Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

6 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I keep hearing this 2PPG line pedalled out as if we should all be super confident we’re going to finish in the top 5 because of it. 

We’ve been woeful for 2 months and we’re being torn apart by injuries. I’m happy some of you think we’re going to finish well because of what’s happened before, but it’s wishful thinking. We’re all over the place at the minute. 

Konsa and Pau will be back by start of March at latest. Digne in the squad tomorrow so really the only two major players we'll be missing for last two months will be Mings and Buendia and we knew that in August.

I think we're just conceding too much to history here and likes of Gregory, MON and Bruce who just wouldn't rotate much or tweak things and so we stayed in ruts for longer due to doing the same things over and over.

This is where Emery proves he's different level to any manager we've had since the 90s. Things aren't great currently but we're still in a great position with good points leads over teams no one would've been confident at all of finishing above in August (Man. United, Newcastle and Brighton).

We don't need to win that many games to finish 5th or even 4th. 6 wins will pretty much get us 5th still (if we don't lose tomorrow) and seven could well get 4th still so not like we need amazing form.

We have actually won two of our last four prem matches.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Yet we’re still averaging two points per game so far this season in spite of our poor recent form. It’s going to get harder because we are in uncharted territory but it’s more likely that we’ll turn the form around than we won’t. Have some faith. Negativity is really bad for you.

It’s realism rather than negativity. I don’t see where the next win is coming from quite frankly. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

It’s realism rather than negativity. I don’t see where the next win is coming from quite frankly. 

When we play Forest in two weeks at VP you'd genuinely have them as favourites?

Fulham and Luton away will be much harder than when we played both at VP but again play to a good standard and we should be getting at least four points from those two.

2 hours ago, Rich_H said:

1.13ppg would be quite a collapse, really hoping we don’t see such bad results in the run in especially with players coming back from injury

i agree it would be a collapse.

i know its a small cross section, but our last 6 games in the PL, we have averaged 1.33 PPG, so basically for the last 25% of this season in the PL, we are averaging 1.33 PPG.

i get that its not realistic to cover just the last 6 games, as in the last 48 PL games we have averaged 1.98 PPG.

1.33 for the last 6, isnt good form tho.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 2

Just now, AvonVillain said:

Explain this please!!?

Relegation battles are grim when you don't win for months and a rival pulls out a shock result that leaves you deep in the mire and potentially about to cost 100s of millions.

Top end of the league we are at least winning plenty of games up to last few weeks. Missing out on CL would be a huge blow, there's no denying but we could still win a trophy and get consolation of europa league. Again many would've settled for that in August although it would be seen as a disappointment given where we've been for most of this season.

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

I have to admit I’m struggling to see how we will win tomorrow however id love to see some posts from around this time last year when we lost 3 in a row. Bet it was the same fans writing our season off.   

There were a few saying we'd be in a relegation battle. In the end we finished about 25 points clear of Leicester.

Only issue there is in the Leicester and Arsenal games we played very well and any level headed fan could see things were close to clicking.

The Newcastle and Chelsea performances have been that poor at both ends it's hard to feel the same confidence we can quickly click back into a consistent winning machine.

We just need a good performance tomorrow even if we only draw the game. Positive from the first minute (without leaving huge space on the counter) and not taking endless touches when we get into the penalty area. Get some shots in early that result in saves and set pieces and we can build from there.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Yeah I know it was loads better when we had Bruce

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

There were a few saying we'd be in a relegation battle. In the end we finished about 25 points clear of Leicester.

Only issue there is in the Leicester and Arsenal games we played very well and any level headed fan could see things were close to clicking.

The Newcastle and Chelsea performances have been that poor at both ends it's hard to feel the same confidence we can quickly click back into a consistent winning machine.

We just need a good performance tomorrow even if we only draw the game. Positive from the first minute (without leaving huge space on the counter) and not taking endless touches when we get into the penalty area. Get some shots in early that result in saves and set pieces and we can build from there.

Fair but how about start of the season when we got smashed by Newcastle and Liverpool with Mings out for the season. I personally thought our season was over. So far under Emery we’ve bounced back from set backs. We can do it again.

edit: let’s not forget how we destroyed Sheffield United too. If we were that bad we would have struggled in that game too.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Relegation battles are grim when you don't win for months and a rival pulls out a shock result that leaves you deep in the mire and potentially about to cost 100s of millions.

Top end of the league we are at least winning plenty of games up to last few weeks. Missing out on CL would be a huge blow, there's no denying but we could still win a trophy and get consolation of europa league. Again many would've settled for that in August although it would be seen as a disappointment given where we've been for most of this season.

..... I was kidding. But in truth, I never 'enjoy' watching Villa. Unless, as against Sheffield United, we're 0-5 up with no chance of any kind of comeback.

26 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

We won 5-0 a week ago and you can’t see where the next win is coming from?

Maybe Luton March 2nd?

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

I think people are putting too much stock into the idea that finishing 4th is suddenly going to transform us into being a member of the European elite, but modern football doesn’t work that way unfortunately.

Finishing 4th doesn’t actually mean anything. 

You get nothing for 4th. In all likelihood we could well finish 5th or lower the season after and nothing materially changes. It’s not like the club would go out and spend loads on a bunch of big money signings that need champions league income season after season to be viable. That would just be reckless.

Winning a trophy (like the FA Cup we just went out of!) would be a far more important achievement but a lot of our fans don’t seem to see it that way, which I think is a shame. 

Missing out on a trophy and the chance of actually winning something is a much bigger loss than missing out on finishing 4th or 3rd or 5th or whatever. 

Talk to fans of clubs like Arsenal or Man United etc and they will tell you they remember the seasons they actually won a cup. They don’t care about the seasons they finished 3rd in the league. 

Let’s hope we can go all the way in the Conference League and make it a season to truly remember. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

I think people are putting too much stock into the idea that finishing 4th is suddenly going to transform us into being a member of the European elite, but modern football doesn’t work that way unfortunately.

Finishing 4th doesn’t actually mean anything. 

You get nothing for 4th. In all likelihood we could well finish 5th or lower the season after and nothing materially changes. It’s not like the club would go out and spend loads on a bunch of big money signings that need champions league income season after season to be viable. That would just be reckless.

Winning a trophy (like the FA Cup we just went out of!) would be a far more important achievement but a lot of our fans don’t seem to see it that way, which I think is a shame. 

Missing out on a trophy and the chance of actually winning something is a much bigger loss than missing out on finishing 4th or 3rd or 5th or whatever. 

Talk to fans of clubs like Arsenal or Man United etc and they will tell you they remember the seasons they actually won a cup. They don’t care about the seasons they finished 3rd in the league. 

Let’s hope we can go all the way in the Conference League and make it a season to truly remember. 

I mean pretty demonstrably false on the whole not finishing in the UCL. The amount of money earned from placing in the UCL can fund extra transfers. 

Good point on the trophy and I’m sure everyone would love a cup run but placing into the UCL has immense insinuations for the club seeing as how we haven’t been in this version of the competition. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

I mean pretty demonstrably false on the whole not finishing in the UCL. The amount of money earned from placing in the UCL can fund extra transfers. 

Good point on the trophy and I’m sure everyone would love a cup run but placing into the UCL has immense insinuations for the club seeing as how we haven’t been in this version of the competition. 

It really doesn’t though. Look at Leicester, look at Newcastle. Finishing 4th doesn’t transform your club. If anything it is an extra burden around your neck for the next season. 

The big 6 are the big 6 not because of the champions league. They have much more spending power because they were the top clubs when the Premier League became a global brand and all the global fans and sponsors went to them.

Chelsea and Spurs have not been in the champions league for a while but they will be pulling in far more money than us regardless of whether we finish 3rd, 4th, 5th or even if we happened to win the league. 

3 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Honestly it's lucky we're already over the 40 point mark otherwise I'd be seriously concerned about us going down. We've just been so poor this season. It's all so dreadful.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3