Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

2 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

B 100%

Not having CL revenue next season will be a big setback in terms of the project.

This is so boring but correct :(

35 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Call me mad. But I have a feeling Liverpool are going to go all out attack and get back in the tie.

hello....

spacer.png

Edited by imavillan

14 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

God what's happened to my quote there...?!

It's an individual match thing. A win is the same for us as it is for City. Big old calculation hanging around the middle.

Currently it's...

GER 17.214 - 16.750 ENG

If Arsenal and City both win tomorrow it'll be...

GER 17.214 - 18.125 ENG

City and Arsenal playing each other means you can project quite far ahead.

Is that 18.125 just after tomorrow, or taking into account the guaranteed points from the semi final? Just asking as you mentioned projecting far ahead

4 minutes ago, jayEm said:

Is that 18.125 just after tomorrow, or taking into account the guaranteed points from the semi final? Just asking as you mentioned projecting far ahead

If they both win. We can add on...

• 4 points for them both winning, 2 each
  • 2 points for them both appearing in SF
  • 4 points because there are 4 points to be handed out during the two SF matches. Doesn't matter the results, England get 4 points 
  • 1 point for one team being in the final 

So two wins is as good as 11 points being plonked through the coefficient wood chipper.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

A...

Any other answer is mental imo!

In twenty years from now are we all going to meet up and talk about that season we finished 4th.

Getting 4th doesn't guarantee anything, and if it's the only reason we hang on to a few players then what happens the next season if we don't finish top 4 and they leave anyway.

Nothing in the future is guaranteed! If I die in June I'd rather die thinking of the trophy we have won that how we finished 4th...

Trophy. All. Day. Long.

Fwiw we are definitely finishing 4th so it's a hypothetical.

Look at Newcastle this season.  They had some good games that will be remembered by their fan base. But look at west ham last season. Winning something. A whole different feeling. Fans loved it.

I am trophy before money all day long .

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

If they both win. We can add on...

• 4 points for them both winning, 2 each
  • 2 points for them both appearing in SF
  • 4 points because there are 4 points to be handed out during the two SF matches. Doesn't matter the results, England get 4 points 
  • 1 point for one team being in the final 

So two wins is as good as 11 points being plonked through the coefficient wood chipper.

2 semi games can end in draws can they not? Not sure how the penalty game would count, but that would give 3 points the ceiling. 

Just now, Alakagom said:

2 semi games can end in draws can they not? Not sure how the penalty game would count, but that would give 3 points the ceiling. 

Draw is 1 each.

Win is 2 for winner, 0 for loser.

Pens/ET don't add anything.

4 points to be handed out across both matches regardless of any results.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Quick Poll. A or B.

a) Win ECL and finish 5th with no CL
b) Knocked out of ECL and finish 4th 

It literally has to be B. There’s a lot riding on being in the champions league which will mean a whole load of progression and commercial benefits. 

Winning a trophy would be lovely and all but as a business, we need to be playing on the big stage. 

Edited by Tayls
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Draw is 1 each.

Win is 2 for winner, 0 for loser.

Pens/ET don't add anything.

4 points to be handed out across both matches regardless of any results.

Thanks, again, even in worst case scenario City going out wouldn't be the end of our hopes either, Arsenal beating Bayern is crucial however and it all hinges on this tie really. 

Just now, Tayls said:

It literally has to be B. There’s a lot riding on being in the champions league which will mean a whole load of progression and commercial benefits. 

Winning a trophy would be lovely and all but as a business, we need to be playing on the big stage. 

No. Says who? Chris Heck?

As if fans have to make the business choice.

Trophy is a trophy.

2 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Are you a customer, or a fan?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Alakagom said:

Thanks, again, even in worst case scenario City going out wouldn't be the end of our hopes either, Arsenal beating Bayern is crucial however and it all hinges on this tie really. 

Once SFs are set it'll be easier to map out possibilities and certainties.

All this % chance bollocks is coming at it wrong. I don't know where people are taking the odds from. The only place I'd ever look would be betting exchanges, even then it's not worth looking at % chances of anything when there's 100+ matches to be played.

Like those shit win predictors you now see on lots of sport coverage. Oh wow, team A was 67% sure to win, but now they've conceded and they only have 28% chance. Duh.

Football is a game of fine margins that's really hard to predict. We have deflected goals, players being sent off in the fifth minute and awful officials.

• Like 1

Are we less likely to finish 4th now? Confused as we're in a far better position now than 7 days ago and really all the pressure is on Spurs now to find a couple of wins from some very difficult fixtures historically for them.

5 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Are you a customer, or a fan?

I just want to see us turn a profit… 

No but seriously… we NEED champs league. 

Edited by Tayls