Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

12 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Fully entitled to his opinion but I'm happy to let the pundits keep harping on about the other sides and for us to continue doing what we're doing under the radar.

Now that we're in the top 4 places if you compare our side man for man with the other teams we'll be competing with for 4th/5th (Newcastle, Man U, Brighton, Spurs) we're every bit as good if not better than all of those sides.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

We ground out a result which we wouldn’t have done before Emery but Spurs were by far the better team imo. It was a frustrating game to watch.

This is true, and no doubt we'll be learning from it, but at the end of the game three points got added to our tally and none got added to Spurs'. I'm happy for them to have the 'moral victory' or whatever if we keep coming away with three points. 

• Like 1

United have 10 players out with injuries.

Know people don't want to hear it but their a problem. Done really well given the circumstances.

Edited by Pinebro

1 minute ago, Pinebro said:

United have 10 players out with injuries.

Know people don't want to hear it but their a problem. Done really well given the circumstances.

They've lost to every decent team they faced and have scraped by in most of their wins. Dressing room also seems to be fractured. This one is bubbling beneath the surface and will blow soon. I'm glad for this false sense of security to continue at least until they play us.

35 minutes ago, colhint said:

I think we need to up our goal difference. Were the lowest in the top 4. I can't see any of them a 4 goal defeat.

I think our GD is pretty good. It's 13 better than United's! 5 better than Spurs, 8 better than Brighton's. Granted Newcastle's is slightly better but that's skewed by their 8-0 at Sheff Utd.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dubliner said:

Fully entitled to his opinion but I'm happy to let the pundits keep harping on about the other sides and for us to continue doing what we're doing under the radar.

Now that we're in the top 4 places if you compare our side man for man with the other teams we'll be competing with for 4th/5th (Newcastle, Man U, Brighton, Spurs) we're every bit as good if not better than all of those sides.

Jenas typically ignoring what happened in the 2nd half. We were bad in the first half. Much better in the second.  I am sure thet they look at the offsides and think it is luck rather than judgement. 

48 minutes ago, colhint said:

I think we need to up our goal difference. Were the lowest in the top 4. I can't see any of them a 4 goal defeat.

How often does something get decided by goal difference? Ours is plenty healthy and more importantly we're scoring at an average of almost 3 per game. The high line will mean we concede on a pretty regular basis but the trade-offs are worth it for the overall gains we're making. 

5 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Jenas typically ignoring what happened in the 2nd half. We were bad in the first half. Much better in the second.  I am sure thet they look at the offsides and think it is luck rather than judgement. 

Exactly. If an established big 6 side makes changes in a game where they're being outplayed and finds a way to win = 'that's what good teams do'. When it is us though, we just got lucky and our good fortune will soon run out etc. Jenas is a dullard with the beigest of opinions though, so I'm happy to disregard his 'analysis'.

• Like 2

We are here because Emery is a manager who goes for it every game. Hence almost zero draws.

Always felt draws were worthless. Have to stack up on them wins, not play not to lose.

2 hours ago, briny_ear said:

See your point but actually we have Ramsey and Moreno back - Ramsey came on as a sub on Sunday.

They aren't really back yet, and certainly aren't match fit. Ramsey's 10 min cameo does not mean he is back fully.

Hopefully they will both be able to get some minutes under their belts over the next couple of games and be fully fit by the time we hit the festive period.

The point stands that we have gone 13 games without 4 key players, and at least half of those without another (Carlos) and Mings & Buendia will not really be back before the end of the season, with those replacing them being new and on a very steep learning curve. 

To be where we are with the injuries and disruption we have had is remarkable and our injury situation is being massively overlooked by the media. Kamara was also out for a few games with injury as well wasn’t he?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

We are here because Emery is a manager who goes for it every game. Hence almost zero draws.

Always felt draws were worthless. Have to stack up on them wins, not play not to lose.

True to an extent, whilst I would of course prefer a draw to a loss, I would prefer 2 wins and a loss to a win and 2 draws....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

Exactly. If an established big 6 side makes changes in a game where they're being outplayed and finds a way to win = 'that's what good teams do'. When it is us though, we just got lucky and our good fortune will soon run out etc. Jenas is a dullard with the beigest of opinions though, so I'm happy to disregard his 'analysis'.

He's just bitter that he only managed three games for us before giving himself a season ending injury by tripping over his own feet.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pinebro said:

Leave that for your Moyes', your Franks', your Howes'.

I think we've had a *relatively* easy run of fixtures, with a bit of luck in our timing facing Spurs.

The next 6 games will be more of a litmus test of where we are as a team:

• Bournemouth AWAY
  • Man City HOME
  • Arsenal HOME
  • Brentford AWAY
  • Shef Utd HOME
  • Man Utd AWAY

Bournemouth and Brentford are pretty useful at home, so it's only really the Shef Utd home game that looks like one we'd be clear favourites to win.

I think Emery will keep working his magic, but it'll be tough to stay in the top 4, and will depend on injuries and a bit of luck.

• Like 2

If we had 6 starters out which included 2 centre halves, our best DM and our best play maker I don’t think we’re getting anything from the Spurs game. But that’s football. I’m sure we will have these kind of problems at some stage too during a very long season.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I think we've had a *relatively* easy run of fixtures, with a bit of luck in our timing facing Spurs.

The next 6 games will be more of a litmus test of where we are as a team:

• Bournemouth AWAY
  • Man City HOME
  • Arsenal HOME
  • Brentford AWAY
  • Shef Utd HOME
  • Man Utd AWAY

Bournemouth and Brentford are pretty useful at home, so it's only really the Shef Utd home game that looks like one we'd be clear favourites to win.

I think Emery will keep working his magic, but it'll be tough to stay in the top 4, and will depend on injuries and a bit of luck.

It’s apparently the hardest run of any team up to the new year. (Not sure how they worked that out). Those 3 points at Spurs were massive.