Sliding door moments

Mantis

9 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Vidic not being sent off in the cup final. I’m certain we would’ve won that game if that had happened. It would’ve been a deserved trophy under MON and Lerner may not have pulled the plug. 

What’s more shocking is he didn’t even book him so Vidic was allowed to continue fouling Gabby all game until finally booked in the second half. 

• Sad 1

On 24/05/2023 at 01:04, zab6359 said:

Totally agree, we were in freefall and Covid gave us a breather and time to regroup. It could be a very different picture now if that had been a normal season.

Ironic it helped us catch a breather really 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

What’s more shocking is he didn’t even book him so Vidic was allowed to continue fouling Gabby all game until finally booked in the second half. 

From memory Phil Dowd was asked after game why he didn't give red for a clear red card offence and he said I can't red card someone a few minutes into a cup final

• Sad 1

On 24/05/2023 at 11:18, KentVillan said:

I think it's a bit of a myth that Ferguson just surfed the Sky money wave. He was already one of the best managers in British football on paper, with the Aberdeen record + a couple of English cups under his belt.

A team containing Schmeichel, Bruce, Pallister, Irwin, Ince, Cantona, Giggs was always going to win trophies, then throw Beckham, Scholes, Butt, etc. in from the youth setup... I don't think we would have competed in reality, even with more money and more marketing appeal from winning the inaugural title.

Most likely we would have just fallen back into being a top 4 or 5 side even if we'd won the league, and Man Utd would have still kicked on and dominated the 90s.

I agree, but there  is a  bit of doubt - it would have been Ferguson's second year in a row of just missing out on the league.  And winning the league gives you confidence, more pulling power etc. They might not have been quite as dominant, and we'd  have been stronger too.

12 minutes ago, one_ian_taylor said:

I agree, but there  is a  bit of doubt - it would have been Ferguson's second year in a row of just missing out on the league.  And winning the league gives you confidence, more pulling power etc. They might not have been quite as dominant, and we'd  have been stronger too.

Maybe Shearer would have joined us instead of Blackburn? 

On 24/05/2023 at 02:57, The_Rev said:

I'm not sure I accept this one.   It's been talked about to death, mostly because it was the first game back after a hundred days without any football and the entire country was watching but it's importance has been overstated.  People like to talk about it as if it were another Aguerooooo! moment when the fact of the matter is that it was in the first half of our 29th game of the season.   It had as much of an impact on our points tally than the ref in the Palace game earlier that season having a meltdown and disallowing Henri Lansbury's 90th minute equaliser against Palace because he wanted to book Jack Grealish for diving even though Grealish had passed the ball and assisted the goal. 

_108569213_gettyimages-1171343099.jpg

But that wasn't on TV so it got forgotten about. 

On 24/05/2023 at 03:41, Delphinho123 said:

This was a truly, truly awful decision from the most arrogant bloke to referee the game. 

Hasn't reffed a Villa PL game since. He did ref a pre-season friendly and he "booked" the Villa friends for singing about him being a wa****r ( a lame PR attempt.) But I don't think he'll ever ref us again.

I guarantee that's Purslow's doing. 

1 hour ago, TheAuthority said:

He was tearing it up, he wanted to come and we offered 5 million for him. Wolves wanted 5.5 and of course Ellis was penny pinching.

That old ******* set this club back years through his crap.

OT, but I hope NasWes hurry up and change the name of the stand that has his name on it too!

3 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

Maybe Shearer would have joined us instead of Blackburn? 

Yes, maybe  - then again ( and I know I'm  contradicting my previous post somewhat), seeing as a lot of the posts on here are about the players we could have  signed,  maybe not. Ellis would still have been in charge. Would he have wanted to dominate the league or dine out on the success of a league win and keep the purse strings tight?

On 23/05/2023 at 21:35, Mantis said:

March 2009 - the 2-2 draw at home against Stoke where we threw away a 2 goal lead in the last 5 minutes. If we'd have won we'd have been 8 points clear in 4th, admittedly with still a lot of games to go but after that game we went on a 4 game losing streak and would only win 2 more games that season. We haven't really been as close to CL qualification since.

One thing that's always forgotten about this game is that we should have had a stonewall penalty in the last seconds. I think it was Carew clear through on goal with the ball bouncing at chest height and the defender just reached around him and swatted the ball away.

Winning that game would have been massive as not only would it put us clear but it would have justified MON playing the kids in Europe and given us huge momentum, instead we got a kick in the teeth, a load of bad feeling that we threw Europe away for nothing and a damp squib end of the season

I'd add the last minute winner v Watford the season we barely survived. They had full on new manager bounce and were in incredible form, had gone from rock bottom to 17th and above us in the weeks prior and took an early lead through Deeney and that last kick of the game, while huge for us would have been totally demoralising for them and they went on to get relegated while we survived on the last day

Edited by weedman
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, weedman said:

I'd add the last minute equaliser v Watford the season we barely survived. They had full on new manager bounce and were in incredible form, had gone from rock bottom to 17th and above us in the weeks prior and took an early lead through Deeney and that last kick of the game, while huge for us would have been totally demoralising for them and they went on to get relegated while we survived on the last day

Was a last minute winner

• Like 2

Missing out on Alemany could be one in terms of accelerated development. He would've been a serious coup and could've helped us sign players that might be otherwise out of our reach for the time being. 

There was a key moment in that playoff final against Fulham too where a Fulham player (Cairney?) should have been sent off for stomping on Grealish but didn't, which probably would have swung the match in our favour.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

A lot of folks have understandably said the Luc Nillis injury. For me, even more of a mistake was missing out on Robbie Keane.

He was tearing it up, he wanted to come and we offered 5 million for him. Wolves wanted 5.5 and of course Ellis was penny pinching.

But, while this was happening, Alex cocknose Ferguson came out in the press and said "I wouldn't pay 5 million for Robbie Keane. I think this actually psyched Gregory out (which cocknose Ferguson wanted) and so he didn't push Ellis for the extra 500k. Which of course was fine for Doug the tight git. But JG should have come out and said "I think he is worth far more and f**k off Red nose." This was how it read to me at the time. Anyone with inside knowledge - I'm happy to be proved wrong.

Keane then goes to Coventry (FFS) and Inter bought him 12 months later. Never injured, always worked his balls off and always scored. I really think he could have been a catalyst for our low scoring team relying on the limited Joachim and an aging Dublin.

I was working for the Villa then...and Im sure i have also heard it or read it somewhere since.....Gregory did want Keane but the paying the extra £500k was actually down to Gregory telling Ellis Wolves are getting enough and that they shouldnt be forced to pay more.

Either way...he would have been good for us......round about the same time period we had the likes Jouniho.....berkgamp.....even gazza from Itally in the door...but slipped away 

Â