Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

1 minute ago, Ceemo said:

That last game at Palace is looking tougher and tougher. They have been fantastic in the past 10 days.

Bournemouth hadn't been too bad before playing us. They even beat Wolves tonight at their Gaff. 

2 minutes ago, Ceemo said:

That last game at Palace is looking tougher and tougher. They have been fantastic in the past 10 days.

Yes on the other hand the Liverpool game looks easier now 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, mrchnry said:

Is 6th the lowest we can finish now? 

Mathematically yes.

but Manure would need to average 2.6 PPG just to match our current point total of 66 points.

However, due to the GD, they would need 67 to overtake us, so thats actually 2.8 PPG to reach 67 points.

i think its almost certain that Manure cant get 2.8 PPG for their final 5 games, thats 14 points, and would actually need 5 wins, as you cant not win them all and average 2.8ppg, and thats assuming we dont pick up even 1 more point before the end of the season.

i would say 5th is the lowest we can finish.

hopefully i havent set Manure up for a 5 game winning run and we collapse to 4 losses......as thats really the only way they can overtake us.

Edited by MaVilla

3 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Mathematically yes.

but Manure would need to average 2.6 PPG just to match our current point total of 66 points.

However, due to the GD, they would need 67 to overtake us, so thats actually 2.8 PPG to reach 67 points.

i think its almost certain that Manure cant get 2.8 PPG for their final 5 games, thats 14 points, and would actually need 5 wins, as you cant not win them all and average 2.8ppg, and thats assuming we dont pick up even 1 more point before the end of the season.

i would say 5th is the lowest we can finish.

hopefully i havent set Manure up for a 5 game winning run and we collapse to 4 losses......as thats really the only way they can overtake us.

Tbh it wouldn't matter 6th or 5th would be UEL anyway at that point 

3 minutes ago, Alakagom said:

Tbh it wouldn't matter 6th or 5th would be UEL anyway at that point 

tbf ye it would, so i guess that is pointless.

i guess the only difference then would be more money for finishing 5th versus 6th.

Just now, Ceemo said:

With that defeat for Newcastle, that means Europa League football is confirmed as a minimum.

Once again a brilliant achievement.

thats a good point!

it is a huge achievement in itself (Europa League), in a way its just that we have done so well in the last 18 months we are all hoping for CL, but if you step back, Europa league is a massive, massive achievement in of itself, its just our....expectations?.....have peaked a bit.

to think where we were in Oct/Nov 2022 compared to now, its like an alternate universe.

• Like 3

Mad that last August we were all going crazy for conference league and now we're looking at europa league as a disappointing season. Love it 

Edited by mrchnry
  • Like 3

Reading this thread tonight, Palace are now world beaters, The Harlem Globetrotters of Football. Chelsea and Liverpool now easy games For Villa and Spurs. Anything else I missed?

Edited by Pongo Waring
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

Reading this thread tonight, Palace are now world beaters, The Harlem Globetrotters of Football. Chelsea and Liverpool now easy games For Villa and Spurs. Anything else I missed?

About sums it up. Come back tomorrow after Brighton beat City and we’ll be worried about them too.

• Haha 2

Liverpool v spurs game is at anfield, think that makes a big differences as Kloop penultimate last home game and crowd be wanting to win that especially after reverse fixture and the wrong VAR call. As for our game, they have nothing to play for now so defo won’t be as up for it as before. Result also lifts arsenal for the weekend! 

2 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

About sums it up. Come back tomorrow after Brighton beat City and we’ll be worried about them too.

Said it in the "other football" thread, but Newcastle was talked about by sum to rip off 8 straight wins to end the year to close the gap. Well, that lasted for a while.

5 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Spurs will be thinking the same unfortunately.

Little different as that's still at Anfield where their fans will demand they're on it far more than 2-3k tucked away in a corner at a hostile away ground.

Spurs will also approach that a bit differently to playing them at home as we will.

Need to get our set pieces right on the night as seemed like they didn't win a single one against Tarkowski and Calvert Lewin and eventually cost them the second goal.

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

thats a good point!

it is a huge achievement in itself (Europa League), in a way its just that we have done so well in the last 18 months we are all hoping for CL, but if you step back, Europa league is a massive, massive achievement in of itself, its just our....expectations?.....have peaked a bit.

to think where we were in Oct/Nov 2022 compared to now, its like an alternate universe.

You look at Liverpool in that they finished last season outside the top 4 and will qualify for the Champions League with ease this season and yet they will feel at the moment that the season has been a failure.

It's the same for us in that there won't be any celebrations about qualifying for the Europa League, but we should acknowledge and appreciate every accolade that this club earns and boy have they earned it this season.

• Like 1