UK Strategic Planning

chrisp65

3 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

They're getting rid of the station staff to stop people splitting their fares aren't they.

It won't stop you splitting your fares, there are apps dedicated to split ticketing

If they are using that as a reason then they are particularly stupid

1 minute ago, bickster said:

It won't stop you splitting your fares, there are apps dedicated to split ticketing

If they are using that as a reason then they are particularly stupid

I weren't being entirely serious and I'm aware of Fare Splitter websites but if you're just rocking up and buying in the station (I don't think) the machines offer any facility to split fares as you can only buy from the station you're at.

8 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I weren't being entirely serious and I'm aware of Fare Splitter websites but if you're just rocking up and buying in the station (I don't think) the machines offer any facility to split fares as you can only buy from the station you're at.

No clue, I haven't bought a (mailnine) ticket at a station for years. I'm kind of forced to on Merseyrail but thats a different issue entirely

35 minutes ago, bickster said:

Portishead, the largest town in England without a rail link. Population 25k

Trivia really, not to detract from the general point, but it isn't

There's no simple answer to that question as you get into a mess of what does it mean to have a rail link, does it count if the town doesn't have one within its borders but there's one nearby? If not, how far away does the nearest station need to be to consider a town not served by a rail link, but off the top of my head, Gosport (82k), Leigh (42k) and Rushden (32k) are in the conversation

35 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

There's no simple answer to that question as you get into a mess of what does it mean to have a rail link, does it count if the town doesn't have one within its borders but there's one nearby? If not, how far away does the nearest station need to be to consider a town not served by a rail link, but off the top of my head, Gosport (82k), Leigh (42k) and Rushden (32k) are in the conversation

Yeah, I'll give you those, I was just quoting the claim in the video

The thing with the Portishead one though is that the trackbed is already there and it needs about three miles of track laying because most of that line has already been relaid for a freight line, even the company that the freight line runs to are in favour of reopening the line to passengers (presumably it'll help get their staff to work)

There are loads of these relatively small scale projects all over the country. I've banged on about the reinstatement of the Burscough Curves a few times on here. To have to travel to Preston on the train from Southport requires either going to wigan (and changing stations - short walk - no big issue) or going to Burscough and changing stations (except this time its a small hike and its one train an hour (at best). If they reinstated the curves that join the two lines that cross but do not meet, they could run direct trains. They could also close two stations and open a single new one and now Merseyrail have new trains, some of which are electric but also battery powered, they can even run on non-electrified lines

There is no actual will, that is the problem

• Like 2

I think we have to be a little careful romanticising the pre beeching railways in Britain.  The whole network wasn't as planned as such but just a load of different lines coming from railway mania in the 19th century. As a country we tend to be a bit suspicious of large-scale strategic planning as a whole.

Britsh Rail also stayed to steam far too long after the war.  By the 1960s there were loads of lines that were totally irrelevant, unprofitable, and needed to be streamlined, though there is an argument they went too far. At the time they underestimated the potential car increase and the impact of traffic and pollution on our cities.

49 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

🤓 Gosport used to have a station, the closest station by land now is Fareham (6 miles away), or if you hop on the Gosport ferry to Pompey you can get on the train at Portsmouth Harbour.

38 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

By the 1960s there were loads of lines that were totally irrelevant, unprofitable, and needed to be streamlined, though there is an argument they went too far. At the time they underestimated the potential car increase and the impact of traffic and pollution on our cities.

There we go, prime example of what I was talking about, this British obsession with railways making money

It's infrastructure FFS, it's there to get people from A to B, to earn a living or pay other people for their services. Most other countries in the world do not view public transport as a profit making venture, in Europe it's a very peculiar attitude

Beeching had a particularly short sighted view as did the government of the day, hence why an awful lot of lines are now begging to be reopened.

43 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Britsh Rail also stayed to steam far too long after the war.  

We were years ahead of most major European countries in abandoning steam and those that were ahead of us were ahead by less than a decade, this is nonsense

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The claim seems to centre on the fact that they have unconscious bias training for staff, and a diversity and inclusivity policy, which the sun and some throbbbers on the back benches think is some radical left wing wokery, and a waste of money, rather than typical of large organisations and a rounding error in the budget of hs2.

Of course a cynic might argue it's the latest effort to convince the plebs that they've won done great cultural victory against an imagined enemy while we endure yet another national failure.

The country is going to the dogs, but at least we got one over on those people who wanted gay trains.

Edited by Davkaus

It would make me laugh if it wasn't actually fueling a proper culture war.

the real headline here is 'normal people discover what's been happening in corpo and big business for literally years'

We have such training over here, and Poland is definitely not woke by any measure.

• 4 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Look at those pictures! Nothing quite says welcome to your new family home like the oil stain under the tarmac patch for your little audi you bought on a pcp.

Not a single tree and hardly a patch of grass/shrubbery etc in sight. It is horrible. 

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

Â