Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

11 minutes ago, villan95 said:

Some big fixtures over the next few weeks where we obviously play City, Arsenal and Utd. But elsewhere too.

Spurs face: City, Newcastle and Brighton

Man Utd: Newcastle, Liverpool, Chelsea, ourselves.

Newcastle: Man Utd, Tottenham

I assume we essentially just want draws all over the place?! 

To be honest, i really think we can get a result against either Arsenal or City.  I just think there is so much belief within this team that they will surprise some people outside of the club.  However I'm just going to enjoy the top 4 for the next week!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pinebro said:

Enjoy it while it lasts.

Considering we have Arsenal and City coming off I'm not sure for how long we can stay top 4.

If we carry on our form of the last 12 months, then we likely finish 3rd or 4th in the Premier league. It doesn't matter if we lose games, particularly against top teams. Or are you saying that we carry on losing after defeats to Man City and Arsenal? 

Actually, we did lose to Man City and Arsenal last season and then went on a 13 game unbeaten run straight after, winning 11.

Edited by turvontour
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, bcarpet said:

I assume we essentially just want draws all over the place?! 

To be honest, i really think we can get a result against either Arsenal or City.  I just think there is so much belief within this team that they will surprise some people outside of the club.  However I'm just going to enjoy the top 4 for the next week!

Yeah either draws or 2 teams doing particularly badly creating a gap to 6th (considering 5th should be a CL spot)

Unfortunately I can see Newcastle doing pretty well over December but if that means they take points off Spurs and Utd along the way it wouldn't be the worst for us potentially.

Edited by villan95
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

av13.thumb.jpg.834c74e82a60c71e4d772dca5a8216ae.jpg

Last season we had 12 points after 13 games, this year we have 28 points. Last year we had 28 pints after 23 matches. We are still on track to get above 2 points per game and get into top 4.

Is 2 points per game nearly always top 4? Were we also 2 points per game under Emery last season?

For the first time since 93....I feel like we are actually in the title race. Pinching myself. Arsenal are vulnerable as they don't really a centre forward to punish people and take chances. Liverpool do conceded goals and their midfield algas weaknesses. Man City....injuries, points deductions and weakness if Rodri is out means they could be caught this year..... I don't think any of the others will not have blips or don't have significant weaknesses. So we're in the mix. 

We do also have weaknesses - if Luiz, Watkins or Martinez get injured for any period, we're not top 5. We've not been here for a loooong time, so experience will also be a flaw. Home atmosphere is poor....as a season ticket holder sitting opposite the away end each week....its poor. 

But we do have several massive advantages. Noone thinks we're really anygood, so we'll keep under the radar for a good while yet. EcL is a fortnightly boost to confidence, keeps the run going and keeps people like Watkins and Bailey thinking they're world beaters. Unai, clearly the best put there apart from Klopp and PG. Although, they have the most money....maybe he is the best.... and the way we're set up on thebwhole saves a huge amount of energy, look at spurs fir the last 40 mibs yesterday. We've never fallen off like that and I don't think we will. Helps to keep squad fit and selection issues to a minimum. We've now got a bench to at lest compete with all but city and pool. 

I'm excited......and certainly never again will be betting against us.....VTID

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turvontour said:

Is 2 points per game nearly always top 4? Were we also 2 points per game under Emery last season?

Last season we got 1.6 points per game, but as you said under Emery we did the business, it was pre-Emery with less than 1 points per game that prevented us from reaching champions league.

2 points per game or 76 points, nearly always means top 4, there are a few rare occasion where 76 points would have given you 5th place. This season, it is very likely that even 5th place could get us into CL.

We have now played 38 games under Emery, and have taken 77 points. We just need to keep up that standard for our remaining 25 games this season, and we would have CL football next year.

• Like 1

Adding another graph to the mix, here's my 65 point season results projection based on fixture difficulty with 60 and 70 point adjusted lines, vs. actual point and a projection at the original 65-point trend.

av271123.thumb.jpg.356a15d97d3ec0cfa30e1e6476712c75.jpg

Currently we are 5 points ahead of the 65 point line, 3 ahead of 70 point line, with the original projection for remainder of season getting a 70 point finish and almost certain CL qualification if it drops to 5th. Continuing our over performance on the original projection, we'd be looking at a 79 point finish.

Have broken the remaining fixtures into groups to show what we need to do up to the winter break, the March international break, then the end of the season to get to 70 from now.

Xmas period to Winter Break - 8 games, 13/14 points, 1.6-1.8ppg (bou MNC ARS bre SHU mnu BUR eve)

City and Arsenal toughest of this run, but both at home might help us get something. Might not need it though as plenty of opportunities to get points elsewhere, so long as we can perform away. Should be looking at maximum 6 from Sheff Utd and Burnley at home.

Winter Break to March Internationals - 8 games, 15 points, 1.9ppg (NEW shu MNU ful NFO lut TOT whu)

I'd think we should be favourites for the majority of these games. Big chance to pick up plenty of points and ease the run in, which is the toughest group of the lot...

March Internationals to End of Season - 9 games, 13/14 points, 1.4-1.6ppg (WOL mnc BRE ars BOU CHE bha LIV cry)

The likely top 3 (two of them away), a local derby, Brighton away. Even Chelsea if they can get into gear and Brentford with Toney back could be tough. Hopefully we'll be heading into this run upwards of or as close to 60 points as possible. We are currently trending to hit around 62-63 points going into the March break...

1 hour ago, turvontour said:

Looking forward to us turning over Real Madrid at Villa Park.

"You've seen the Villa, now f*** off home".

Watched 5 or 6 villa lads after the game yesterday walking up the dodgiest most ill-lit street beside spurs stadium, weaving between spurs fans singing this at the top of their lungs. I may have been the last to see those guys ever!

On the title race - this may be the last year we get to win the league with City still in the league or without a points deduction. So for that reason alone I'd be happy enough finishing first this year!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, villan95 said:

Some big fixtures over the next few weeks where we obviously play City, Arsenal and Utd. But elsewhere too.

Spurs face: City, Newcastle and Brighton

Man Utd: Newcastle, Liverpool, Chelsea, ourselves.

Newcastle: Man Utd, Tottenham

4 points from our 3 would be very good imo.

Preferably beat United.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

I’d love it if we can get top at least once this season. Top 5 is a very realistic possibility now. 

Sheffield United on the Friday looks a good chance, would be cool to hear the Holte belting out "we are top of the league" as heard that a few times in the 98/99 season.

Would mean we'd probably have to take 4 points from Arsenal-Man. City (or at least not lose to both). Arsenal-Liverpool is actually taking place the day after the Sheffield match.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Pinebro said:

Enjoy it while it lasts.

Considering we have Arsenal and City coming off I'm not sure for how long we can stay top 4.

Does it matter if we beat Bournemouth, Brentford and Sheffield United?

Those are the games we need to win to get top 4.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Christ - we've been amazing and Man City are STILL 11 points better. Bastards 🤣

shows how much we have to improve to get close.

When we have our dips, like the first 20 minutes, yesterday, city don't......sure City have off days, but their dips are not as low as many other teams.

Despite our phenomenal turn around in form.....there is plenty for us to improve upon, to win over the neutrals.....and media.

20 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Does it matter if we beat Bournemouth, Brentford and Sheffield United?

Those are the games we need to win to get top 4.

Newcastle and Brighton are annoyingly consistent.

And Man Utd just have the knack of winning football games.

Doesn't look like it will be much room for error this season.

24 minutes ago, TRO said:

shows how much we have to improve to get close.

When we have our dips, like the first 20 minutes, yesterday, city don't......sure City have off days, but their dips are not as low as many other teams.

Despite our phenomenal turn around in form.....there is plenty for us to improve upon, to win over the neutrals.....and media.

I think a lot may hang on what reinforcements we can get in January.