Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

10 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Bit of a shame it's us v Spurs for 4th and it looks like they're bringing in Werner, Gallagher and Dragusin.

Three first teamers!

It'll be such an achievement if we hold them off.

They’re all decent enough squad signings, but none of those 3 get into Spurs strongest XI imo.

With them still to come to VP I’m still confident that we can finish ahead of them this season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

Huh? Is that recency bias because they beat Fulham 1-0 at home? They are awful

They’re a bit of a train wreck because of their consistency and transfer policy but they are ahead of us in xG, npxg and expected goal difference. Thats mostly because they are laughably inefficient in front of goal with no one in that squad capable of finishing consistently.

They have a worse defense than us but with no European schedule, I would keep an eye out on them despite the gap between us. 

Im not as worried as about the other clubs but Unai name checks the same ones when talking about UCL competition because of some of these underlying numbers. 

4 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

I love your gushing posts about Spurs. Werner on separate videos has been called a banter signing and a stocking filler 

As usual, I don't understand what you're talking about at all. Mania.

If you're watching YouTubers to take opinions from, no wonder you're so extreme and reactionary.

27 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

As usual, I don't understand what you're talking about at all. Mania.

If you're watching YouTubers to take opinions from, no wonder you're so extreme and reactionary.

One was The Athletic. You're banter free and resorting to personal attacks all the time like a ****

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

One was The Athletic. You're banter free and resorting to personal attacks all the time like a ****

Another aggressive post. Don't see the need? Calma.

Try some mindfulness videos instead of football banter.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Another aggressive post. Don't see the need? Calma.

Try some mindfulness videos instead of football banter.

Mate if you reply to posts with mania, call people narcissists etc and then say calm down you're just a ****. You know exactly what you're doing

24 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Hey, both of you chill....

It's not worth it, Up the Villa remember? 

Chill here  :flag:

Big game later. Three hard earned points hopefully!

• Like 1

Do we want to have a big gap from top 5 to rest and then put all our eggs in the extra CL place basket? or do we want to finish top 4 outright and have United win later? Tough one

3 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Do we want to have a big gap from top 5 to rest and then put all our eggs in the extra CL place basket? or do we want to finish top 4 outright and have United win later? Tough one

Top 4 outright 

But as I said here or elsewhere I can see it coming down to us needing man city or Liverpool to win their European trophy and us having to cheer them words removed on 

9 hours ago, Woody1000 said:

They’re all decent enough squad signings, but none of those 3 get into Spurs strongest XI imo.

That misses the point enitirely. 

It's about squad depth and those 3 would all be fantastic players to have in a squad fighting for a CL place. Especially when they have no European football distractions like we and others around them do.

Our squad depth, with the likes of Olsen, Duran, Zaniolo, Ramsey etc is what will cost us 4th in my opinion.

Still fancy us for 5th but I'd love us to have signed any of those 3 players as they are all better than what we have on our bench.

7 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Top 4 outright 

But as I said here or elsewhere I can see it coming down to us needing man city or Liverpool to win their European trophy and us having to cheer them words removed on 

There is  76% chance of England getting a 5th spot currently. 

It's far more likely that it will be done and dusted way before the respective finals so we can be confident of that CL place. Just need to get 5th!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

That misses the point enitirely. 

It's about squad depth and those 3 would all be fantastic players to have in a squad fighting for a CL place. Especially when they have no European football distractions like we and others around them do.

Our squad depth, with the likes of Olsen, Duran, Zaniolo, Ramsey etc is what will cost us 4th in my opinion.

Still fancy us for 5th but I'd love us to have signed any of those 3 players as they are all better than what we have on our bench.

Ramsey? 😂 If you’re genuinely telling me that you’d take Gallagher over Ramsey then I don’t even know what to tell you.

12 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

Ramsey? 😂 If you’re genuinely telling me that you’d take Gallagher over Ramsey then I don’t even know what to tell you.

You don't need to tell me anything mate, I'm fine.

Ramsey has been poor since he came back from his injury and Gallagher has played well for Chelsea and one of the few players to actually come out of that club with any credit.

Gallagher was also excellent at Palace for a whole season, whilst Ramsey has, for me, been incredibly overrated by a lot of our fans on the basis of a (granted) brilliant half season or so.

So yes, I would absolutely take Gallagher over Ramsey (especially on current form) as a bench option.

Edited by GlobalVillan
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, GlobalVillan said:

You don't need to tell me anything mate, I'm fine.

You’re right, it would clearly be a complete waste of my time and energy.

Just now, Woody1000 said:

You’re right, it would clearly be a complete waste of my time and energy.

Wow. Precious aren't we?

It's a forum where people express their opinions. Some will be different to yours.

Sorry that's too much for you to deal with.

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Gallaghers numbers are really impressive this season. I don’t think Spurs will sign him in Jan.

Yeah he is a real talent. And a full England international who went to the world cup. They don't come on the market easily.

Edited by GlobalVillan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GlobalVillan said:

This is our squad minus Zaniolo that got 2nd most points in 2023 4 points more than Liverpool and we've added Torres Diaby Zaniolo Tielemans in that period and 2 have made significant impact and Diaby has chipped in with 4 goals and 4 assists and Zaniolo rescued a point recently. 7 games to make it to Conference final and some FA Cup games thrown in if we beat Chelsea. I don't think that's too taxing

• Like 1

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

This is our squad minus Zaniolo that got 2nd most points in 2023 4 points more than Liverpool and we've added Torres Diaby Zaniolo Tielemans in that period and 2 have made significant impact and Diaby has chipped in with 4 goals and 4 assists and Zaniolo rescued a point recently. 7 games to make it to Conference final and some FA Cup games thrown in if we beat Chelsea. I don't think that's too taxing

Getting 2nd most points during the course of a calendar year is different to getting second most points during a season because the pressure of failure can increase fatigue on players.