Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

Mental weekend. Did not expect that. 

It's easy for me to say and obviously I expect nothing less from this team of players but they need to dig in like never before now. We're so close. We've hit massive highs this weekend, can't afford a big drop off next Sunday. 

Best Villa season I've ever seen no matter what. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

How are we still playing European games and 1 game ahead of everyone else? Have they just had prolonged rest periods?

Spurs-Chelsea got cancelled when the league cup final was on. We also played the weekend when FA cup QFs were on.

Spurs actually have a 15 day break now. Kind of feel that will be an issue for them as you'd want to get that defeat yesterday out of their system as soon as possible.

We have a chance now to be 9 points clear of them by winning our next two home games. I really couldn't see them reeling us in from that far back even if they would have games in hand.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Thursday night our season was over.

Who could it be when we actually won the first leg?!

I can sort of understand the OTT posts after games we throw away like Man. United at home and Brentford as those were weekends where we handed the initiative to Spurs and they took advantage but all it's taken is one great weekend and now we're back as big favourites to get 4th based on league position and respective run ins.

I think the main suspects will pipe down now but make no mistake they'll be back on here next season whining all the time if we have a slow start in the league and not good enough for CL if we don't win many games in that.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

How are we still playing European games and 1 game ahead of everyone else? Have they just had prolonged rest periods?

A mixture of other sides being in Europe too and domestic cups.  If you go deep in the EFL Cup or FA Cup or are due to play a side who have gone deep in those competitions (Spurs game in hand on us is against Chelsea who they should have played on EFL Cup final weekend) then finding a gap in the calendar to play it can be tricky.  

Just now, Mantis said:

If Arsenal and City win this week, where does that leave us coefficient-wise? Because while 4th is far from sorted, 5th all but is now.

Atletico Madrid is the big result needed as Dortmund are dangerous floaters.

I think the relatively simple formula though is we, Man. City, Arsenal (looks less likely after how they plateaued second half) and Atletico Madrid all progress and 5th is as good as secure for CL.

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

Two more wins and a draw should be enough for 4th. Spurs will get 8 to 10 points I think 

We have to keep focus. I'm worried our next two games are at home where we aren't very good anymore. 

Bournemouth Chelsea Brighton and Palace. There are two wins there for us I hope 

🙄

Just now, CVByrne said:

Two more wins and a draw should be enough for 4th. Spurs will get 8 to 10 points I think 

We have to keep focus. I'm worried our next two games are at home where we aren't very good anymore. 

We have still taken 7 points from the last 12 available at VP. Certainly haven't hit the heights of the first half of the season at VP I'd agree on massively but we are still getting points from the games we need to (Wolves, Brentford, Forest).

There's at least another away win in us as Palace much more likely to be safe by the final day.

34 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

You don’t miss any league games for European competitions because they’re always midweek. But domestic cups are usually the weekend so games get postponed

7 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Do you ever not worry?

Spurs fans on their forum, almost every single one of them, celebrating our win today as it stops Arsenal in the title race.

Very SHA of them to care more about hating their rivals than they do about their own success. Bizarre behaviour.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Mantis said:

If Arsenal and City win this week, where does that leave us coefficient-wise? Because while 4th is far from sorted, 5th all but is now.

There is going to one helluva mighty u-turn on here if 4th is looking likely. All of a sudden, we’re gonna want Co-efficient FC to start losing a few.. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I actually hope England doesn't get the extra place now. I'd take that gamble as I think after this weekend, we will get 4th.

F*** Spurs getting CL as well. They can play on Thursdays.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

Spurs fans on their forum, almost every single one of them, celebrating our win today as it stops Arsenal in the title race.

Very SHA of them to care more about hating their rivals than they do about their own success. Bizarre behaviour.

My Spurs supporting mate said the same thing. But he also said if they don’t finish 4th it’s because they wernt good enough and need to look at themselves rather than others.

Which I think is fair. 

Im not going to lie. I couldn’t support Arsenal against Bayern. I can’t stand them.

• Like 2

Obviously been a very good weekend for our prospects. 

But much like how I try not to be “the sky is falling” when we draw or lose, I’m not going to be allowing myself to think we’re basically there off the back of a great win.

Think a few of us were bracing ourselves for a positive Spurs result and a not so positive Villa one this weekend. That the opposite has happened is fantastic and should act as a reminder not to take anything for granted.

I now make us favourites for 4th. Just. Mainly because I think Spurs have 3 matches where they start as second favourites while we now just have 1 which may prove to be a dead game for the opposition.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

I think in defence of them they've qualified enough for CL in the last 15 years for it not to feel as monumental as it would be for us. And Arsenal haven't won the league for two decades now so they want that drought to continue as long as possible.

Also still likely 5th will come into play in the next week.

If the players don’t have the confidence to win every game from now until end of the season then they should kindly inform Don Unai they’re not made of the right stuff. 

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I think in defence of them they've qualified enough for CL in the last 15 years for it not to feel as monumental as it would be for us. And Arsenal haven't won the league for two decades now so they want that drought to continue as long as possible.

Also still likely 5th will come into play in the next week.

I could never put a rival clubs demise ahead of Villa's success. No matter what the circumstances. Ever.

• Like 3