Monchi - President of Football Operations

duke313

3 hours ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Tro, you are the very last person on here that I would expect to be anti-establishmentarian - normally always very respectful of others opinions, even when they don't match your own. Show some decency, man! Have you forgotten your manners?

I have not got a clue, what you are talking about. I have always sought to respect other peoples opinions and that includes Monchi.

I come on here to talk football.....thats it.....but when a top football man we have just captured, is challenged, for something that is subjective, and in his own country.....I felt it necessary to say, stick to football.

My manners and decency have been reserved for our new Director as well as everyone else.......I simply don't see what he's done, as offensive as you do......sorry if we disagree.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, villabromsgrove said:

Before people condemn Monchi, take a bit of time to research the yearly celebration that concludes Christmas in Spain. It's called the "Cabalgata de los Reyes Magos", and is a much looked forward to celebration especially for the children.

The three Kings that are supposed to have visited the baby Jesus in the stable, make a procession through the streets given out copious amounts of sweets to the children. These Kings wear their historical robes and as "Balthasar" was a black man he is always portrayed with a black face. It is considered an honour to be asked to represent one of the Kings, and Spaniards would be dismayed to think that this is considered offensive by "far away football fans" who seem to have very little idea about their culture.

Monchi is a superb new 'signing' and this is what we should be discussing on this thread in my opinion. 

Absolutely spot on.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Don’t think I’ve ever been as excited about and looking forward to a transfer window as much as this one, with Monchi and Unai working in tandem to bring some proper quality and talent into this team and squad. They are going to elevate us!

We finally have “proper football people” in charge, most of all a truly elite manager who can identify and utilise players to close to, if not fully, their maximum potential.

I have no idea who we’re going to sign but I’m so looking forward to who we bring in and how we’re going to shape up as a formidable and competitive team going into the forthcoming season

I can’t wait! 

UTV!

Monchi will have no impact on this transfer window. He'll be massively important in the January and Summer windows next year.

28 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

Before people condemn Monchi, take a bit of time to research the yearly celebration that concludes Christmas in Spain. It's called the "Cabalgata de los Reyes Magos", and is a much looked forward to celebration especially for the children.

The three Kings that are supposed to have visited the baby Jesus in the stable, make a procession through the streets given out copious amounts of sweets to the children. These Kings wear their historical robes and as "Balthasar" was a black man he is always portrayed with a black face. It is considered an honour to be asked to represent one of the Kings, and Spaniards would be dismayed to think that this is considered offensive by "far away football fans" who seem to have very little idea about their culture.

Monchi is a superb new 'signing' and this is what we should be discussing on this thread in my opinion. 

I like the Monchi video where he says some pretty strong anti racist statements. Living in Madrid, as far as I'm aware the actual blacking up in the three kings Christmas parade has stopped now. Maybe it was an honour though when it was more common. And it was common until very recently, and people didn't even bat an eye. It probably does still happen elsewhere in smaller places than Madrid. The thing is there's no historic minstrel culture or history of that kind of thing here like we have in the USA or the UK. It is different. 

Going back to the video, he didn't have to say that. He didn't have to put his face and name to standing up to racism. His words in this case really do seem enough to dispel this conversation and put his role as Balzazar down to a bit of a quirk of Spanish culture, which is different and has always had differences to our own. That's not to say things aren't changing in Spain though. I have a lot of stories of genuine racism from my time here, and anyone can see there's quite a visible problem in stadiums and among football fans—and I could tell some tales about undoubtedly racist successful business people too—but, yeah, the video...Monchi seems to have put his name explicitly behind being part of the solution and not the problem.

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Monchi will have no impact on this transfer window. He'll be massively important in the January and Summer windows next year.

“No impact”? I bet he will be, while less impact than future windows he’ll be involved even now in the background before he officially starts and him and Unai will have had discussions.  To say he’ll have no impact would be very unlikely true.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

“No impact”? I bet he will be, while less impact than future windows he’ll be involved even now in the background before he officially starts and him and Unai will have had discussions.  To say he’ll have no impact would be very unlikely true.

Well we're in motion on our targets. We can't just add in targets randomly over a conversation. If you watch how Monchi operates with is Monchi 13 series. He can't have impact other than simply advising.

Also would be illegal for him to do that until July 

3 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Well we're in motion on our targets. We can't just add in targets randomly over a conversation. If you watch how Monchi operates with is Monchi 13 series. He can't have impact other than simply advising.

The Spanish transfer window opens on July 3rd. Other European windows open on July 1st. So there's no "rule breaking" if we're targeting foreign players.

22 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Yeah, there's no way he isn't suggesting player's that he thinks are obtainable and that we should be looking at.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Markc says it better than me.  I get the work permit thing but if you think he’s not had any discussion with Emery over coffee or whatever then I have a bridge you might me interested in buying as the old saying goes.

3 minutes ago, markc said:

Yeah, there's no way he isn't suggesting player's that he thinks are obtainable and that we should be looking at.

Plus if he starts in July there is still plenty of the window to have an impact, it’s only two weeks away and the transfer window has yet to really get into any kind of  motion yet.

I wonder if we can go for any of the targets he had lined up for Sevilla prior to him joining or if it will be stipulated in his exit deal from them that we can't.

Will be interesting.

Edited by AshVilla

11 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

I wonder if we can go for any of the targets he had lined up for Sevilla prior to him joining or if it will be stipulated in his exit deal from them that we can't.

Will be interesting.

That could be difficult to enforce as it would be difficult to prove Villa weren't already interested in the same player(s) prior to Monchi switching to us.

1 hour ago, villabromsgrove said:

I bet Monchi and Unai are working away in virtual meetings even before he's got his work permit. It's going to be such an exciting summer!

They're probably in his famous Basque Bunker

Â