked on Old Damson Lane before and walked up. If you want a proper car park then park at the airport, but it is further to walk.

• Thanks 1

In the past 2 years the fixtures have been announced on July 26th (2021) and July 27th (2022). So hopefully we'll get something on that front next week :)

• Like 2

Â