Sliding door moments

Mantis

I just thought of another, the injury to Wilfred Bouma.

Gareth Barry was on the bench for the Intertoto tie with Odense. It was after his ill advised NOTW interview and his deal to Plop fell through because they spunked their money on Robbie Keane.

Barry came on to replace Bouma at left back and was greeted with muted applause (he had been booed the week before against Walsall I believe.)

I think if those circumstances had been different (i.e. no injury) I wonder if Barry would have been reintegrated as easily back into the squad? 

Can't believe that's 15 years ago 🤯

• Like 1

On 07/06/2023 at 03:28, Sulberto21 said:

Maybe Shearer would have joined us instead of Blackburn? 

There was talk of this when Guillt was manager at Newcastle. I think we were linked with three of their players at time including Shearer, all for 21million or something. Bizarrely, I remember reading the article on a beach in Greece circa 1998?

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Bazmonkey said:

Steve Bruce scoring in the 1000th mi  against Sheffield Wednesday in 93.....utd got the momentum...we faded away.

The rest is history....

That and Deanos fascination with the woodwork and Big Ron bringing Dalian back unfit for Dwight Yorke who was playing a blinder.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

I just thought of another, the injury to Wilfred Bouma.

Gareth Barry was on the bench for the Intertoto tie with Odense. It was after his ill advised NOTW interview and his deal to Plop fell through because they spunked their money on Robbie Keane.

Barry came on to replace Bouma at left back and was greeted with muted applause (he had been booed the week before against Walsall I believe.)

I think if those circumstances had been different (i.e. no injury) I wonder if Barry would have been reintegrated as easily back into the squad? 

Can't believe that's 15 years ago 🤯

We signed Shorey a week later so Barry would've been back in at CM regardless as committed he obviously was one of the best players at the club at the time.

In typical MON fashion with defence Luke Young ended up playing half that season at LB and we stuck Cuellar at RB.

• Like 1

On 07/06/2023 at 04:12, TheAuthority said:

A lot of folks have understandably said the Luc Nillis injury. For me, even more of a mistake was missing out on Robbie Keane.

He was tearing it up, he wanted to come and we offered 5 million for him. Wolves wanted 5.5 and of course Ellis was penny pinching.

But, while this was happening, Alex cocknose Ferguson came out in the press and said "I wouldn't pay 5 million for Robbie Keane. I think this actually psyched Gregory out (which cocknose Ferguson wanted) and so he didn't push Ellis for the extra 500k. Which of course was fine for Doug the tight git. But JG should have come out and said "I think he is worth far more and f**k off Red nose." This was how it read to me at the time. Anyone with inside knowledge - I'm happy to be proved wrong.

Keane then goes to Coventry (FFS) and Inter bought him 12 months later. Never injured, always worked his balls off and always scored. I really think he could have been a catalyst for our low scoring team relying on the limited Joachim and an aging Dublin.

Gregory wrote in his book and said he personally didn't think Keane was worth what Wolves wanted so given how often he criticised Ellis for not giving him more money it was interesting opinion but you could be right on Fergie trying to put pressure as back then we were regular top 6 finishers and had been up challenging for title for half of the previous season.

All for 500k, very Villa thing to do. We played some good football when Carbone turned up in the October but Keane was better goalscorer so a bit what if.

Edited by VillaChris

On 06/06/2023 at 20:39, El Segundo said:

The ref yellow carding Grealish at Palace - Look at his expression.  A mixture of glee and smug satisfaction and as if he's going "ha take that you diving bastard, and wotcha gonna do about it".  He was determined to book Grealish and didn't care how it happened. The arsehole.

was on the front row of the away end. grealish was in the refs and the lino's ear all game...calling them every name under the sun. i'm absolutely convinced this was kevin friend's revenge on the shit jack had given them throughout the game

• Like 2

Covid and the subsequent pause in the season. I know it's been discussed before, but I'm convinced we'd have been relagated without that time to regroup. 

There was the game where we played Leicester in 2015 where both teams were battling down the bottom end of the table, and we went 2-0 up through worldies from Grealish and Carles Gil, and they came back to win 3-2. 

I reckon that was a true sliding door moment for both teams. It gave them the belief that helped them go on to win the title the following year, and us circling the drain and getting relegated in the same season.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ponky said:

There was the game where we played Leicester in 2015 where both teams were battling down the bottom end of the table, and we went 2-0 up through worldies from Grealish and Carles Gil, and they came back to win 3-2. 

I reckon that was a true sliding door moment for both teams. It gave them the belief that helped them go on to win the title the following year, and us circling the drain and getting relegated in the same season.

This game was from the season that they won the title and we got relegated.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Gregory wrote in his book and said he personally didn't think Keane was worth what Wolves wanted so given how often he criticised Ellis for not giving him more money it was interesting opinion but you could be right on Fergie trying to put pressure as back then we were regular top 6 finishers and had been up challenging for title for half of the previous season.

All for 500k, very Villa thing to do. We played some good football when Carbone turned up in the October but Keane was better goalscorer so a bit what if.

The mad thing is we sold Oakes to the Dogheads a few weeks later for……..,,500k. 

Â