Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

I suppose you could say the same for Bayern given their result. They could either be awful or fight for their lives given its their last chance of a trophy 

4 hours ago, wishywashy said:

Essentially a toss up between us and Spurs for 4th - seems about right.

I’d give Spurs the slight edge based on their remaining fixture list. They have Forest, Burnley, and Sheffield United left, whereas our lowest placed remaining opposition is Brentford. Us and Spurs both will face the top 3 sides on the run in, but they get two of those at home (City & Arsenal), while we only get one (Liverpool).

That being said, based on the table’s prediction, only 10 points from our last 8 matches would represent a massive drop in form. We are a mere sliver under 2 ppg so far (59 from 30) and 10 points in 8 is only averaging 1.25 ppg. When framed that way, I don’t see how we only end up on 69 points. Should be aiming to crack 70 at a minimum.

I think both us and spurs will clear 70. Fourth will go to the one who picks up an unexpected win v the top three and avoids slipping up in the games that are the bankers. Let’s say we get 4 wins and a draw out of our remaining 8. That leaves us on 72. 

Spurs would then need 5 wins and a draw which would be targeted from forest, Newcastle, west ham, burnley and Sheffield and a draw against the bigger teams they face. Hopefully if they slip up v west ham or Newcastle that will put a lot of pressure on them to beat arsenal, Chelsea or man city. 

We really need to target 5 wins out of the 8 games and avoid a spanking from Man city to put max pressure on spurs. 

The five targets for us would be Brentford, Bournemouth, Chelsea, Brighton and Palace on the final day. No easy feat with the European games thrown in. 

• Like 1

I think we can get a result at home to Liverpool but I hope we're not in a position that we need to. 

There's a very real chance that the importance of the league isn't there in the next few weeks and we can fully commit to Europe. It would be incredible to win that and get CL in one season. 

8 minutes ago, Lochheads twin said:

Do yesterday’s results mean United are back in the title race? 🍺

Only in some VTers minds. Goldbridge has given up on 5th place

4 hours ago, DakotaVilla said:

I think both us and spurs will clear 70. Fourth will go to the one who picks up an unexpected win v the top three and avoids slipping up in the games that are the bankers. Let’s say we get 4 wins and a draw out of our remaining 8. That leaves us on 72. 

Spurs would then need 5 wins and a draw which would be targeted from forest, Newcastle, west ham, burnley and Sheffield and a draw against the bigger teams they face. Hopefully if they slip up v west ham or Newcastle that will put a lot of pressure on them to beat arsenal, Chelsea or man city. 

We really need to target 5 wins out of the 8 games and avoid a spanking from Man city to put max pressure on spurs. 

The five targets for us would be Brentford, Bournemouth, Chelsea, Brighton and Palace on the final day. No easy feat with the European games thrown in. 

I agree Dakota.

i think Spurs have the edge. As well as the fixtures, when you look at their team sheet and bench from the weekend, they are virtually at full strength. Allied to fewer matches probably I think things are in their favour.

i have not given up on 4th but its going to be tough. Let’s hope England can get the 5 place nailed down soon and we can start to focus resources on the League & UCL.

April is going to be a crazy month for our nerves!😬 

12 hours ago, jayEm said:

I had the same thought. I’m hoping they just cancelled each other out.

We need them to do well in the CL though..

12 hours ago, omariqy said:

After today's match I don't fancy either of Arsenal or Man City in the UCL. 

I disagree. Arsenal just showed they can go away to a very dangerous team and lock the whole game down.

Very boring yes but a tactical masterclass from Arteta and very disciplined from the players. They’ll be looking to do exactly the same v Bayern away. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MNVillan said:

Essentially a toss up between us and Spurs for 4th - seems about right.

I’d give Spurs the slight edge based on their remaining fixture list. They have Forest, Burnley, and Sheffield United left, whereas our lowest placed remaining opposition is Brentford. Us and Spurs both will face the top 3 sides on the run in, but they get two of those at home (City & Arsenal), while we only get one (Liverpool).

That being said, based on the table’s prediction, only 10 points from our last 8 matches would represent a massive drop in form. We are a mere sliver under 2 ppg so far (59 from 30) and 10 points in 8 is only averaging 1.25 ppg. When framed that way, I don’t see how we only end up on 69 points. Should be aiming to crack 70 at a minimum.

They're assuming we'll lose to the top 3 but maintain the 2ppg from the other games

55 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Only in some VTers minds. Goldbridge has given up on 5th place

To be honest they're effectively 8 behind with the game in hand to Sheffield. All we have to do is lose our games to the big three and they could be right on our arse. That point for Brentford was big

• Haha 4

Just now, VillaJ100 said:

To be honest they're effectively 8 behind with the game in hand to Sheffield. All we have to do is lose our games to the big three and they could be right on our arse. That point for Brentford was big

As they've shown for most of this season, they will drop a clanger or two 

13 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Aw gummon this is just satire now

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Aw gummon this is just satire now

I think its more just an inferiority complex some people have, despite all the stats and the eye test they are still 'big bad man utd' to some

Man Utd next 3 games are Chelsea (a), Liverpool (h) and Bournemouth (a)

If they make up 6 points on us in that run then I might be worried. They've also got Arsenal and Brighton left.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wishywashy said:

It's playing out exactly as it looked like it would back in January, with us nowehere near the title race but battling Spurs for 4th and 5th. 

I expected us to finish 5th but within 15 points of the top and to clear 70 points. This projection is a bit less than I hoped points wise so hopefully we can add a couple more points somewhere.

I can't see Man City coming 2nd though so there's definitely wiggle room in that table.

Edited by GlobalVillan

Just now, omariqy said:

Man Utd next 3 games are Chelsea (a), Liverpool (h) and Bournemouth (a)

If they make up 6 points on us in that run then I might be worried. They've also got Arsenal and Brighton left.

And Newcastle to rearrange from FA Cup Semifinal weekend.

Chelsea and Liverpool are this week 3 days apart too. (Thur/Sun)