Aston Villa Kits 23/24

ferguson1

10 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

This is a bizarre comment. I understand that bus patterns aren't necessarily a good aesthetic choice, but what does being a  'classic club' have to do with a third kit (which, to my mind, should be a little bit 'out there'). Also, whilst I don't like either team, surely Spurs and Wolves are both 'classic clubs' too?

My statement was reference to all our kits. We can’t escape how traditional how club is. We have old fashioned colours, an old fashioned stadium and our “history” is mostly from a bygone era. Rather than trying to keep up with the two random clubs I chose who embrace the random pattern, let’s embrace our “classic” situation and run with it. 

when football branding zigs, villa should zag

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

It’s a joke… charging people so much for this absolute crap…

said this last week

£70 with then a weekend special code knocking 25% off or a joining code knocking 10% off or a free delivery code or a code from a villa podcast or a code from a villa social media account - I'm surprised they've not given us a VT code

why not just sell it cheaper?

29 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

This is a bizarre comment. I understand that bus patterns aren't necessarily a good aesthetic choice, but what does being a  'classic club' have to do with a third kit (which, to my mind, should be a little bit 'out there'). Also, whilst I don't like either team, surely Spurs and Wolves are both 'classic clubs' too?

i dont think anyone should be represented by random patterns personally and i hate this current trend

take the wolves kit and our kit, throw in the arsenal away kit and the utd away kit the liverpool 3rd kit the newcastle 3rd kit

now take the badges and logos off and swap them all around...would anyone notice? would anyone pick out that kit and say yep that villa? i've got no problem with the 3rd kit being out there, it should be different even to the point where its marmite....but ultimately it still needs to be a villa shirt

edit - the wolves one for example with the lighter / darker lines, why are they random shapes rather than simply overlapping the outline of the dogs head? the concept of it works exactly the same but it would actually mean something to wolves

Edited by villa4europe

3 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

My statement was reference to all our kits. We can’t escape how traditional how club is. We have old fashioned colours, an old fashioned stadium and our “history” is mostly from a bygone era. Rather than trying to keep up with the two random clubs I chose who embrace the random pattern, let’s embrace our “classic” situation and run with it. 

when football branding zigs, villa should zag

But we always do have pretty classic home and away kits, including this year. They may not be to everyone's tastes, but they're hardly avantgarde.

I think the 3rd kit carries the licence to experiment. Whether they've pulled it off is a different matter. 

BTW, how are neither Wolves nor Spurs 'classic clubs' though?

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

i dont think anyone should be represented by random patterns personally and i hate this current trend

take the wolves kit and our kit, throw in the arsenal away kit and the utd away kit the liverpool 3rd kit the newcastle 3rd kit

now take the badges and logos off and swap them all around...would anyone notice? would anyone pick out that kit and say yep that villa? i've got no problem with the 3rd kit being out there, it should be different even to the point where its marmite....but ultimately it still needs to be a villa shirt

I agree that the execution leaves a lot to be desired, it was more the sentiment that Villa kits (even the 3rd) should stick to their lane in perpetuity.

13 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

But we always do have pretty classic home and away kits, including this year. They may not be to everyone's tastes, but they're hardly avantgarde.

I think the 3rd kit carries the licence to experiment. Whether they've pulled it off is a different matter. 

BTW, how are neither Wolves nor Spurs 'classic clubs' though?

I’m talking about the pattens, not the entire kit. The patterns are bus seat patterns on all 3 kits. as I said, I chose two random clubs that embraced the random pattern generated patterns on their kits. I could have chose anyone. 

my overall theme is an idea to use traditional patterns rather than random patterns, because we are fortunately have a lot of traditional aesthetics already at villa, what a lot of clubs no longer have.   

Edited by CarryOnVilla

2 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

I’m talking about the pattens, not the entire kit. The patterns are bus seat patterns on all 3 kits. as I said, I chose two random clubs that embraced the random pattern generated patterns on their kits. I could have chose anyone. 

my overall theme is an idea to use traditional patterns rather than random patterns, because we are fortunately have a lot of traditional aesthetics already at the club, what a lot of clubs no longer have.   

The pattern on the away kit is not a random pattern though. It's a showcase of all the lions that the club has used since 1874. I'm not saying they've executed it well, but it's trying to connect with our heritage and history. 

The 3rd kit should be an opportunity for the designers to show us what they can do. They've not covered themselves in glory, but I disagree that the 3rd kit should be bound by the same criteria as the home and away. The home kit has a bus seat pattern for sure - not that anyone can see it after 90 seconds of being on the pitch. 

1 minute ago, StanBalaban said:

The pattern on the away kit is not a random pattern though. It's a showcase of all the lions that the club has used since 1874. I'm not saying they've executed it well, but it's trying to connect with our heritage and history. 

The 3rd kit should be an opportunity for the designers to show us what they can do. They've not covered themselves in glory, but I disagree that the 3rd kit should be bound by the same criteria as the home and away. The home kit has a bus seat pattern for sure - not that anyone can see it after 90 seconds of being on the pitch. 

You’re correct about the away pattern, Yet the lions were chucked in the blender and created a random pattern out of them. And it looks gash, we both agree with that 

3rd kits are always the “fun kit”, but why can’t it still be traditional at the same time? Or at the very least some time spent on the aesthetic design elements? 

The closest we had to what I’m talking about on all 3 kits was the Luke kits. Mostly traditional style and patterns on the home and away, and with a “wacky” 3rd kit, that wasn’t a random mess of a pattern. And the Luke kits are a majority fan favourite. 

what the club is and what we had with the Luke kits is some solid foundations to have a design ideal to create great kits in the future 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

You’re correct about the away pattern, Yet the lions were chucked in the blender and created a random pattern out of them. And it looks gash, we both agree with that 

3rd kits are always the “fun kit”, but why can’t it still be traditional at the same time? Or at the very least some time spent on the aesthetic design elements? 

The closest we had to what I’m talking about on all 3 kits was the Luke kits. Mostly traditional style and patterns on the home and away, and with a “wacky” 3rd kit, that wasn’t a random mess of a pattern. And the Luke kits are a majority fan favourite. 

what the club is and what we had with the Luke kits is some solid foundations to have a design ideal to create great kits in the future 

I think the difference is down to the execution, rather that whether it's traditional or not. Get the design on point, and it starts to matter less whether it's futuristic, traditional, edgy or safe.

FWIW, one of the training tops would make a better home kit than the actual home kit IMO, and the travel gear is more than decent, so there's definitely some capability with the design team. 

• Like 1

We have some excellent kits from the 90s (e.g. 1990 away). A lot of the versions created by fans on this site are great. I don't understand how the club can end up with designs like this. I want to buy a kit (from the Emery era) but my nervous system blocks me from actually clicking the 'Shop' button. 

21 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

I think the difference is down to the execution, rather that whether it's traditional or not. Get the design on point, and it starts to matter less whether it's futuristic, traditional, edgy or safe.

FWIW, one of the training tops would make a better home kit than the actual home kit IMO, and the travel gear is more than decent, so there's definitely some capability with the design team. 

Essentially you’re correct the execution is the main thing we all want want from a kit. 
however I’d like us to have a vibe with all our kits. Are we going futuristic, retro throwbacks, traditional, edgy or we just going to chop and change each season. In the terms of branding it be ideal to stick to a philosophy. With our situation with colours and stadium, we can’t go wrong with having a traditional philosophy across everything, including our kits. If possible even abandoning established kit manufacturers in favour of the Luke’s and some fashion houses. A Wales Bonner/adidas classic kit would be amazing, if that was ever possible 

Edited by CarryOnVilla
  • Like 1

I look back on the Reebok 95-97 kit and think they emphasise part of the point quite well. 

All different, but all definitely transmit 'Villa' in their design. I like how the shorts/socks can all interchange nicely as well from a design perspective. 

Not sure how you would repeat this every year to keep it 'fresh', but I'd argue claret, white, yellow, light blue (maybe navy and black too) included in some way in all shirts in some way would be a start.

EVE92PZXkAADVxD.jpg

Given how good some of the training and leisure kit stuff is this year and last (I absolutely love the three t-shirts I bought last season) the **** they have come up with for our actual kits is awful.  We've got a knock-off Chelsea badge, a knock-off Burnley home kit, an OK away kit that they messed up with a muddy / grubby mark that apparently is a deconstructed lion (not sure I get why it needed to be deconstructed) and a knock-off Wolves away kit.  **** me Heck must have had a ****ing meltdown when he saw the **** we were churning out this year.

At least we've got a pretty low bar for him to beat for next season.

Sack off anyone involved in the kit design and promote up those that were given the job of designing our leisure / training stuff.  They've come up with some cracking stuff.  I can't believe that there is any overlap between the two design teams.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

Is the issue not necessarily with the Fanatics design team, more who from the club is signing these off. If they've got poor taste, then we end up with the current kits.

I'm not sure how it works but I can't imagine that we only get given one option for Home, Away and 3rd, like it or lump it?

Can @NurembergVillan shed any light on the typical process?

7 minutes ago, May-Z said:

I look back on the Reebok 95-97 kit and think they emphasise part of the point quite well. 

All different, but all definitely transmit 'Villa' in their design. I like how the shorts/socks can all interchange nicely as well from a design perspective. 

Not sure how you would repeat this every year to keep it 'fresh', but I'd argue claret, white, yellow, light blue (maybe navy and black too) included in some way in all shirts in some way would be a start.

EVE92PZXkAADVxD.jpg

The entire 95-97 range were possibly the best looking complete set of kits we've ever had... but sweet Zombie Jesus they must have been the most uncomfortable, itchiest shirts I have ever worn.  The collars on the outfield kits felt like someone was scratching at your neckline, the collars on the goalkeeper kits felt like they were throttling you and the nipple chaffing was off the charts.  Reebok must have had Pinhead on staff that year.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, May-Z said:

EVE92PZXkAADVxD.jpg

Is Yorke sporting the Pro Shirt?