Europa Conference League 23/24

HalfTimePost

On the one hand I do think Juve being in it would have made the competition slightly more prestigious. Like the idea of beating them to win a European trophy would have been nice. But on the other hand them not being in it makes it more winnable in theory and that's all that matters I guess.

I do agree that it seems to be much of a muchness in terms of the seeded and unseeded teams. Fingers crossed for a slightly easier draw, don't want it all to be over before it's even begun.

On 09/07/2023 at 12:49, TheMightyVillans said:

Wouldn't want to get florentina, Bilbao or Besiktas. everyone else seems fine.

I actually think rapid Vienna would be cool. Emery is king of breaking villa curses so would be nice way to enter the group stage by knocking them out.

Rapid - would be good, if only to see those crazy fans again 

On 09/07/2023 at 14:46, John said:

No, I make us favourites, the bookies may put the first two or three, ahead of us or on a par with us, but I wouldn't want to bet against us. ;)

Screenshot_2023-07-11-19-58-46-16_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg

Edited by mjmooney
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think we’ll be bookies favourites too.  I’m going to lump on. 

We haven't played in Europe for over 10 years. West Ham had at least played in the Europa League the year before. I am just hoping we get through the qualifier and see what happens.

• Like 2

Competition actually begins today with 2 matches taking place. 29 more matches tomorrow.

We find out who will be playing on August 7th with the first leg taking place on the 24th.

15 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Does being seeded or not determine which leg is at home?

No, when the draw is made, whichever comes out first is at home in the first leg and away in the second.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Ceemo said:

No, when the draw is made, whichever comes out first is at home in the first leg and away in the second.

But if its a seeded draw you have 2 bags of balls so how can they decide who is drawn first out of 2 bags!?

Just now, S-Platt said:

But if its a seeded draw you have 2 bags of balls so how can they decide who is drawn first out of 2 bags!?

Prior to the draw, UEFA form four groups in the Main Path, three of four seeded teams and four unseeded teams, and one of five seeded teams and five unseeded teams. Numbers are pre-assigned for each team by UEFA, with the draw held in two runs, one for Groups 1–3 with eight teams and one for Group 4 with ten teams. See the image below for last year, where each team has a number and plays another number on the corresponding side. The draw is a lot quicker by UEFA standards but also it means that the name of Aston Villa won't be coming out of one of the balls. That would happen in the group stage. The first team drawn in each tie is the home team of the first leg.

Screenshot 2023-07-12 at 19-31-42 2022–23 UEFA Europa Conference League qualifying phase and play-off round - Wikipedia.png

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ceemo said:

Prior to the draw, UEFA form four groups in the Main Path, three of four seeded teams and four unseeded teams, and one of five seeded teams and five unseeded teams. Numbers are pre-assigned for each team by UEFA, with the draw held in two runs, one for Groups 1–3 with eight teams and one for Group 4 with ten teams. See the image below for last year, where each team has a number and plays another number on the corresponding side. The draw is a lot quicker by UEFA standards but also it means that the name of Aston Villa won't be coming out of one of the balls. That would happen in the group stage. The first team drawn in each tie is the home team of the first leg.

Screenshot 2023-07-12 at 19-31-42 2022–23 UEFA Europa Conference League qualifying phase and play-off round - Wikipedia.png

So if I am understanding that correctly, what that means is....

I should wait until after the draw and just accept whoever they say it is. 

• Like 3