Youri Tielemans

thejoker

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He’ll be fine. Some fans just didn’t want us to sign him so will never be convinced by him. 

What about the ones who thought it was a decent signing but have been really disappointed with how naff he's been.

I thought he'd be fine but get less convinced every time he plays.

“Since the start he [Emery] told me that it’s a process because it’s a different playing style than what I’m used to, especially from last season and the season before,” he explains. “His plan is very clear with the midfielders coming inside and keeping the ball even more so than what I was used to. For him, it’s a totally normal process. He’s not worried at all and he makes me feel like a very important player even though I’m not starting every game. He’s very supportive and helps every player.”

Totally expected, but still nice to read.

Unai Emery is the best.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Has to start vs AZ for me

Start him away from home in Europe? Not sure he has the right character to play well in a hostile atmosphere at the moment. It's a game we needed to at least draw if we want to progress in the competition and when he and/or Dendoncker have started games we look very ropey. I'd put him in for Luton at home the weekend after instead. 

Just now, PerryBarrPet said:

Yes, and particularly those who believe much of the drivel churned out by “sports” journalists.

Yes, the simple football fan with the "if I read something, it's true" Not knowing that negative emotions generate more engagement than positive ones. So social media and media sites need time and eyes to monetize you. Get some bs stories about players and you'll get the fans. Stories about Watkins wanting to go to Arsenal are to get Villa fans clicks, as Watkins leaving is that negative emotion. 

4 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Yes, the simple football fan with the "if I read something, it's true" Not knowing that negative emotions generate more engagement than positive ones. So social media and media sites need time and eyes to monetize you. Get some bs stories about players and you'll get the fans. Stories about Watkins wanting to go to Arsenal are to get Villa fans clicks, as Watkins leaving is that negative emotion. 

Spot on. I think we should always engage our critical faculties whenever we look at any “social media”.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m sure they will be happy to acknowledge an improvement if and when it comes.

Of course. Because that's what sensible people do. They adjust opinion as evidence unfolds in front of their eyes.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

Start him away from home in Europe? Not sure he has the right character to play well in a hostile atmosphere at the moment. It's a game we needed to at least draw if we want to progress in the competition and when he and/or Dendoncker have started games we look very ropey. I'd put him in for Luton at home the weekend after instead. 

Yeah. Its not going to more hostile than premier league games its same shit. Different noise.

But yeah rotation is key

14 hours ago, Farlz said:

Generally a good interview but I don't think enough is said in there about how good our central midfield is. Kamara and Luiz are two of the best midfielders in the league, I genuinely believe that, and so Tielemans will have to play really, really well to become first choice. So far he hasn't done enough.

I was excited when he arrived as his first 2-3 seasons at Leicester he was brilliant and I thought last season was a one-off playing in a struggling team. I still think he can make it here but he has to do better when he is given the chance. He still looks a bit overweight to me so needs to get fitter but one thing that has surprised me is how cheaply he has lost possession or played a pass straight to the opposition. A player with his experience and technical ability shouldn't be doing that.

I'd give him his first start in the league against Luton at home. That is his chance to dominate the midfield against a team likely to go down. If he can't produce in that game then question marks over him will continue.

Had a feeling all the talk of him wanting out was pony. I suppose the players themselves get used to such nonsense. It's fair to say, he hasn't really found his real capability yet, but he isn't the first player to come here and find things difficult to begin with. The majority of us know there's a decent player in there somewhere, hopefully Emery will be patient enough to realise that, but, most of all, it's for Youri himself to find that self - belief and confidence that he will most definitely need for him to impose his game in that Villa midfield. 

• Like 2

I think Luton will be a good game to bring him in from the start. I imagine tomorrow will be the usual midfield and we really need to play it v Alkmaar aswell given we made a mess of our first euro away match and this is going to be our toughest in the group so we simply can't take any chances.

Luton 3 days later gives us a chance to freshen things up.

I actually got the Times today and they've gone of the big "I want to start every game" headline but will read the full article ahead of the game just to get the context of what he's saying.

One good bit of advice though Youri, if you want to be starting games for us it might help if you show a bit more quality v likes of Everton in the league cup instead of costing us goals on the night.

Chambers cost us goals in the europa so he dosen't start league games, it's a pretty simple formula we have under UE for the fringe/squad players.

Edit: Pretty sure Luiz is on 4 yellows in prem so pretty likely he'll get one v West Ham to stop one of their counters and so there's then the space for Tielemans to play as an 8 for us in premier league.

Edited by VillaChris

3 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Like he did with Cash, who had lost his place to Young for good chunks of last season

The only time Cash didn't start ahead of Young when fit last season was when he came back from the World cup. He warmed the bench for a few games but started every important game in the last four months.

Bemuses me this narrative that Cash has been a bench warmer for chunks under UE. For those Liverpool and Spurs games right after the World cup Martinez was sitting next to him.

• Like 1

Â